best windows 7 "retro" laptop

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 44, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
God Of Gaming wrote on 2023-12-26, 19:12:

I don't really agree with that definition, but by that definition, if I didn't own a 3090ti win7 PC when it was current (an year ago) and buy it now that it is no longer current, a win7 retro PC it is 😉 Correct?

No, I would have thought the 3090Ti is still current.

Reply 41 of 44, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-12-27, 01:43:

I don't really agree with that definition, but by that definition, if I didn't own a 3090ti win7 PC when it was current (an year ago) and buy it now that it is no longer current, a win7 retro PC it is 😉 Correct?

well, now the 4090 is current, and the 5090 approaching, so the 3090ti isnt the current gen anymore.... or how do you define it as current, since its not very old and is still usable? I mean how do you draw the line then, you can technically run windows 10 on a pentium 2, and really get a decent light work experience out of a 2006 core 2 duo

I understand that the past gen is too recent to be thought of as retro just yet, but some day it will be, so isnt it better to get it now while still available, instead of wait for the voodoo5 situation to happen where rare used copies are several times more expensive than they were new? Unless theres any game/software compatibility issues with an Ampere that can be avoided with something older like Pascal or even Kepler, an Ampere gotta be the best gpu for a win7 build allowing for the best performance/efficiency ratio, correct? But yeah I have a worry here, theres 2 different driver packages on nvidia's site, theres a win7/8/8.1 package for kepler+maxwell+pascal, and theres a separate win7-only package for turing and ampere... So I guess its not exactly the same drivers, which might mean there might be some issues with ampere on win7, that wont be found till thorougly tested with every single game. And don't get me wrong, I wouldn't ever buy a 3090ti, too much of a power hog for my tastes, but a 3060 12gb or quadro rtx a4000 16gb seems like it could be ideal for a win7 build, better than a more obvious gtx 1080, more performance and lower power draw, and the last gen to support win7

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 42 of 44, by MikeSG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another way of looking at it...

If your hardware can't run what you want as well anymore, its "classic". Eg. Last 10 years.

If your hardware can't run even a modern up to date web browser, it's "retro". Eg. 15+ years ago.

Reply 43 of 44, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
God Of Gaming wrote on 2023-12-27, 07:41:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-12-27, 01:43:

well, now the 4090 is current, and the 5090 approaching, so the 3090ti isnt the current gen anymore.... or how do you define it as current, since its not very old and is still usable? I mean how do you draw the line then, you can technically run windows 10 on a pentium 2, and really get a decent light work experience out of a 2006 core 2 duo

I understand that the past gen is too recent to be thought of as retro just yet, but some day it will be, so isnt it better to get it now while still available, instead of wait for the voodoo5 situation to happen where rare used copies are several times more expensive than they were new? Unless theres any game/software compatibility issues with an Ampere that can be avoided with something older like Pascal or even Kepler, an Ampere gotta be the best gpu for a win7 build allowing for the best performance/efficiency ratio, correct? But yeah I have a worry here, theres 2 different driver packages on nvidia's site, theres a win7/8/8.1 package for kepler+maxwell+pascal, and theres a separate win7-only package for turing and ampere... So I guess its not exactly the same drivers, which might mean there might be some issues with ampere on win7, that wont be found till thorougly tested with every single game. And don't get me wrong, I wouldn't ever buy a 3090ti, too much of a power hog for my tastes, but a 3060 12gb or quadro rtx a4000 16gb seems like it could be ideal for a win7 build, better than a more obvious gtx 1080, more performance and lower power draw, and the last gen to support win7

That doesnt mean the 3090Ti isnt still capable of playing games though does it.
The games are still there and still more than playable on a 3090Ti, and you dont even have to tone down the settings for most of them.

Reply 44 of 44, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So then win7 is a retro OS since it can no longer run the latest software, and a 3090ti PC running win7 instead of win11 is a retro PC by extension. So gonna keep calling it a win7 retro PC, you call it whatever you wish, its just semantics anyways. Lets get back on topic of trying to figure out if theres any laptops better for the task than the ones discussed so far

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project