VOGONS

First post, by thisab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

This is my first post so pardon if I make a mistake.

I have an old motherboard that after a search looks like a PCChips m549. It was stored for a really long time.
It has a Pentium MMX 200MHz installed and has two EDO 8MB sticks attached.
I checked the jumpers with the manual and inscriptions in the motherboard and the voltages and clocks seem to match the config (66MHz FSB, 5v for the EDO, 3.0X multiplier).

After powering it on with a PCI video card (SIS) and a debug PCI card it can properly POST. It counts the memory. I disabled the "Quick Test" so it tests the memory multiple times.

I can enter the BIOS, detects the hard-drive, etc.

BUT...

After the POST, the AWARD logo disappears and that is it. Nothing else happens.
The debug card shows It is stuck on code 52.
Although "stuck", keyboard responds (NumLock+Caps) and Im able to issue a Ctrl+Alt+Del and reboot.

I tried removing the FDD, HDD, changing a lot of BIOS options to no avail.

So.. being out of options I forward the question to anybody that could help me.
I hope this might be something silly instead of a hardware problem, but my hopes are low due to this system being so old..

Ive attached an image with the Motherboard stuck on code 52.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 31, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try to clear the CMOS and reconfigure the BIOS with only essential settings. On Award BIOS, error code 52 is about additional ROM that failed initialization (on cards or on embedded expansions). Try not using shadowing.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 2 of 31, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to the forum!😃
I think I see a Dallas style RTC module. Some boards get buggy if the battery is empty. Can you change it or mod it with a battery holder?
Also do you have any way of reprogramming the BIOS EEPROM?

Reply 4 of 31, by thisab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Datadrainer:
I tried with all shadow options Disabled too. Tried with BIOS default settings, resetting/clearing the BIOS too.

Doornkaat:
Actually its one of those fake Dallas. There is only a plastic cap called "Houston Tech" (see houston.png), but below there is a VIA chip (vt82885n see houston_capremoved.png) and this Motherboard uses a Cr2032 battery that is brand new.

CoffeeOne:
Good question. I could not find any info from them on the internet, Ill post a picture of both of them here (mem.png and mem2.png) .

Attachments

Reply 6 of 31, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thisab wrote on 2023-02-26, 14:53:
Datadrainer: I tried with all shadow options Disabled too. Tried with BIOS default settings, resetting/clearing the BIOS too. […]
Show full quote

Datadrainer:
I tried with all shadow options Disabled too. Tried with BIOS default settings, resetting/clearing the BIOS too.

Doornkaat:
Actually its one of those fake Dallas. There is only a plastic cap called "Houston Tech" (see houston.png), but below there is a VIA chip (vt82885n see houston_capremoved.png) and this Motherboard uses a Cr2032 battery that is brand new.

CoffeeOne:
Good question. I could not find any info from them on the internet, Ill post a picture of both of them here (mem.png and mem2.png) .

Hmm,

GM71C18163BJ6 chips: EDO RAM
TMS44400DJ chips: Fast Page Mode RAM.
I would not combine those. Seems not to work 😁

EDIT: Please change the topic heading to "Stuck on code 52 - m549 + Pentium MMX 200 - EDO 8MB + FPM 8MB", haha.

Reply 7 of 31, by thisab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Doornkaat: Yea, I was surprised at first, but I saw a lot of (bad) comments about these PCChips on Vogons. However I dont have that kind of equipment 🙁 .

CoffeOne: Well, that might be the problem. I assumed both were EDO. Its a shame, I only have those 2 sticks. These RAM are crazy expensive and rare to find in my country (more than $100 for a single stick). I will try to find another similar one to test it.

Reply 8 of 31, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thisab wrote on 2023-02-26, 21:46:

Doornkaat: Yea, I was surprised at first, but I saw a lot of (bad) comments about these PCChips on Vogons. However I dont have that kind of equipment 🙁 .

CoffeOne: Well, that might be the problem. I assumed both were EDO. Its a shame, I only have those 2 sticks. These RAM are crazy expensive and rare to find in my country (more than $100 for a single stick). I will try to find another similar one to test it.

OMG. Where are you from? In Germany you would be able to get a 8MB EDO stick for about 4 EUR without shipping.

Reply 9 of 31, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-02-26, 22:03:

OMG. Where are you from? In Germany you would be able to get a 8MB EDO stick for about 4 EUR without shipping.

Even is USA you can get two matching 8Mb EDO for $9-$10 including shipping 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 31, by thisab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im from Brazil actually 😀 . These retro stuff are hard to find here and I guess its much cheaper to import it from elsewhere .

