How about a new remake of old cases?

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 81, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-26, 16:58:

Ha! Another challenge, but for sure it can be worked around. Perhaps a little internal board to place somewhere in the case, which can accomodate both the momentary switch coming from ATX mobos and the toggle switch coming from an AT PSU. Then, this little board can be connected to the grey rocker switch (vintage original style) located on the front of the case. The little board then would have an internal switch, that can select between the 2.

If one installs an AT mobo, he selects the one coming from the AT PSU. If one installs an ATX mobo and ATX PSU, then they can move it to the other source. In this way, the gray frontal rocker switch can be set up to either work as a momentary switch (if used with an ATX PSU + ATX mobo) or as a mains power switch (if used with AT PSU + AT mobo).

In case of a hybrid configuration, which would be an AT mobo + ATX PSU + ATX to AT mobo power cable adapter, then I guess the little board would have to be switched acting for an ATX system, am I correct?

TBH, I think this is an over-engineering a solution that wouldn't work as intended in the first place. The thing is you need a momentary switch to function as a momentary switch in an ATX setup. For example, being able to hold it down for forced power off.

The easiest solution is just make the section with the power button modular. If a person wants to use an AT power supply or AT-to-ATX adapter, they can connect a toggle switch (button or rocker) that works with an AT setup. If they want to use an ATX setup, they can just connect a momentary switch that works with an ATX motherboard.

Some of the older AT cases had modular designs that way. You'll often see the same cases with different types of power buttons, either a grey rocker switch, or a white or black toggle button.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 81 of 81, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-09-26, 17:23:
TBH, I think this is an over-engineering a solution that wouldn't work as intended in the first place. The thing is you need a m […]
Show full quote
aries-mu wrote on 2023-09-26, 16:58:

Ha! Another challenge, but for sure it can be worked around. Perhaps a little internal board to place somewhere in the case, which can accomodate both the momentary switch coming from ATX mobos and the toggle switch coming from an AT PSU. Then, this little board can be connected to the grey rocker switch (vintage original style) located on the front of the case. The little board then would have an internal switch, that can select between the 2.

If one installs an AT mobo, he selects the one coming from the AT PSU. If one installs an ATX mobo and ATX PSU, then they can move it to the other source. In this way, the gray frontal rocker switch can be set up to either work as a momentary switch (if used with an ATX PSU + ATX mobo) or as a mains power switch (if used with AT PSU + AT mobo).

In case of a hybrid configuration, which would be an AT mobo + ATX PSU + ATX to AT mobo power cable adapter, then I guess the little board would have to be switched acting for an ATX system, am I correct?

TBH, I think this is an over-engineering a solution that wouldn't work as intended in the first place. The thing is you need a momentary switch to function as a momentary switch in an ATX setup. For example, being able to hold it down for forced power off.

The easiest solution is just make the section with the power button modular. If a person wants to use an AT power supply or AT-to-ATX adapter, they can connect a toggle switch (button or rocker) that works with an AT setup. If they want to use an ATX setup, they can just connect a momentary switch that works with an ATX motherboard.

Some of the older AT cases had modular designs that way. You'll often see the same cases with different types of power buttons, either a grey rocker switch, or a white or black toggle button.

ooh that's right! Much simpler! Thanks!

Well, I'll keep this for when I'll win the lottery and found the vintage PC factory! Thanks!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you