VOGONS

First post, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello vogoners, I am trying to revive my trusty soyo 6ze+ because it is a Soyo, and unfortunately while it was decommissioned in Working state, I found it trying to boot in boot block mode. It asks for a bios file and I tried successfully programming the bios using awdflash but the mobo does not post at all. I tried to program the bios on another mobo by hot plugging it and even though It was a successful task using uniflash 1,40 the motherboard posted correctly one time with some destroit colours and on every other try the mobo booted in boot block mode. The original bios chip is a mx28f2000tpc and I tried with the same outcome a winbond 49c020. It seems that the rom stored on the bios chip gets destroit. I measured the vcc to 5v and vpp to 12v. What else could cause a rom getting destroit? Any clue out there because it is a Soyo?

Attachments

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try flashing the bios again and remove all hard drives before booting up. There are known old virus/worms that can write to bios on older unprotected boards.
If still gets corrupted then it a board issue... just a quick thought.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try using a chip programmer. If that doesn’t work, replace the chip.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you replaced the capacitors? Both Soyo boards I have had failing capacitors. I just checked on Ebay, and the one listing I saw for a 6ZE+ has some obviously bulging caps.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 6, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there, I bought a new bios chip and even though it is written mx 28f2000,it is recognised as 28f010.i believe it is a China fake chip where I can only write 128kb.i tried to program a w49c but writing fails. Does the chip kb arrangement is specific to the mx28f2000 only? Which chip is a direct replacement? The caps looks okey. The original chip was placed 180degreea differently and it got super hot yet it is recognised, uniflash programmes it okey yet award 535a fails to write it. The bios chip after uniflash programming only enters me in boot block mode. Any thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited by amijim on 2023-02-02, 12:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 6 of 6, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So which bios chip is a direct replacement?

Attachments

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350