Topic actions

Reply 33461 of 52769, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nice board 😀
the gigabyte site says "Support up to AMD K6-2/400"

I was supposed to get a GA-586ATX a while ago that I scooped up on ebay for really really cheap... but the seller never shipped it and never replied back either 🙁 no paypal unfortunately.

got another PICMG board though, including a Pentium III 1.2Ghz
spotted only one bulging cap

hardware38_12.jpg
Filename
hardware38_12.jpg
File size
365.07 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 33463 of 52769, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Next scrap pile 😁 Made the seller an offer which he declined. At the end I got it cheaper than that....

Really difficult to spot the usable parts in it....most important task will be to get rid of all the remaining junk again when I get it 😉

s-l1600 (2).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (2).jpg
File size
492.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
494.02 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 33465 of 52769, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote on 2020-04-17, 18:05:

Next scrap pile 😁 Made the seller an offer which he declined. At the end I got it cheaper than that....

Really difficult to spot the usable parts in it....most important task will be to get rid of all the remaining junk again when I get it 😉

[pics]

Some interesting stuff in there! There appears to be what's left of a Commodore brand IBM Compatible in there, consisting of its two interconnecting boards. If anything it'd be worth selling on for parts if it's still in OK shape, or maybe sticking in some case to make it a PC again. Also some neat ISA, PCI and AGP cards, among what appears to be VCR and other A/V PCBs.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 33466 of 52769, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Daniël Oosterhuis wrote on 2020-04-17, 18:41:

[pics]

Some interesting stuff in there! There appears to be what's left of a Commodore brand IBM Compatible in there, consisting of its two interconnecting boards. If anything it'd be worth selling on for parts if it's still in OK shape, or maybe sticking in some case to make it a PC again. Also some neat ISA, PCI and AGP cards, among what appears to be VCR and other A/V PCBs.

Correct. Its the Commodore PC10 (XT). Board is divided in 2 parts
https://www.commodore-info.com/foto/computer_pc10_04.jpg
Also asked for the case but seller didnt know what I am talking about...

Reply 33467 of 52769, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Next scrap pile :-D Made the seller an offer which he declined. At the end I got it cheaper than that.... […]
Show full quote

s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

I love lots like that. So much fun to dig through.

I spot an MFM + Floppy card on the left and a Cirrus Logic GD510\520 ISA card in there. From what I've read they are known for excellent (near perfect) CGA compatibility, where as many other VGA cards have issues. Would probably make a nice card for a 286 or 386. I'm sure it isn't very fast, but for a system that may dabble in really old CGA games it may be handy. 😀 I have at least one of these (and another one that's similar) but have yet to really tinker with it. I know they're fairly uncommon though.

Certainly a good sign for that pile. Who knows, maybe the whole bottom layer is all ISA sound cards. 😱

EDIT: Almost forgot... my absolute favorite thing about these really old parts is that they almost always work. They are very light weight and have very few fragile components on them, so they can take a beating. Compare this to scrap lots with late AGP cards. Ughh... I think only about a third of the cards I find made after the year 2000 have all of their SMD components intact. Once you hit the FX and Geforce 6 or 7 series I'd say about 10 percent have survived unless they're in boxes or antistatic bags. I have very little concern with static but those bags have saved SO many cards from having all their SMD caps sheared off.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 33468 of 52769, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PODP3V125 - latest addition to my growing family of Pentium Overdrive chips:

Attachments

• DSC_6809.jpeg
    Filename
    DSC_6809.jpeg
    File size
    313.69 KiB
    Views
    File license

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 33469 of 52769, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today there was a good buy-at-once offer for a Commodore PC10 case with PSU. I was sure I got the corresponding board longer time ago in a scrap lot and repaired it. Therefore this would be a perfect match.
Just found the board and happy to get the system complete without having space for it 😁

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
193.78 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0963r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0963r.jpg
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 33470 of 52769, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

heh nice, that has been there for months iirc ^^... I contemplated about getting one of those for a while just because I like the look but I wouldn't have any commodore stuff to put in, so I'm glad to see that happen ^^

I saved a boatload of hardware from scrappers today by going way above my comfortzone in bidding... like literally all of the bidders apart from maybe one or two with lower bids were scrappers... there were about five 486 boards with VRMs and one with some other local bus... theoretically just worth it for those if they work, only one of them seems to be corroded.

was three seperate auctions, one with a bunch of simms and coast modules, one with like 20 boards and one with a bunch of gpus a SB 2.0 and some other cards.

Reply 33471 of 52769, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

.snipped out some of the seller's pictures:

this seems to be an Opti Local Bus board? good luck to me ever finding a fitting card x3

identify01.jpg
Filename
identify01.jpg
File size
624.45 KiB
Views
File license

I'm sure someone of you can tell me where this one belongs to ^^

identify02.jpg
Filename
identify02.jpg
File size
101.56 KiB
Views
File license

some of the other boards... the hyundai board seems to have quite bad corrosion, the others look pretty OK
on one the battery leaks quite badly but the board looks fine

identify03.jpg
Filename
identify03.jpg
File size
337.89 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 33472 of 52769, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The one on the bottom left, which one is that? When I zoom in, I cannot see the markings. I never knew Hyundai made motherboards or computers.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 33473 of 52769, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

looks like this one: https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … 471&menustate=0

I haven't found much about the hyundai board yet either, I did know they made computers though.

Reply 33474 of 52769, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any other markings on the Hyundai board? Good haul as well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 33475 of 52769, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a bunch of 486 parts today. Moscow is in lockdown now, so I've used a delivery service — which resulted in seller packing quite a lot more stuff than I asked for...

Iwill SIDE controller: SCSI, IDE, floppy, LPT and COM on one port. Someone took the BIOS chip — if anyone has a BIOS image, please let me know.

l25hkGym.jpg

A regular VLB controller.

DIg9fDGm.jpg

An unknown SIS471 VLB board without jumper description:

V3ua5sKm.jpg

Gave me some beeps with the wrong RAM. Once I changed the RAM, it stopped giving any kind of feedback. Then I tried a few other DX2s I have. Intel ones didn't work, but I had some progress with Cyrix DX2-66. Some text appears on the screen, but after a second everything disappears. In other cases there would just be a green rectangle in the center row of the screen.

Another SIS471 — no BIOS chip.

nEg2jnLm.jpg

A UMC-based motherboard, supports only 5v chips. It works, so I immediately replaced the barrel battery.

h8GeSUVm.jpg

A-Trend OPTi-895 Deep Green Model 1442G. It worked with an Intel DX4, though it occasionally gives the "no keyboard error" (even though the keyboard works even then). It also reports 0KB L2 cache even though the motherboard obviously has 256 KB. Any way to get rid of the "no keyboard error"?

MtFlpgrm.jpg

PC Partners PCI board with a UMC chip. Works.

q2k2Bo0m.jpg

Another PCI board with an ALI chipset. Works.

nz3nNU3m.jpg

A PCI-400 motherboard. Doesn't work.

AHyQsEVm.jpg

A DataExpert EXP4045 motherboard — doesn't work.

hhZZrYam.jpg

A 486SLC board with a VLB and an FPU. Doesn't work.

MmEe1htm.jpg

Some controllers and VGA cards for ISA.

0OVAgf5m.jpg
0AtK4FRm.jpg

Last edited by jheronimus on 2020-04-19, 00:40. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 33476 of 52769, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nice 😁 more 486 boards
also that 486SLC board is an Alaris Leopard including the FPU 😀

bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-04-19, 00:08:

Are there any other markings on the Hyundai board? Good haul as well.

I'll be able to tell when I get them ^^ only other thing I can decipher is "DX4 CPU 100" and what looks like "GA-486V3S REV/D" ...gigabyte OEM it seems.

fits: https://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486vlb3/ga486vsp.jpg

Reply 33477 of 52769, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-04-18, 23:21:

.snipped out some of the seller's pictures:

this seems to be an Opti Local Bus board? good luck to me ever finding a fitting card x3
identify01.jpg

Nice. I wish I found this as I have a matching card and keep looking for a board 😀

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 33478 of 52769, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote on 2020-04-19, 00:14:
Got a bunch of 486 parts today. Moscow is in lockdown now, so I've used a delivery service — which resulted in seller packing qu […]
Show full quote

Got a bunch of 486 parts today. Moscow is in lockdown now, so I've used a delivery service — which resulted in seller packing quite a lot more stuff than I asked for...

A PCI-400 motherboard. Doesn't work.

AHyQsEVm.jpg

Got a same one recently. I can see a bunch of missing jumpers, which might be the issue.

EDIT: The VRM is missing.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4