VOGONS

Re-making worst mouse ever

Topic actions

First post, by AmbraSprintaII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

My first PC was an Ambra Sprinta II, a machine I still own. I have a thread about it here: Ambra Sprinta II

It originally came with a mouse that has been described as 'a torture device'. And even by 90's standards, the design is certainly questionable.
Here are some images from wikimedia for reference.
450px-AMBRA_mouse_%28closeup%29.jpg 450px-AMBRA_mouse_%28underside%29.jpg

Well I wanted to "recreate" this abomination, as I've since lost mine. I'm trying to learn a bit of FreeCAD, but I'm admittedly pretty bad at it. Trying to measure off the pics from wikimedia, I ended up with something like this.

freecad_model.png
Filename
freecad_model.png
File size
64.6 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I used the guts from an old logitech mouse. It was a USB one, but supported PS/2, so I just rewired it with a PS/2 cable.

transplant.jpg
Filename
transplant.jpg
File size
150.98 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I found a spray paint primer, that had a similar color. Not a perfect match, but good enough to tickle my nostalgia.

top.jpg
Filename
top.jpg
File size
51.81 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
bottom.jpg
Filename
bottom.jpg
File size
85.06 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And here it is, paired with the machine. And I'm pleased it actually works really well.

paired.jpg
Filename
paired.jpg
File size
126.8 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I know it is sub-par work in pretty much every step of the build. But it's at least a project that I got somewhat finished.
I might revisit it later, and to a better job in sanding and painting, maybe print a logo and make an acrylic window that is still missing.

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day fellow retro-pc enthusiasts!

Reply 2 of 21, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At first I thought it didn’t look as bad you described it, but then noticed where the buttons were.

Nice job with the recreation though! With the logo dome sticker it should look pretty good.

Reply 3 of 21, by AmbraSprintaII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TrashPanda: I don't think you need to worry. Even with my half-assed resurrection attempt, they are very much extinct.

devius: Yeah, it's not great. But, it is actually not as bad as it looks. You just kind of rest your fingers on the top edge of the buttons, and it click pretty much like a 'normal' mouse. You don't need to 'make a claw' and click using the flat part of the buttons. Still though... Weird and bad design, but it's what I grew up with and it certainly made an impression 😀 Thanks for the encouragement!

Reply 4 of 21, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AmbraSprintaII wrote on 2023-03-02, 09:38:

TrashPanda: I don't think you need to worry. Even with my half-assed resurrection attempt, they are very much extinct.

devius: Yeah, it's not great. But, it is actually not as bad as it looks. You just kind of rest your fingers on the top edge of the buttons, and it click pretty much like a 'normal' mouse. You don't need to 'make a claw' and click using the flat part of the buttons. Still though... Weird and bad design, but it's what I grew up with and it certainly made an impression 😀 Thanks for the encouragement!

I will say I do like the shiny new version ...wonder what it would look like in clear plastic ...with rainbow vomit leds in it.

Reply 6 of 21, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AmbraSprintaII wrote on 2023-03-02, 10:53:

ThrashPanda: Thanks! Ugh... I felt bad enough about using an optical mouse 😀

I think it being in clear colored plastic would be a great fit for 2000 era colored acrylic cases ..you know the ones with the tacky clear colored plastic on them...the kind you can see the literal metal case under it.

Reply 7 of 21, by AmbraSprintaII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TrashPanda: Yeah, I know the ones, the iMac look-a-likes. Well, sure, but there has to be a better designs out there to work off... The only reason for this is to replicate my original setup. To have a mouse somewhat like what this computer originally had... Coming to think of it. The original iMac mouse was pretty damn horrid aswell...
440px-Apple_USB_Mouse.JPG

Reply 8 of 21, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AmbraSprintaII wrote on 2023-03-02, 13:34:
TrashPanda: Yeah, I know the ones, the iMac look-a-likes. Well, sure, but there has to be a better designs out there to work off […]
Show full quote

TrashPanda: Yeah, I know the ones, the iMac look-a-likes. Well, sure, but there has to be a better designs out there to work off... The only reason for this is to replicate my original setup. To have a mouse somewhat like what this computer originally had... Coming to think of it. The original iMac mouse was pretty damn horrid aswell...
440px-Apple_USB_Mouse.JPG

Your mouse actually looks significantly better than the original, The shiny look works well for it.

Reply 11 of 21, by AmbraSprintaII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TrashPanda: Well, it's just a layer of clear coat to protect the paint a bit. Not really all that intentional tbh, but thanks!

Doornkaat: It sure is. Thanks 😀

Deunan: I might have exaggerated with the 'worst ever'. I'm sure there are worse. I looked it up and I'd agree that the Genius mouse sure does not look very ergonomic.

Reply 12 of 21, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deunan wrote on 2023-03-02, 13:47:

The original Genius 3-button mouse was a torture device. At least this one is round, I still remember palm pain from playing mouse-driven adventure games back when I had the Genius.

It was hardly great, but no, there were far, far worse mice.

After four years of inflicting RSI on myself with the IBM PS/2 mouse I saved up pocket money for a few months to buy that Genius mouse, and it was as close to bliss as a pointing device could get my teenage self in 1992.

Even now I have one lying around as a known-good serial test device. Not something to actually use for any extended period of time, but perfectly serviceable to see if everything is wired up correctly.

Reply 14 of 21, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This had to be a desirable mouse shape, even russians cloned it https://svoymaster.kz/%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B … B5%D1%80%D1%8B/

P90727-181123-900x506.jpg
P90727-181147-900x506.jpg

and pictured on the wikipedia: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0 ... 9A-0010.01

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 15 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a monstrosity somewhere similar in footprint, not sure it's quite so domed, like a puck stuck to a matchbox, buttons are on top more. I wanna say it was by someone who should have known better like Logitech, not sure though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 16 of 21, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-03, 15:31:

This had to be a desirable mouse shape, even russians cloned it https://svoymaster.kz/%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B … B5%D1%80%D1%8B/

But the buttons are on the right place on that one, so not exactly the same.

Reply 17 of 21, by AmbraSprintaII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
devius wrote on 2023-03-04, 14:55:

But the buttons are on the right place on that one, so not exactly the same.

But it makes up for it by using a ribbon cable 😀

Interesting find, thank you rasz_pl for sharing!

Reply 18 of 21, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yo, this is SO COOL. An Ambra Sprinta was my first computer growing up and I actually had no problem with the mouse. Sadly my dad threw it all away after I moved out, but last year I found one on eBay for hardly any money. Sadly it had no peripherals, but did have the monitor. Can you share na STL or something of your design? I would love to have a go at making one as I have a 3D printer.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 19 of 21, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ALSO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4RkkjiYu0k

i'm happy they didnt blow up the mouse when they plugged it directly into the serial port on that PC.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.