VOGONS

First post, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just picked this up ("Kaysound MS-30" sound module) after seeing it in a local classified ad for pretty cheap. What caught my attention was the General MIDI logo on it, but that is the only thing I am familiar with on this sound module....I have never heard of Kaysound and I opened it up hoping to find Roland chips in there somewhere but to no avail.

Has anyone ever heard of this sound module or "Kaysound" for that matter? I am just curious. Also, I am curious to hear if anyone has ever used one and what they think.

Here are some pics including a photo of the specs page from the manual...from the looks of it, it's capabilities are similar to that of a Roland SC-7 (?)..except that this seems to have a couple more drumsets I think...just a simple GM sound module I guess.

20140703_234701.jpg
Filename
20140703_234701.jpg
File size
140.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20140703_233239.jpg
Filename
20140703_233239.jpg
File size
197.1 KiB
Views
File license
20140703_233156.jpg
Filename
20140703_233156.jpg
File size
198.41 KiB
Views
File license
20140703_233052.jpg
Filename
20140703_233052.jpg
File size
140 KiB
Views
File license
20140703_233011.jpg
Filename
20140703_233011.jpg
File size
206.28 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 2 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting... Nice find btw
Stojke is correct, we need some inside pics and some recordings, the gm-fixed dooms are a good candidate to record from IMHO

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 27, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks guys...I am working through the weekend so I don't know if I will have time to set up my system to record sounds anytime soon, but when I make time (hopefully by next week) to do so, I will hook up this Kaysound unit and my SC-7 as well and do some comparison recordings and upload.

here are some pics of the inside:

Looks like an "MX" chip in there and then some samsung chip too...it's all totally out of my realm of understanding... 😕 , but the construction of this thing is actually seems to be of high quality despite it looking like a 'knock off'.

A cool feature is the demo mode as well that plays a little GM song when it's all hooked up.

20140704_164550.jpg
Filename
20140704_164550.jpg
File size
304.37 KiB
Views
File license
20140704_164651.jpg
Filename
20140704_164651.jpg
File size
247.31 KiB
Views
File license
20140704_164607.jpg
Filename
20140704_164607.jpg
File size
304.28 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 5 of 27, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks like a Dream chipset with SAMxxxx marking under the sticker (not "Samsung" btw). I guess the next request would be... peel that red sticker off! (please) 🤣

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 6 of 27, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The GMS940800 is a 1 MB ROM soundfont used with older Dream hardware.
I am not sure which kind it is, usually GMS96xxxx is Roland and GMS97xxxx are Cleanwave.

Might be a SAM9407 ?!?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 27, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:

That looks like a Dream chipset with SAMxxxx marking under the sticker (not "Samsung" btw). I guess the next request would be... peel that red sticker off! (please) 🤣

🤣 ...I should have done that in the first place. The "Samsung" chip now says "SAM9233" 🤣 and removing the white label off the MX chip revealed some more info as well...

20140704_173943.jpg
Filename
20140704_173943.jpg
File size
354.53 KiB
Views
File license

Thanks to everyone for the great info....now I at least know a bit more about this 'weird' sound module. If you know anything else about it, please share.

Reply 8 of 27, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gah... I was going to put my guess on 9233 🤣 -- by the number below that "9539" -- because after racing to google images I found at this page
http://www.amoretro.de/2011/09/terratec-maest … -soundcard.html
see "9541" there, so i guess it's some kind of batch number...(or product number/global revision number)?
Anyway it should sound similar to Terratec Maestro 32/96 then!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 9 of 27, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very cool...I have always wanted a Terratec Maestro 32/96! 🤣 But of course this is not nearly as good, but at least I have a part of a Terratec Maestro 32/96 I guess. 🤣

Great find on the picture BTW...thanks for the info.

Reply 10 of 27, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately the module will sound nowhere near the Maestro 32/96. The synth is the same, it's the SAM9233. But the module lacks an effects processor and only has 1MB of ROM instead of the 4MB ROM used on the higher quality boards.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 11 of 27, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh well... I was just going to say to retrofanatic that the owner of that site is probably on vogons and would definitely know more about this stuff.

Btw, great site FGB! Good job on the photography as well. 😀

Reply 12 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what I can add to this is that the MX27C1000 is a 128kbyte eeprom , most likely holding the device's firmware along with that demo song mode.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 27, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FGB wrote:

Unfortunately the module will sound nowhere near the Maestro 32/96. The synth is the same, it's the SAM9233. But the module lacks an effects processor and only has 1MB of ROM instead of the 4MB ROM used on the higher quality boards.

In this case it's more like a SC8600 (Maxi Sound Home Studio) in a box 😵 Will definitely not compare to a SC 7 or SCB 7 but it's a strange device for sure 🤣

Reply 14 of 27, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This comparison is a bit off, since the SC8600 cards have a Dream SAM9407 and upgradeable RAM up to 16 MB. This is the same Dream DSP used on Terratec EWS64 cards. With those cards you can load the Roland soundfont

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 16 of 27, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quality isn't only up to the synth chip. Many cards are based on the SAM9233 synth but they differ in the quality of the music. This is because the synth has to be fed by a soundfont stored in a ROM or RAM and thus the soundfonts size has a massive impact on the sound quality. Im most cases the bigger the soundfont / ROM size the better the quality of the samples stored inside (of course there are exceptions like 4MB soundfont compressed to 2MB and such).

The Maxisound 64 HSP (ESS codec based) card mentioned above is usually fed by the 4MB Roland Sound Canvas soundfont but has the ability to use other compatible (even larger) soundfonts via the RAM upload technology (like Elianda mentioned). But there is another MaxiSound 64 card (Crystal codec based model, SC8500, IMO the better of the two models) that has the 4MB Roland soundfont in ROM and the additional possibility to load another soundfont into the RAM or even attach a daughterboard to the card.

@archsan: Thank you very much!

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 17 of 27, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't rememmber what was my SC8600 default rom size and I never managed to get soundfont into the ram working (very frustrating to make it fully work into dos, never tested it in windows)... At that time my first reaction was to blame both the synth and default samples quality, because even by disabling internal amplifier, using the line out, shut non used lines and tweak the mixer for hours it always sounded like sh.. (both in GM and OPL3 emu) compared to my SB16/SCB 7 combo 😒 ... very bad experience for me, never touched it again in 3 years 🤣

Edit :
Sure using it as a Wavetable header was the really interesting thing for me, because of the low noize ratio when setting up correctly (but opl3 emu screw it up when combinig the two in games). That the only positive point that i can truly acquiesce.

Last edited by darksheer on 2014-07-05, 23:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 27, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SC8600 has no ROM, its RAM based. But there is an easy tutorial how to load any compatible (.94B) soundfont in pure DOS, made by my fellow countryman Elianda. Here you go: Guillemot Maxi Sound home studio 64 pro - no music in pure DOS Give it a try, some soundbanks sound really nice 😀 However there is no solution to load a soundfont in DOS with the SC8500 model yet (but this card has the 4MB Roland soundfont in ROM.).

Reply 19 of 27, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😀 Thanks for the link, I will maybe give it a try again. If i remmenber correctly the 9m soundfont sounded very nice in some recordings. I tried to force 9m soundfont by renaming it like the default one at that time 🤣