VOGONS

First post, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all (: This is the first CD-ROM I had access to as a kid, so it'd be pretty cool to get one working on my Compaq 386.

The Problem:
Detected by SCSI ASPI install, but not detected by CD-ROM driver on Boot

"Device driver not found: 'ASPICD0'
No valid CDROM device drivers present

Similar to SCSI CDROM DOS Drivers [?] but different drive and adapter
Wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/19961110142952/ht … rt/allparts.htm (Fusion CD Kit, not Fusion 16)
Not sure if it was sold with a PAS or with some other SCSI adapter. I haven't figured out "which" PAS-- that might be a solution.

Best Guesses:
- Special host adapter (NEC?), cord, or terminator needed
- Something wrong/missing in autoexec.bat or config.sys
- PSU issues causing intermittent power

What I've tried:
- I have an Adaptec SCSI host adapter ADAPTEC AHA-1510A (Both CD-rom and adapter are 50 pin Centronics) It includes a CD-ROM driver.
- Opened it up to look for a terminator jumper or slot.. didn't see one
- There are switches on the bottom, but they just change address. I have tried several. On similar models one activates an internal terminator, but this one doesn't say that.
- Changing the host adapter ID and jumper positions
- EZSCSI (not sure how I landed on this) seems to install fine, detects the CD-ROM as an NEC CD-ROM (Correct), and modifies the Autoexec and Config.sys automatically
- ASPI seems to install fine at Boot and load host adapter

Notes:
- I don't know much about SCSI termination. The adapter is terminated. The CD-ROM doesn't have anything recognizable as a terminator or socket.
- I don't know much about the DEVICE line in these startup files or how that's supposed to work. I could use an explanation (:
- There is some light but noticeable corrosion on the CD-ROM board. I don't have a schematic to test voltages.
- Sometimes during SCSI install it freezes when it gets to the CD-ROM device ID (currently 6).
- The CD-ROM wants 10 volts DC and its plugged into a 9 volt DC adapter, since I don't have 10 handy.. if that's dumb I have a 10v in the mail and several 12V adapters
- There is a list of drivers mentioning PANASCSI on a shady driver site that tries to download spam. But is this a clue?

Thanks a million for any help. Please let me know if this is the wrong area of the forum. I'll try to respond in a timely way. Just interested in getting it working as a CD-ROM drive.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 36, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrt Termination on the cdrom, https://th99.infania.net/r/M-O/60108.htm will help

It seems to be a 1x cdrom, so I doubt it will do any synchronous or disconnects on the scsi bus, and while such things should be "automagically".
Try disabling them using
DEVICE=C:\SCSI\ASPI2DOS.SYS /D /C- /U- /Q10
in stead of the aspi2dos line you have in your config.sys

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-07-17, 17:36:
Wrt Termination on the cdrom, https://th99.infania.net/r/M-O/60108.htm will help […]
Show full quote

Wrt Termination on the cdrom, https://th99.infania.net/r/M-O/60108.htm will help

It seems to be a 1x cdrom, so I doubt it will do any synchronous or disconnects on the scsi bus, and while such things should be "automagically".
Try disabling them using
DEVICE=C:\SCSI\ASPI2DOS.SYS /D /C- /U- /Q10
in stead of the aspi2dos line you have in your config.sys

Thanks very much weedeewee
- Good to know about the termination switch. I have it set to "on" since this is what the Adaptec manual wants.
- Sadly, the new arguments cause the machine to hang up during boot, but it resumes normally if I power off the CD-ROM
- I also tried with termination off, in case that somehow caused the hangup, but no dice
(There is a disc inside and it does spin when powered on, lights normal)

Reply 3 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried several combinations of the arguments. With parity checking disabled, the drive apparently loads successfully, but `DIR` always returns a "Not Ready" error. I'm not sure if the drive should have parity checking or not.

Reply 5 of 36, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alphaharris wrote on 2023-07-17, 18:42:

I tried several combinations of the arguments. With parity checking disabled, the drive apparently loads successfully, but `DIR` always returns a "Not Ready" error. I'm not sure if the drive should have parity checking or not.

Is it possible the disc cannot be read? Have you tried another CD?

Reply 6 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sangokushi wrote on 2023-07-17, 19:22:

Is it possible the disc cannot be read? Have you tried another CD?

I have tried a few 90's CD-ROMs. Notably the behavior is exactly the same if the door is just left open.
The "busy" light barely goes on but the "not ready" is returned right away, which in any other device would make me check jumpers.. but there isn't anything other than the switches noted above.

"Finicky" is probably right. I have tried powering on and off at several points before and after boot.

Reply 7 of 36, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alphaharris wrote on 2023-07-17, 19:45:

I have tried a few 90's CD-ROMs. Notably the behavior is exactly the same if the door is just left open.
The "busy" light barely goes on but the "not ready" is returned right away, which in any other device would make me check jumpers.. but there isn't anything other than the switches noted above.

"Finicky" is probably right. I have tried powering on and off at several points before and after boot.

Since the drive can be used as audio CD player. When it's not connected to SCSI bus, it plays audio CD without problem?

