VOGONS

First post, by Uzix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wanna publish my small hobby project - Kharon-386. This is tiny IBM PC compatible machine with 386 CPU, integrated VGA and sound.

thumb.1.webp thumb.2.webp
thumb.3.webp thumb.4.webp

Tech specs:
- M6117D System-On-Chip with integrated 386SX40 (almost compatible) CPU and M1217B chipset
- 4MB RAM
- TVGA9000i VGA video
- ES1868F SoundBlasterPro-compatible sound
- SAM2695 MIDI synthesizer
- ESP8266 WiFi module
- PS/2 keyboard and mouse inputs
- 2xCOM ports
- CF card slot
- Real-time clock (RTC) with backup battery
- Integrated PC-speaker
- 5.1V microUSB power
- Two 4-layer 10x10cm PCBs + front/back panel PCB
- G738 or G706 enclosure

Project is open source and non-commercical, sources are distributed under CC-BY-SA-4.0 license.
All source files, fabrication files and other info at link:

https://github.com/UzixLS/pc-kharon-386

Reply 1 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a proper cutie! I'd love something like that, but my soldering skills are not good enough 🙁

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 9, by zami555

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, looks really nice. Congratulations!
Any chance you can share some results of some benchmarks?
Have you found any issues with some software or games (you've mentioned CPU implementation is "almost compatible")?

Reply 3 of 9, by Uzix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zami555 wrote on 2023-09-19, 17:38:

Any chance you can share some results of some benchmarks?

Which ones are you interested in?

zami555 wrote on 2023-09-19, 17:38:

Have you found any issues with some software or games (you've mentioned CPU implementation is "almost compatible")?

Yes, there is known problem with doslfn - it uses undocumented x86 opcode "setalc", which isn't supported by M6117D. I've sent patch to doslfn maintainer a few months ago.
Also I couldn't get SFX in Tyrian. I've tested it on ICOP-6025 and got same result, so I suppose this problem isn't Kharon-specific.

Reply 4 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Uzix wrote on 2023-09-19, 17:50:

[...]
Also I couldn't get SFX in Tyrian. I've tested it on ICOP-6025 and got same result, so I suppose this problem isn't Kharon-specific.

Don't think too much about the Tyrian issue - it's sound engine is problematic in general and for example also has issues with CS4237 on "normal systems"...
Kudos on the project ! it looks very nice!!!!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 9, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is supremely cool! I absolutely love it. The ESS is a great addition, too. Can't believe all the hard work you must have put into this, very impressive. I wish I could work that hard on something this cool!

Some random suggestions for future improvements: support for different processors (486, pentium), an ISA or PCI slot, upgradable ram, midi out, a usb slot, SATA for CD/HDD/etc.

Reply 6 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fancy, very nice ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 9, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would love to replace several of my full sized pcs with one of those, but surface mount soldering of that fine pitch is just out of my league.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 9 of 9, by mogwaay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, amazing work! 👏 I've often pondered over making a 386/486 machine after I made an 8088 based one during lockdown, but it's quite the step up and I never got round to it. This would be super cool to build, maybe a future project if I get the time...