VOGONS

First post, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 with Windows 98SE.
Nothing special installed, just a GF 6200 and an Adaptec 29160LP card installed.

When I boot up there is no problem, but as soon as I try and boot with an Iomega Zip 750 disk drive plugged into one of the rear USB ports the system hangs on boot.
It just sits on the Win98 logo screen and does nothing but display its animation.

I wonder if anybody has seen this kind of problem before and know if there is a work around for it.

Reply 1 of 13, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you checked the cartridge to be free of defects?

Edit:

Z750 can read 100, r/w 250. You could try a different one. Unless it just hangs with this one motherboard; you could make a quick test with a non-750 unit.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 2 of 13, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, there are no problems with the disk inserted, the boot problem is there with and without a disk in the drive.

I am using nusb33 drivers for removable flash disk media.

Last edited by ElectroSoldier on 2023-12-06, 14:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 13, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-12-06, 14:51:

Yes, there are no problems with the disk inserted, the boot problem is there with and without a disk in the drive.

Maybe it's incompatible with a 750 drive. I don't have one so I can't tell from experience.
100 and 250 never gave me issues, only once with a failing disk.

Reply 6 of 13, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you try the drive in another system does it hang up that system while it boots? If you plug in the drive after windows loads does it function properly or hang the system as well?

Reply 7 of 13, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I plug it into a Windows 10 machine, and Windows XP it works no problem, they just boot.
When I change the USB port of the GX270 same problem, Win98 wont boot, it just sits there on the start up screen. But not frozen, its still amimated, there is just no HDD activity at all.

And If I unplug it at the point its locked nothing happens, I have to press the power button to shut it down and then it does a hard disk scan or asks if I want to boot in safe mode.

Last edited by ElectroSoldier on 2023-12-07, 17:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 13, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-12-07, 17:07:

When I plug it into a Windows 10 machine, and Windows XP it works no problem, they just boot.
When I change the USB port of the GX270 same problem, Win98 wont boot, it just sits there on the start up screen. But not frozen, its still amimated, there is just no HDD activity at all.

Does W98 boot with a regular cd?

Reply 10 of 13, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-12-07, 17:12:

If I insert a bootable CD then it boots from it.

Windows 98 as it is installed will boot normally when the Zip drive isnt inserted, or if I unplug the power cord

Try with another video card, not nvidia.

Reply 11 of 13, by progman.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-12-07, 17:07:

Is the 9x logged boot any use in this case? F8 at boot (or whichever key it was to get the menu just after POST, maybe F5), and there is a logged boot choice, I think. Log a failed/hung boot, then have a look at the end of the file, and perhaps the Gods of Redmond will grace you with a hint.