VOGONS

First post, by riplin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get my CT3900 sound card to work on my Pentium 133Mhz system with some sane settings. Right now it only works if I set it up to use Port 220h, midi port 300h, IRQ 2, DMA 0 (yeah, weird) and DMA 6. It will refuse to work with any other settings.

In the BIOS I've tried setting PnP OS to Yes and No, reserving a bunch of resources for ISA and even disabling all COM and LPT ports. Nothing will persuade it to work on any other settings. I pulled out all other cards in the system, so now it only has a sound card, Promise IDE card and S3 Virge video card.

Another weird thing that happens is, if I force initialize the sound card with regular settings (irq 5, dma 1 and 5) then CuteMouse will freeze on init with a PS/2 mouse attached.

One thing I did do was replace the Dallas RTC with one of those replacement boards with a removable battery. I take it that's not going to have an effect on this? It replaces a Dallas DS12887A, which should be compatible.

Specs are:

ASUS P/I-P55TP4XE Bios version (downloaded from retro web): 12/30/97-82430FX-PI-5XTP4C-00
Intel Pentium 133Mhz
128MB memory
Promise Ultra133 tx2
S3 Virge/VX 8MB

Any hints / tips greatly appreciated.

There's a MR BIOS available for this board. Would switching over to that help?

Reply 1 of 7, by Chkcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try without the Promise IDE card and run your drive(s) from the on board IDE port?
Of course this will be slower because the 430FX southbridge doesn't know UDMA, but it will free up some resources.

Not an MR BIOS, but I have a patched P55TP4XE(G) Award BIOS available on my Unofficial K6plus page. With this BIOS you can use IDE drives up to 128 GiB. The link is in my signature below.

Jan

CPU Identification utility
The Unofficial K6-2+ / K6-III+ page

Reply 2 of 7, by riplin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven’t tried without the promise card, but it uses different irq’s (I’m using an ssd drive so need TRIM). What’s weird is that I could have sworn that this setup worked fine when I had it on the bench. I ordered a proper rtc replacement, perhaps that will fix it. Could be that this board doesn’t like the modern replacement and something is messing up in the configuration memory.

Reply 3 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The original Dallas should be a DS12B887 which is different from the DS12887, DS12887A and DS12C887. Each has it's own unique features and some are and some are not cross compatible.
I do not know of any replacement for a DS12B887 due to an additional 64bytes general purpose ram not included in those others (if the motherboard uses that part)....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 7, by riplin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-08-23, 02:09:

The original Dallas should be a DS12B887 which is different from the DS12887, DS12887A and DS12C887. Each has it's own unique features and some are and some are not cross compatible.
I do not know of any replacement for a DS12B887 due to an additional 64bytes general purpose ram not included in those others (if the motherboard uses that part)....

5CAIA7o.jpg

That's the chip I pulled off the board.

Reply 5 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can mod it yourself to add an external battery, there are some topics here about it (have done many myself) and then see if it works OK. The few pictures I saw had a DS12b887 and I can't get into my Asus P55TP4XEG build right now (same board just later variant) to see which RTC it has...
Which RTC is on the "new" one ? If they did not tell you that could be an issue....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 7, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
riplin wrote on 2023-08-17, 19:02:
Hi folks, […]
Show full quote

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get my CT3900 sound card to work on my Pentium 133Mhz system with some sane settings. Right now it only works if I set it up to use Port 220h, midi port 300h, IRQ 2, DMA 0 (yeah, weird) and DMA 6. It will refuse to work with any other settings.

In the BIOS I've tried setting PnP OS to Yes and No, reserving a bunch of resources for ISA and even disabling all COM and LPT ports. Nothing will persuade it to work on any other settings. I pulled out all other cards in the system, so now it only has a sound card, Promise IDE card and S3 Virge video card.

Another weird thing that happens is, if I force initialize the sound card with regular settings (irq 5, dma 1 and 5) then CuteMouse will freeze on init with a PS/2 mouse attached.

One thing I did do was replace the Dallas RTC with one of those replacement boards with a removable battery. I take it that's not going to have an effect on this? It replaces a Dallas DS12887A, which should be compatible.

Specs are:

ASUS P/I-P55TP4XE Bios version (downloaded from retro web): 12/30/97-82430FX-PI-5XTP4C-00
Intel Pentium 133Mhz
128MB memory
Promise Ultra133 tx2
S3 Virge/VX 8MB

Any hints / tips greatly appreciated.

There's a MR BIOS available for this board. Would switching over to that help?

Which operation system are you running?
Win 9x is not bad in identifying the hardware.

Off-topic, but ....
I would recommend to remove half of the memory to have 64MB. It will make the system faster.