Well it turns out that I have a couple of PC100/PC133 memories laying around. And this motherboard supports SDRAM.
So, after much testing I could get it to power on with a PC100 64MB stick on DIMM1.

BUT... same issue

Last edited by thisab on 2023-02-26, 23:11. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 11 of 31, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thisab wrote on 2023-02-26, 22:58:
Im from Brazil actually :) . These retro stuff are hard to find here and I guess its much cheaper to import it from elsewhere . […]
Show full quote

Im from Brazil actually 😀 . These retro stuff are hard to find here and I guess its much cheaper to import it from elsewhere .

Well it turns out that I have a couple of PC100/PC133 memories laying around. And this motherboard supports SDRAM.
So, after much testing I could get it to power on with a PC100 64MB stick on DIMM1.

BUT... same issue

Most boards with Intel VX chipset only support DIMMs with a maximum of 32MB as far as I know.
I will not move to Brazil!

Reply 12 of 31, by thisab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-02-26, 23:03:
Im from Brazil actually :) . These retro stuff are hard to find here and I guess its much cheaper to import it from elsewhere . […]
Show full quote

BUT... same issue

Most boards with Intel VX chipset only support DIMMs with a maximum of 32MB as far as I know.
I will not move to Brasil!

I think its because these FPM/EDO RAM were mostly from a time of a protectionist ("Import substitution") era that ended around 1996. At that time, not even NES or SNES were common, they had their local versions (NES > Phantom System).

Nowadays we have high import taxes, but not that kind of protectionism anymore.

As for the DIMM, it accepted it fine, but it is still stuck (image attached).

Attachments

Reply 13 of 31, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thisab wrote on 2023-02-26, 23:16:
I think its because these FPM/EDO RAM were mostly from a time of a protectionist ("Import substitution") era that ended around […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-02-26, 23:03:
Show full quote

BUT... same issue

I will not move to Brasil!

I think its because these FPM/EDO RAM were mostly from a time of a protectionist ("Import substitution") era that ended around 1996. At that time, not even NES or SNES were common, they had their local versions (NES > Phantom System).

Nowadays we have high import taxes, but not that kind of protectionism anymore.

As for the DIMM, it accepted it fine, but it is still stuck (image attached).

Hello,

Sorry, I am not convinced that the DIMM is supported. Can you make pictures of the DIMM (both sides)?
The 32MB DIMMs that work have to be double sided with 16 chips in total, so consisting of 16Megabit chips. Everything with higher density will not work probably. Like hanging on boot.

Reply 14 of 31, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

This won't help you immediately, but I just want you to be careful that you might not have an M549. I've got an M549 myself and it doesn't use a CR2032 battery. The chip under the Houston cap has a battery soldered to it. I had to do a really ugly job soldering in a new battery on top of the chip when I first got it. 😀

It's possible that there are different revisions of the board, but mine also has "V5.0" printed in the corner, so I'm guessing you might have a different model entirely.

Reply 15 of 31, by thisab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CoffeeOne:
Here https://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/pcchips/m549.htm it says that it accepts (16Mx4, 8Mx8, 4Mx16 SDRAM pc66).
Well, I dont have any memory that fits that criteria. This stick has a whopping 32 memory chips (16 GM72v16421ct10k on each side). Its weird that it POSTs and could count the 64MB.
I posted both sides.

danieljm:
Well, that is weird, mine has a v5.0 printed also (v5.png). If its not an m549 then Im out of guesses.
It looks exactly like this picture including placement of the caps, except for the CR2032 battery: https://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/pcchips/m549p.jpg

Attachments

Reply 18 of 31, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thisab wrote on 2023-02-26, 23:49:

Here is a full top view of the mb

I scanned my board compared to yours, and from what I can see they certainly look almost identical.

The keyboard controller chip is different. Mine is Holtek HT6542B and yours is VIA-II VT82C42N. That probably doesn't mean anything, but it's notable anyway.

And the only other thing I see is the CR2032, but my board has solder points for a battery holder. I'm not an expert with a multimeter, but I think they are electrically connected to that Houston socket. It could be just a later manufacturing change, or an aftermarket mod. Either way, I'm wondering about adding it to my own board now. 😀

Reply 19 of 31, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

danieljm, Are you running a MMX cpu ? You have it set to 2.8v core.
Right ! they have solder pads for a possble coin cell holder, see here: https://theretroweb.com/motherboard/image/m54 … 53941170738.jpg
Where the little map of N/S America, two pads and one looks like it has a + symbol (right one)....and what could be a 4pin external header location just below

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun