VOGONS

First post, by mindaugas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get Win98se up and running on a sis741gx chipset with 963L southbridge. I keep hitting blue screens and windows protection errors on the USB drivers. It has USB 2.0, which I disabled, to no avail. Everything runs fine until I get to the USB drivers ... Anyone have any ideas? Mobo is kinda generic, sis741gx-mn maybe evertek maybe asrock. Looks like a common layout used across the board with manufacturers.

Reply 1 of 4, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you using these drivers?
https://www.asrock.com/mb/SIS/K7S41GX/#Download

There's a "Patch_98.exe" file in the MISC directory. The instructions are vague, but maybe this needs to be run first. Also, if your board is similar:

ASRock I/O - 4 ports default on rear panel + 2 ports upgrade VIA® header

Are using the USB headers, it looks like those are VIA-based. You may need a different set of drivers for those, but I'm not certain.

Reply 2 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mindaugas wrote on 2022-04-08, 03:19:

I'm trying to get Win98se up and running on a sis741gx chipset with 963L southbridge. I keep hitting blue screens and windows protection errors on the USB drivers. It has USB 2.0, which I disabled, to no avail. Everything runs fine until I get to the USB drivers ... Anyone have any ideas? Mobo is kinda generic, sis741gx-mn maybe evertek maybe asrock. Looks like a common layout used across the board with manufacturers.

I have the Asrock (K7S41GX) and don't have any particular issues with USB - usually just install the OS (98SE) and then let the Asrock AMD-SIS install CD (v1.9g) deal with the remaining SIS-specific stuff like AGP, LAN, audio, USB & VGA etc. The Evertek does look like a close clone of the Asrock, but the layout is slightly different.