Reply 8 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sangokushi wrote on 2023-07-17, 21:19:

Since the drive can be used as audio CD player. When it's not connected to SCSI bus, it plays audio CD without problem?

Good question..
I think it requires software to play audio CDs. The only control is a volume knob, like some internal drives.
When I put in an audio CD it just spins .. no sound from the headphone jack (both connected and disconnected from SCSI).

Reply 9 of 36, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alphaharris wrote on 2023-07-17, 18:42:

Termination should stay on on both ends of the chain/cable,
sometimes it's the host as one of the outer ends, with the other end being a device or seperate terminator, or
it can be two devices, either internal or external, though most likely the internal one being at the end of the cable and the external one being at the end of the cable.

With parity checking disabled it at least finds the drive .?
ie aspicd does not show "CD-ROM driver not loaded:..."
you already showed a picture once of aspi2dos, aspicd, mscdex & ... being loaded, can you post that again with the parity disabled switch ?

Do not ask Why !

Reply 10 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-07-17, 22:47:

With parity checking disabled it at least finds the drive .?
ie aspicd does not show "CD-ROM driver not loaded:..."
you already showed a picture once of aspi2dos, aspicd, mscdex & ... being loaded, can you post that again with the parity disabled switch ?

- Yes, that makes sense to me about termination. That is currently the case, with just the host adapter and external device.
- It does find the drive (:
- Certainly

Attachments

Reply 11 of 36, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try disabling "Fast SCSI' on the 1510, those old drives were mated with a NCR 53c80 or NCR 53c90 (The Fushion CD had either the Spectrum Pro or PAS 16 SCSI and both used a 53c80 variant) which were SCSI-1 only capable 2Mb/s with max of 5Mb/s.
The 1510 is SCSI-2 FAST so may be trying to talk to the cdrom to fast.... just a suggestion. I have had to slow the adapter -> device speed on 2940's when working with old scsi drives...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-07-17, 23:30:

Try disabling "Fast SCSI' on the 1510, those old drives were mated with a NCR 53c80 or NCR 53c90 (The Fushion CD had either the Spectrum Pro or PAS 16 SCSI and both used a 53c80 variant) which were SCSI-1 only capable 2Mb/s with max of 5Mb/s.
The 1510 is SCSI-2 FAST so may be trying to talk to the cdrom to fast.... just a suggestion. I have had to slow the adapter -> device speed on 2940's when working with old scsi drives...

This is a promising direction, but I'm not sure how to set the speed.

It looks like the 1510 lacks the jumpers to do this (they are present on the 1520). http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/user_guides/aha1520a_ug.pdf

ASPI4DOS has a command line switch for speed, but I'm assuming mine is only compatible with ASPI2DOS and I haven't found a complete listing for those switches: https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Adap … ion%20Guide.pdf

I'll try the switch for the ASPI4DOS and see if it works on ASPI2DOS.. Maybe I need to find a SCSI-1 adapter.

Reply 13 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ASPI2DOS gives me "invalid string" for /XFF and /X00 which would be the slowest settings, even though this indicates the 1510 might take a /X switch http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/installation … /aha1510_ig.pdf
(It doesn't indicate what speed values you can give it)

Reply 14 of 36, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps you can set your controller to negotiate asynchronous transfer mode (it is an option in the speed rates menu) to the cdrom device (SCSI ID 6) in the controller's BIOS.
If that works, we can look at the termination of your bus.

Reply 15 of 36, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you show us a picture of your 1510A ? Some were just like a 1520A with many jumpers and BIOS.
But If it looks like this picture it is essentially a dumb card, like the 1505 designed for specific optical/tape drives/scanners and not a multi use scsi card.....many were included with Iomega drives or HP scanners iirc
No BIOS and most features disabled due to lack of support circuitry....

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Filename
    Image1.jpg
    File size
    307.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16 of 36, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's unknown to me if the software works but you could try http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/software/sjg … jgplay_dos.html to play an audio cd.
See if that works.

edit : have you tried it ?

Last edited by weedeewee on 2023-07-18, 20:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 18 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the help folks (: I'll give y'all some pics and then address questions as I get time today.

Horun wrote on 2023-07-18, 02:57:

Can you show us a picture of your 1510A ? Some were just like a 1520A with many jumpers and BIOS.
But If it looks like this picture it is essentially a dumb card, like the 1505 designed for specific optical/tape drives/scanners and not a multi use scsi card.....many were included with Iomega drives or HP scanners iirc
No BIOS and most features disabled due to lack of support circuitry....

Attachments

Reply 19 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2023-07-18, 01:08:

Perhaps you can set your controller to negotiate asynchronous transfer mode (it is an option in the speed rates menu) to the cdrom device (SCSI ID 6) in the controller's BIOS.
If that works, we can look at the termination of your bus.

I "think" we are already doing these things with the current BIOS ASPI2DOS flags if I understand correctly. You can see the disabled value in one of the screenshots above.
Sadly I don't think this controller has a BIOS chip so I am limited to whatever the ASPI software can do with it.

Last edited by alphaharris on 2023-07-18, 17:51. Edited 1 time in total.