VOGONS

First post, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I recently bought this old Gigabyte GA EX58 UD3R motherboard and I wanted to install a new cooler. However, I couldn't install it, as the slots where the cooler is supposed to go are filled with this backplate. Does anyone know how to remove this safely? I'm starting to doubt if it is actually intended to be removed.

backplate1.jpg

backplate2.jpg

Reply 1 of 13, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a Supermicro board I needed to do this on recently. I used plastic picks and the spudger from an iFixit toolkit and worked my way around to ease it off. It's likely held on with some double sided tape. You could try a bit of heat too to help soften the glue.

Doesn't look quite so straight forward on this one.

Last edited by Shadzilla on 2024-03-11, 16:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 13, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-11, 11:31:

four inner spikes sure make it look integrated with socket bracket

I would very much think so too

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 4 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-03-11, 11:34:
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-11, 11:31:

four inner spikes sure make it look integrated with socket bracket

I would very much think so too

I completely concur.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 13, by SKramer83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't those inner torx srews/bolts/nuts be unscrewed? Then remove the entire backplate and grind off the outer parts. And then reinstall the backplate.
Am i missing something here? It looks like they (the torx thingy's) can be removed.

Reply 6 of 13, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SKramer83 wrote on 2024-03-11, 12:43:

Can't those inner torx srews/bolts/nuts be unscrewed? Then remove the entire backplate and grind off the outer parts. And then reinstall the backplate.
Am i missing something here? It looks like they (the torx thingy's) can be removed.

Yeah, maybe the Torx screws can be unscrewed and then remove the backplate, but I could fear if centering of the socket relative to the pins could be off then?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 7 of 13, by SKramer83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-03-11, 13:29:
SKramer83 wrote on 2024-03-11, 12:43:

Yeah, maybe the Torx screws can be unscrewed and then remove the backplate, but I could fear if centering of the socket relative to the pins could be off then?

The socket, ILM (on top of the CPU) and backplate are (usually) 3 seperate things. My assumption is, the ILM can be removed and placed back without anything misaligning. The socket (with its pins) is soldered to the motherboard.
I think this is absolutely doable.

Maybe this pic will make it more clear?

Attachments

• LGA.PNG
    Filename
    LGA.PNG
    File size
    346.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 13, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually the metal backplate has that god awful 2 sided sticky backing on it to help keep it stuck to the board and to provide some electrical isolation, Ive removed a few of these and they are a pain in the ass to take off.

The solution if it has the sticky isolation backing is to use ISO alcohol on it to weaken the sticky backing.