VOGONS

Voodoo Rush help

Topic actions

First post, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone so i ve voodoo rush card trying use it with slot 1 motherboard pentium 2.

Using windows 98 but screen keeps flickering after windows 98 opening. Using true drivers but still flickers

Attachments

Reply 3 of 23, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps try adjusting the refresh rate of your monitor under Windows display settings? Alternatively, just run the Auto adjust feature on your monitor (appears that you're running it on an LCD/LED monitor).

Reply 6 of 23, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rush cards werent exactly a good product. Both Macronix and Alliance Semi chips came straight from garbage dump, failed chips with no market presence on their own. Macronix was actually making VGA chips from around 1992 https://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/news/ite … national-co-ltd yet you never see any in the wild, I think Rush killed their ambitions 😀 Alliance chip was straight up broken, and Imo selling it constituted fraud.

Its possible mx86251 "160MHz Ramdac" is just that bad quality.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 9 of 23, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, the 2D chip on the Rush can either be from Alliance or from Macronix. I know for sure that the drivers for the Alliance version are overclocked on the 2D chip by default and that can cause some graphics corruption in Windows.

My card has the Alliance chip, so I can't be too much help since it looks like you've got the Macronix. But you might want to double-check that you're using the Macronix version of the drivers. And then maybe also look into whether there might also be overclocking issues on the Macronix chip, but that would just be a shot in the dark.

Reply 10 of 23, by n0p

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's certainly not Alliance Semiconductor chip
My dead Rush had many problems, one of - latest drivers caused memory problems
.inf file for it had the following lines which i removed to make them work:

[Driver.AddClock]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,"SOFTWARE\Alliance Semiconductor\Driver\HW Acceleration Settings",MCLKFrequency,,72
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,"SOFTWARE\Alliance Semiconductor\Driver\HW Acceleration Settings",VG96_MCLKFrequency,,50
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,"SOFTWARE\Alliance Semiconductor\Driver\HW Acceleration Settings",DualCycleThreshold,,90

Maybe you can dig through your driver inf file and find something suspicious?

Reply 12 of 23, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
n0p wrote on 2023-12-29, 08:02:
It's certainly not Alliance Semiconductor chip My dead Rush had many problems, one of - latest drivers caused memory problems . […]
Show full quote

[Driver.AddClock]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,"SOFTWARE\Alliance Semiconductor\Driver\HW Acceleration Settings",MCLKFrequency,,72
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,"SOFTWARE\Alliance Semiconductor\Driver\HW Acceleration Settings",VG96_MCLKFrequency,,50
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,"SOFTWARE\Alliance Semiconductor\Driver\HW Acceleration Settings",DualCycleThreshold,,90

Thanks but cant found " inf " file at windows windows/system

Reply 13 of 23, by n0p

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rain wrote on 2023-12-29, 08:09:
n0p wrote on 2023-12-29, 08:02:
It's certainly not Alliance Semiconductor chip My dead Rush had many problems, one of - latest drivers caused memory problems . […]
Show full quote

[Driver.AddClock]

Thanks but cant found " inf " file at windows windows/system

Can you share Voodoo Rush driver package you're using?

Reply 18 of 23, by n0p

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rain wrote on 2023-12-29, 09:31:

Attached here

I did find any possible references to clock settings, but it does contain a very extensive registry list for video modes.
It looks like two custom property pages are added to display settings for Macronix, probably saved to registry/ini , is there anything interesting?
Have you tried setting custom refresh rate for display?
Driver also has strings for

M251INF.ini
m251dci.ini
m251mode.ini

VSyncMode
ManualFrameRate

Reply 19 of 23, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
n0p wrote on 2023-12-29, 10:16:
I did find any possible references to clock settings, but it does contain a very extensive registry list for video modes. It loo […]
Show full quote
rain wrote on 2023-12-29, 09:31:

Attached here

I did find any possible references to clock settings, but it does contain a very extensive registry list for video modes.
It looks like two custom property pages are added to display settings for Macronix, probably saved to registry/ini , is there anything interesting?
Have you tried setting custom refresh rate for display?
Driver also has strings for

M251INF.ini
m251dci.ini
m251mode.ini

VSyncMode
ManualFrameRate

Yes tried all refresh rates still same. Where can i find these files on windows maybe tweaking them fix this?