VOGONS

First post, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone.

I was looking trough my pile of project boards and came across a PCPartner 486CV, missing cache, the UMC RTC and a resistor. It was scavenged for parts, probably to fix another more interesting motherboard, and I'd like to get it up and running again so I can build a 486 for a friend of mine who wants to get into retro PCs.

sd1l2f7l.jpg

The EEPROM is missing, (not an issue, I have spare EEPROMs and I found the BIOS archived online). The RTC is also missing, so I'll put in one of those - a Dallas or Odin RTC should work. Where I'm stuck at right now is the missing resistor - specifically R93 right above the RTC socket.

resistor.jpeg
Filename
resistor.jpeg
File size
326.86 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

If anyone has one of these boards in your collection, could you please attach a high resolution photo - or better yet - measure R93 with a multimeter? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Reply 2 of 5, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
r00tb33r wrote on 2022-11-01, 07:40:

Photos of these boards are online. You can try reading the color bands of that resistor.

Or you can PM this person:
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Online photos are no help. I can't tell if the bands are maroon, gold, brown or red, but I will PM our forum mate, maybe he's willing to snap a couple of shots for me. Thanks!

Reply 4 of 5, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2022-11-01, 07:29:
Hello everyone. […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone.

I was looking trough my pile of project boards and came across a PCPartner 486CV, missing cache, the UMC RTC and a resistor. It was scavenged for parts, probably to fix another more interesting motherboard, and I'd like to get it up and running again so I can build a 486 for a friend of mine who wants to get into retro PCs.

sd1l2f7l.jpg

The EEPROM is missing, (not an issue, I have spare EEPROMs and I found the BIOS archived online). The RTC is also missing, so I'll put in one of those - a Dallas or Odin RTC should work. Where I'm stuck at right now is the missing resistor - specifically R93 right above the RTC socket.

resistor.jpeg

If anyone has one of these boards in your collection, could you please attach a high resolution photo - or better yet - measure R93 with a multimeter? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hello, I am just curious: Why are you so sure, that there was a resistor mounted on R93? What about R49, it would be missing, too.

Reply 5 of 5, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2022-11-02, 22:35:
Socket3 wrote on 2022-11-01, 07:29:
Hello everyone. […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone.

sd1l2f7l.jpg

resistor.jpeg

Hello, I am just curious: Why are you so sure, that there was a resistor mounted on R93? What about R49, it would be missing, too.

Hi - all pictures I found of this board have a brown / orange resistor mounted in R93 right under the blue resistors - and there are de-soldering marks and flux on the back of the board right where R93 would be soldered.

From the low quality pics I found so far R93 seems to be yelow / black /gold / silver - but could also be yellow / black / gold / gray... or yellow / black / yellow / grey..... Here's a pic I found on theretroweb:

unnamed-5fdddd0000e87396220220.jpg
Filename
unnamed-5fdddd0000e87396220220.jpg
File size
353.72 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0