VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-02-27, 00:40:

danieljm, Are you running a MMX cpu ? You have it set to 2.8v core.
Right ! they have solder pads for a possble coin cell holder, see here: https://theretroweb.com/motherboard/image/m54 … 53941170738.jpg
Where the little map of N/S America, two pads and one looks like it has a + symbol (right one)....and what could be a 4pin external header location just below

Hey Horun,

This isn't my thread, I was just trying to offer a comparison to my board which I know to be an M549. I think you meant to ask that question to thisab. 😀

Cheers.

Reply 21 of 31, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
danieljm wrote on 2023-02-27, 00:54:
Hey Horun, […]
Show full quote
Horun wrote on 2023-02-27, 00:40:

danieljm, Are you running a MMX cpu ? You have it set to 2.8v core.
Right ! they have solder pads for a possble coin cell holder, see here: https://theretroweb.com/motherboard/image/m54 … 53941170738.jpg
Where the little map of N/S America, two pads and one looks like it has a + symbol (right one)....and what could be a 4pin external header location just below

Hey Horun,

This isn't my thread, I was just trying to offer a comparison to my board which I know to be an M549. I think you meant to ask that question to thisab. 😀

Cheers.

Yes. Sorry I copied your name instead of thisab when I posted. My bad. Old farts make mistakes, and the older I get the more I make 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 23 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-02-26, 10:55:

Hello,

And one more question: Are you sure that those 2 8MB modules are compatible to each other? They look very different. But hard to tell from this picture.

I also have this consern.

But I see you are now using another memory stick that also may not be supported. Try a 16 chip 32 mb stick. Or a matching set of 8 or 16mb simms

Anyway, reset bios to defaults, disable ide and floppy, disable shadow ram, disable pci functions. Etc. see if you can get some change.

Also try a different video card, and check IRQ plug n play settings

(Try without diag card just to try everything also)

But anyway, code 52 appears to be a issue initializing your isa option roms
So play with the shadowing options and memory options in bios.

The only card you have with an option rom is the video card, I would suspect it not to be the problem as it has already loaded, but it may be trying to shadow it? Idk.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 24 of 31, by thisab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Horun: Yes, its an MMX CPU and Ive set it to 2.8v and P55C like the manual instructed for this kind of CPU.

As an update:
- Ive swapped the CPU with another CPU (a 233MHZ MMX). Same thing.
- Swapped the RAM to two FPM 4MB. Still the same problem.

At this point, I think its either the BIOS or something else wrong with the board.
Anyhow, Motherboard seems to be the culprit.

Reply 25 of 31, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
thisab wrote on 2023-02-26, 21:46:

Doornkaat: Yea, I was surprised at first, but I saw a lot of (bad) comments about these PCChips on Vogons. However I dont have that kind of equipment 🙁 .

Do you have another motherboard with a 32pin BIOS EEPROM that you can use to hotflash the possibly faulty EEPROM?
Even a PCI NIC with 32pin socket may be enough.

Reply 26 of 31, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try a new bios chip. Could be a writing cycle limit reached.
NVRAM update not happening, as already posted a few times.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 27 of 31, by thisab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The NVRAM theory makes a lot of sense.
I got another board (m571v32) and "transplanted" all the components from m549 and its all working fine. That m571 board has a problem with DIMM2 socket tho (any stick of RAM there reduces the clock speed of the processor to 175MHz and when I run a memtest it reboots). Runs fine with EDO or with DIMM1 populated.

Maybe replacing the m549 BIOS chip and copying to another one might solve the problem.

Never used an EEPROM programmed before.. Ive bought a Sp200se from China. Is that enough?

Reply 28 of 31, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thisab wrote on 2023-03-15, 18:54:
The NVRAM theory makes a lot of sense. I got another board (m571v32) and "transplanted" all the components from m549 and its al […]
Show full quote

I got another board (m571v32) and "transplanted" all the components from m549 and its all working fine. That m571 board has a problem with DIMM2 socket tho (any stick of RAM there reduces the clock speed of the processor to 175MHz and when I run a memtest it reboots). Runs fine with EDO or with DIMM1 populated.

Maybe replacing the m549 BIOS chip and copying to another one might solve the problem.

Never used an EEPROM programmed before.. Ive bought a Sp200se from China. Is that enough?

It should have a bios chips compatibility .pdf somewhere.
I use a TL866+.
Wait for some knowledgeable people.

Reply 29 of 31, by thisab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-03-16, 01:21:
It should have a bios chips compatibility .pdf somewhere. I use a TL866+. Wait for some knowledgeable people. […]
Show full quote
The NVRAM theory makes a lot of sense. I got another board (m571v32) and "transplanted" all the components from m549 and its al […]
Show full quote

I use a TL866+.

Well, some update, ripped the label from the BIOS chip, but I could not find any info as to what the heck is this chip:
An MT12097 H.T.
Totally blank at the bottom.

I could not find any info on that thing...

Attachments

Reply 30 of 31, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thisab wrote on 2023-04-02, 13:18:
Well, some update, ripped the label from the BIOS chip, but I could not find any info as to what the heck is this chip: An MT120 […]
Show full quote
Nexxen wrote on 2023-03-16, 01:21:
It should have a bios chips compatibility .pdf somewhere. I use a TL866+. Wait for some knowledgeable people. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I use a TL866+.

Well, some update, ripped the label from the BIOS chip, but I could not find any info as to what the heck is this chip:
An MT12097 H.T.
Totally blank at the bottom.

I could not find any info on that thing...

Try a 12V 28F001BX-T, that's the one I used as I also had a rebranded EEPROM chip H.T. xxxx.
Anything compatible with this https://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/66024/ … 28F001BX-T.html will probably work.
1-MBIT (128K x8) 12V

Reply 31 of 31, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an identical card, it had some faults, two I fixed, one was the Dallas-like chip, I made a change, but it only serves to store in the BIOS, it had a completely flat battery, the first problem was with the RAM, fixed by doing a bridge over a track in the back, the last problem (which I haven't solved) is the L2 cache, it doesn't work, and when starting the PC it crashes.
I got around this problem (for the moment), by disabling the L2 cache from the BIOS, and by memorizing this setting, the PC starts up, even if it is slower.
I ran a K6-2-400 at 360MHz (60 6X), putting the VCore jumpers at 2.5V, I could if I had a K6-3 ignore the bad cache problem, since it's integrated in that CPU (256KB).
I don't remember which page of the link, but if you have time and patience, you can find interesting ideas (I hope they can help you), I didn't understand if you can enter the BIOS, but try holding DEL or DEL immediately after turning on the PC.

Re: Test and troubleshoot PC@LIVE motherboards

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB