VOGONS

First post, by Mitsuke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a EPoX EP-D3VA Dual Pentium III motherboard today. I always wanted to experiment with dual P3's so why not, I went ahead and bought it for fairly cheap.
Sadly, it does not seem to work. It turns on but I get nothing on the screen. I have no speaker so I have no idea if its throwing some error code or not. I tried with different RAM modules as well as different AGP cards and still nothing. CPU, chassis and GPU fans spin and the keyboard lights up for a few seconds. Pressing NUM LOCK does nothing.

I have no idea what else to try. I think its dead.

Could I have killed the motherboard while installing it?

Reply 3 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any life if there's nothing in the keyboard socket? (no keyboard, no adapter)
Fresh CMOS battery?
CMOS jumper not in "shipping" position? (some boards have that, basically disconnects it so it doesn't run down)
8 month old chicken born on a full moon and scrying dagger on hand for advanced diagnostics?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 4, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe a BIOS flash procedure has gone bad by the previous owner, but first things first and see above.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856