VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are there any open source (or closed) projects to build an adapter that converts NES/SNES to DB15 (gameport) ?

I know it's easier to convert Sega Genesis (?) controllers but I'm wondering if anything exists for NES/SNES.

Reply 2 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi. It's perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but older emulators on DOS had schematics included
which described how to use real controllers of the the systems they did emulate.
However, they were mostly designed around the parallel port, I'm afraid.

Um, what also comes to mind.. There were NES/SNES-style joysticks for PC.
The Gravis gamepad looks like a NES 2 look-a-like (that NES "bone" controller).

In theory, it's also possible to get an used old NES/SNES gamepad and replace/mod the PCB.
Making a PC joystick is simple, in theory. Buttons are just.. buttons.
And instead of using a pair of 100KOhm variable resistors (potentiometers),
a couple of fixed-value resistors must be wired to the four diagonale buttons (d-pad).
That's as far as the theory goes. I don't have a schematic at hand with the correct values, sadly.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update. Found the driver I was thinking about.

"What is PPJoy?
PPJoy is a joystick device driver for Windows 2000 and later. There is also limited support for Windows 98 and Windows Me.
PPJoy was designed for joysticks connected to the parallel port but it also supports other devices via the virtual joystick interface

Supported devices are:

Digital joysticks for the Commodore 64, Atari, ZX Spectrum and other computers of that era.
Playstation controllers.
NES, SNES and Virtual Gameboy controllers
Sega Genesis controllers
PPM and PIC interface Radio Control transmitters
Joystick emulation using the keyboard or mouse

Windows will treat these devices just like any other joystick and they can be used in any game or application that accepts joystick input.
"
https://web.archive.org/web/20050909145837/ht … s/PPJoyMain.htm
It was also being mentioned at Zophar's Domain.: https://www.zophar.net/joy.html

For DOS, there's SNESKey, a Joystick simulator for DOS/Windows. Uses Parallel port, too, of course.
Current versions: SNESKey 1.63 Beta (DOS) and SNESKey9X Beta 3 (Windows 9x)

"Supported Devices

SNES
NES
NES Four Score (4 player adapter)
Sega Genesis (3 and 6 button)
Atari 2600 joystick
Atari 2600 driving controller (like the paddles, except spins all the way around)
PC Joystick (mainly for compatibility testing, the support isn't that great)
Gravis Game Pad Pro
MS Sidewinder
Playstation
"

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20020807204115/ht … ork/default.htm

Hope that helps! Good luck! 😁 🤞

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//