VOGONS

First post, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a mysterious unbranded MS-50 MIDI module for €40,-. I couldn't find anything about it online, so mystery tempted me to buy it. Today the package arrived and I tested the module. From my personal experience it was the worst General MIDI synthesis I have ever heard from a MIDI module, though still very charming and enjoyable in a way. It even greatly underperforms to the already cheaper Yamaha TG100 in my opinion, a module I actually really like despite its lower sample quality. It has an unique sound to it. Nevertheless, the MS-50 is charming in a way and I am glad I got it in my collection.

Anyways, I have no idea what kind of module it is, so I was hoping you guys could help me identify it. I made a few pictures of the internals, which should help. I also posted an unlisted video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/BcRgA14YFek (It is a quick phone recording so the sound quality is poor, beware it doesn't do the MIDI module justice.) Thank you guys in advance!

All the best,

Miko, Strahssis

Attachments

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 1 of 3, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are multiple DREAM chips in there and it is a fairly generic, low-end MIDI hardware module that was sold in Asia, in markets where the expensive Roland and Yamaha units were not going to be an option for most.

SAM9233 is the MIDI chip itself.

GMS940800 is the 1MB GM MIDI ROM.

Here is an older thread about what is essentially the same unit.

"Kaysound" MS-30 General MIDI unit..??

Reply 2 of 3, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for the information. That unit looks almost identical yeah, it is missing a few chips that mine has, but otherwise it is the same. That topic was an interesting read, thanks! 😀

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM

Reply 3 of 3, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For anyone interested in the sound of the MIDI module I made a recording of the factory demo through using the line-in on my PC. Enjoy! 😀

Attachments