VOGONS

First post, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all.

Struggling with a problem that has introduced itself to my 486. This system used to work perfectly, with the following setup:

-TMC EISA VLB board (PET48PN), 16MB RAM, 486DX/50, 512KB cache
- QDI QD6580 VLB controller (IRQ14)
- Tseng ET4000 W32i
- Voyetra V-4000 (330h, IRQ3)
- Adaptec EISA SCSI interface (IRQ11)
- 3com Etherlink III 3C509B (280h, IRQ10)
- Gravis UltraSound Classic (240h, IRQ7, DMA3)
- Sound Blaster 16 CT1740 (220h, 300h, IRQ5, DMAs 1&5)

COM1 is configured with defaults (IRQ4, 3f8h), COM2 and parallel ports are disabled. Obviously the SCSI card is configured with the correct CFG file. It all worked perfectly and I was very happy.

I then embarked on a benchmarking project, which involved the installing and uninstalling of various cards and CPUs. After completing this I restored the system back to its original condition and... the mouse didn't work. Obviously I removed everything I could (keeping the graphics card and the controller) and the mouse worked again. I subsequently realised it happens consistently when I install *any* kind of sound card, modem or video capture card. Not the MIDI card, NICs, graphics cards or anything else. So what do these problem cards have in common? They have an audio DAC and they use -12V. There may be other similarities, but I can't for the life of me fix the problem now. I tested the -12V rail with and without a sound card installed and there is no change. I measure the expected -11V on pin 2 (TX) of the serial port.

I have tried VLB and ISA hard drive controllers. I have tried ones with integrated COM ports and I've disabled them and used standalone COM cards. The same effect is observed. Obviously I switched the mouse. The weirdest part is that mouse drivers (I tried Logitech and CuteMouse) load and recognise the mouse, but when I open any program that could use it (such as games, EDIT, MSD, even Windows 3.11) the cursor is static. I have at times observed the cursor 'juddering' when it's not working.

Why would it now not work when it worked fine before? It's the weirdest (and yet, seemingly, simplest) problem I've ever encountered and I can't crack it. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 1 of 3, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In case someone else has a similar issue (or something else that can't be explained or solved through the standard troubleshooting process), a physical inspection of the motherboard revealed that a drop of moisture had caused calcification around some vias at some point. This caused conductivity where there shouldn't have been any, and cleaning it up resolved the issue. More details on the VCF thread I made.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there! Not sure what exactly is the cause here.
However, you can try the Sigma mouse driver, too.
Re: How do you get a serial mouse working

If you like, also try MS Mouse driver 9.0, it uses less interrupts and a better protocol format.

There's one thing to check, I can think of - the COM1's UART FiFo.
Maybe it's broken. If it's an old 16450, it may cause unnecessary interrupts, too.

You can try replacing it by an 16550AFN, for example. It's pin compatible.

On an ISA multi-i/o card, you merely have to desolder old chip and install a socket.

CheckIt, MSD and Dr. Hardware can check the UART type.

The 16550A also allows higher baudrates, so you can increase baudrate from 1200 Baud (standard mouse speed) to something like 9600 or 19200 Baud.

In Windows 3.1x system.ini, an FiFo entry can be set to enable 16550 support.
WfW 3.11 has updated serial port drivers, too.

Edit: I'm a bit confused today, never mind. I just realized you had solved the issue.
Good work! 🙂👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-05-17, 16:55:

Edit: I'm a bit confused today, never mind. I just realized you had solved the issue.
Good work! 🙂👍

No worries - thanks for the suggestions. I was lucky enough to have multiple serial cards that I could test, so I was able to eliminate the UART as an issue that way - this would be a useful step for someone who only had one serial card.