VOGONS

Pentium Pro Socket 8 CPU Cooler

Topic actions

First post, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, does anyone have any good photos of an AM2 CPU cooler mounted on a Pentium Pro? I am trying to pick out a cooler for my build and it would be nice to figure out what fits before I order it. There is a capacitor right next to the socket on my board. As long as it clears that, you just have to modify the mounting bracket right?

OR... does anyone know of a good source to find a Socket 8 Cooler or Heat sink?

Thanks!

Attachments

• s-l1600s.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600s.jpg
    File size
    139.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 28, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Pentium Pro cooling solution was to use a regular Pentium Pro heatsink and attached a Noctua fan to it.

I did this by gluing screws in place on the fan and then attaching it to the heatsink with rubber grommets.

Fan Mount 1.jpg
Filename
Fan Mount 1.jpg
File size
225.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Fan Mount 2.jpg
Filename
Fan Mount 2.jpg
File size
132.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fan Mount 3.jpg
Filename
Fan Mount 3.jpg
File size
136.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fan Mount 4.jpg
Filename
Fan Mount 4.jpg
File size
233.38 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 28, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-31, 21:48:

My Pentium Pro cooling solution was to use a regular Pentium Pro heatsink and attached a Noctua fan to it.

I did this by gluing screws in place on the fan and then attaching it to the heatsink with rubber grommets.

Hey! That's really cool the way you mounted the fan. Where did you find your heat sink though?

Reply 3 of 28, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boggsman wrote on 2024-01-31, 21:53:

Hey! That's really cool the way you mounted the fan. Where did you find your heat sink though?

I think it was included with one of the Pentium Pro's I bought.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Umm.. Are AM2 coolers compatible with Socket 8? I would think not.. Let me check..

EDIT: I can't seem to find Socket 8 dimensions anywhere online, the specification document by Intel seems to have disappeared..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe there is a way to make a pcb shim that would help mount something else?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 8 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nhattu1986 wrote on 2024-02-01, 09:27:

Hi, it not actually AM2 cooler but CNPS 90 cooler that fit the socket 8

I think it from this thread.
Unboxing a new Pentium Pro processor

Well.. Wait, I actually have quite a few Chinese knockoffs of that thing lying about that I used on AM2/3 builds.. I need to try this out!

Reply 9 of 28, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know how he made that work? That's what I need!

Reply 10 of 28, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-02-01, 09:39:

Well.. Wait, I actually have quite a few Chinese knockoffs of that thing lying about that I used on AM2/3 builds.. I need to try this out!

Can you try it for me and let me know? I am keen on doing the same thing. Thanks!

Reply 11 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2024-02-01, 07:16:

Umm.. Are AM2 coolers compatible with Socket 8? I would think not.. Let me check..

EDIT: I can't seem to find Socket 8 dimensions anywhere online, the specification document by Intel seems to have disappeared..

Some specs are in the P Pro Intel datasheet. They list chip size at 2.46"x2.66" but the thermal parms list HS 2.235" square on page 62...
most all the P.Pro HS I have are 2.5"x2.75" but the AOC one, it is 2-3/4" x 3-1/4" with a cutout on one side.
added: the "Pentium® Pro Processor Thermal Design Guidelines" also gives some but the cpu datasheet has more info imho....

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It turns out I don't have any of the flow type coolers lying about anymore, but one aluminum block type cooler I happen to have actually LOOKS like it just might fit surprisingly well, though I have yet to try it with a CPU in the socket due to lack of time. If anyone else is adventurous and wants to give it a try for science, let us know here in the meantime!

EDIT: I ordered two of these flower type AM2/LGA775 coolers as they seem to cost peanuts online, I will keep you guys posted. If they don't fit, I'm sure I can use them in other projects eventually.

1_org_zoom.jpg

Reply 14 of 28, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-02-02, 05:33:

It turns out I don't have any of the flow type coolers lying about anymore, but one aluminum block type cooler I happen to have actually LOOKS like it just might fit surprisingly well, though I have yet to try it with a CPU in the socket due to lack of time. If anyone else is adventurous and wants to give it a try for science, let us know here in the meantime!

EDIT: I ordered two of these flower type AM2/LGA775 coolers as they seem to cost peanuts online, I will keep you guys posted. If they don't fit, I'm sure I can use them in other projects eventually.

Thanks for trying Please let me know! It would be awesome if this would work

Reply 15 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boggsman wrote on 2024-02-02, 15:27:

The only issue that I see is that it looks like the middle is centered between the two clips. On the ppro it is offset to one side. But maybe the surface is large enough to cover the whole CPU.

I wonder if it is centered over the core or the cache then? Hopefully the core

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 16 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To me does not look anywhere big enough core area to cover even 1/2 core and 1/2 cache, you want at least 2" diameter core (if round) to cover both. The lid is 2.25" long.....
refer to the pictures from Intel

Attachments

• heatsink.jpg
    Filename
    heatsink.jpg
    File size
    51.03 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Ppro dimentials.jpg
    Filename
    Ppro dimentials.jpg
    File size
    23.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 17 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is with a 2" diameter core, assuming the Intel dimensional is accurate (the gold lid "heat spreader" is 2.25" long)....

Attachments

Reply 18 of 28, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably close enough. I know those cpus made a little more heat than socket 7 cpus did. But not a whole lot more. I gotta think that as long as the mechanics of it all are stable that it should work thermally. The cache probably doesn’t make a whole lot of heat if much of any at all.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 19 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it was a copper core and not aluminum would be more inclined to think it may be ok. Oh and the 1Mb cache versions make lots more heat than Intel Pentiums. 44watt TDP versus 16watt for Pentium 200 MMX. just a comparison....