VOGONS

First post, by WarhammerDarkOmen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was there ever a IBM ThinkPad with Nvidia dedicated graphics? I have a T41 here but it uses ATI 7500 and it's useless and buggy with older games. Drivers seem to be utter rubbish. I've had good success in the past with the Geforce FX Go 5200 but that was on a toshiba and i want IBM / Lenovo.

Does such a model exist? I'm not too fussed what geforce it has as its going to be for older games.

Nostalgia rig: AMD Athlon 800Mhz | Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 | Geforce 2 MX400 AGP | Sound Blaster AWE64 | 256MB RAM | Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IT IS unfortunate with thinkpads, none have Nivida in DOS, 95, 98SE era. They had WD, Neomagic, Trident and S3.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 7, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The G41 had nVidia as an option. If it's good with Win98se, I don't know. Mine had it's harddrive die on me, before getting do driver install etc. 🤣 (mine is not the nVidia version, but Intel Extreme Graphics, though)

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:G41

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-11-24, 09:11:

The G41 had nVidia as an option. If it's good with Win98se, I don't know. Mine had it's harddrive die on me, before getting do driver install etc. 🤣 (mine is not the nVidia version, but Intel Extreme Graphics, though)

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:G41

G41 seems to have official support for W98 https://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Driver … t/ddfm/G41.html
Yet, the display drivers for W98 are not within IBM drivers. Maybe one could use original Nvidia drivers if there are any.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 6 of 7, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WarhammerDarkOmen wrote on 2023-11-23, 20:12:

I have a T41 here but it uses ATI 7500 and it's useless and buggy with older games. Drivers seem to be utter rubbish.

It's not so much a driver problem (the ATI Catalyst 6.2 works fine in Windows 98), but the early Radeon chips in ThinkPads are very crippled.
The 7500 in that system doesn't support TnL and is very slow. I believe it is severely underclocked.

The first GPU that's really useable is the 7800 in an A31p (but these models have a myriad of other problems).

I also have a Thinkpad R52 with a Radeon Mobility X300 that works very well when selecting Radeon 9600 drivers manually, as described here.
I've hunted down all of the 98SE drivers for the R52 and put them up here, if somebody ever needs those.

It's a great machine - if you put in a T43p display you can have an overkill 9x machine with a 1600x1200 IPS panel.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 7 of 7, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2023-11-24, 09:47:
It's not so much a driver problem (the ATI Catalyst 6.2 works fine in Windows 98), but the early Radeon chips in ThinkPads are v […]
Show full quote
WarhammerDarkOmen wrote on 2023-11-23, 20:12:

I have a T41 here but it uses ATI 7500 and it's useless and buggy with older games. Drivers seem to be utter rubbish.

It's not so much a driver problem (the ATI Catalyst 6.2 works fine in Windows 98), but the early Radeon chips in ThinkPads are very crippled.
The 7500 in that system doesn't support TnL and is very slow. I believe it is severely underclocked.

The first GPU that's really useable is the 7800 in an A31p (but these models have a myriad of other problems).

I also have a Thinkpad R52 with a Radeon Mobility X300 that works very well when selecting Radeon 9600 drivers manually, as described here.
I've hunted down all of the 98SE drivers for the R52 and put them up here, if somebody ever needs those.

It's a great machine - if you put in a T43p display you can have an overkill 9x machine with a 1600x1200 IPS panel.

As for A31p, mine (and A21p too) has a little texture artifacting issue in Half Life, where blood and writings on the walls are flickering if you look at them at a certain angle. Is it the same on you machine? Mode is OpenGL, and I use stock IBM drivers.
Do you think there is a way to get rid if it?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers