VOGONS

First post, by devicemodder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Lucky Star LS-P54CE Revision F1 that refuses to post. I turn it on, and it beeps at 1 second intervals, continuously, until I power the machine off.
https://files.catbox.moe/9y88yc.mp4

Bios is Award.
Things i've Tried:
Re-seating RAM, CPU, Video card, external cache card ect.
Also plugged in a port 80 Post Card and the machine hangs on post Code C6 which the manual for the card shows as (C6 Cache presence test; External cache-size detection test)

Post card code sequence:
C0
C1
C6 ---> This is where it hangs and beeps once a second until i turn off the power.

Was working on saturday, went to turn it on on sunday, and windows 98 hung on the boot screen. Then after i rebooted, the beeping started.
All electrolytic caps look alright and don't show signs of leakage.
How would i go about getting my machine going again?

System Specs:
CPU: pentium 1 @ 120MHz
Ram: 16MB
HDD: 4GB CF card
Video Card: Matrox Millenium 2MB
Sound Card: Crystal CX4235
PSU: 250W generic from when the computer was built.

Last edited by devicemodder on 2024-03-15, 00:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RAM is not in one stick of 16MB is it? Need 2 sticks of 72pin in a Pentium board, each is 32 bits wide and you need a 64bit data path for a Pentium.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 15, by devicemodder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-15, 00:06:

RAM is not in one stick of 16MB is it? Need 2 sticks of 72pin in a Pentium board, each is 32 bits wide and you need a 64bit data path for a Pentium.

nope, two sticks of 8MB.

Reply 4 of 15, by devicemodder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-15, 07:44:

pull out TAG ram, U18 - slim chip between CPU socket and upper edge of board, remove JP8 JP9 and switch JP10 to 2-3

Just tried that to see if any difference... Nope, still throws C6

Reply 5 of 15, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that was with COAST module removed, right?
thats not good, those jumpers should disable onboard cache, leaves maybe cache controller as a suspect?
As a last resort you can try looking at 82438VX/82437VX pins with magnifying glass and toothpick testing if any are loose.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 15, by devicemodder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-15, 20:53:

that was with COAST module removed, right?
thats not good, those jumpers should disable onboard cache, leaves maybe cache controller as a suspect?
As a last resort you can try looking at 82438VX/82437VX pins with magnifying glass and toothpick testing if any are loose.

Yes, the COAST was removed. hell, i even tried switching to an ATX supply thru an adapter to rule out power issues.

yep, gonna check the pins on the chipset next.

Reply 7 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would want to check voltages at CPU and cache to make sure there's no onboard power issues.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 15, by devicemodder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-16, 00:14:

I would want to check voltages at CPU and cache to make sure there's no onboard power issues.

CPU/Cache voltages check out OK. honestly, quite stumped here.

Reply 9 of 15, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try touching all chips with the system on, if any is hot. Maybe something shorted, it is old hardware after all.

Do you have it inside a case or is it loose? Check for any bent pins on the underside, maybe some are touching others.

Reply 10 of 15, by devicemodder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Paar wrote on 2024-03-16, 19:50:

Try touching all chips with the system on, if any is hot. Maybe something shorted, it is old hardware after all.

Do you have it inside a case or is it loose? Check for any bent pins on the underside, maybe some are touching others.

was inside the case. no bent pins noticed, and the only chip getting warm is the CPU.

Reply 11 of 15, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voltage of the power mosfets? If you have a P-120 Vcore and Vi/o should be 3.3V

https://www.arl.wustl.edu/projects/archive/gi … X_Datasheet.pdf

http://www.dickhardtstrasse.org/Hardwarehandb … ml?cpu_486.html

This should help with pin identification.

Post pics of the board, hq if possible, for visual inspection. Here some have eagle eyes 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 12 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pull the cards out. Change multiplier setting to 1.5x, move ram sticks to other slots or try different sticks, unplug drive cables, re seat cpu, check power supply voltages, check cpu voltage, and clear cmos.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 13 of 15, by devicemodder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2024-04-03, 02:44:
Voltage of the power mosfets? If you have a P-120 Vcore and Vi/o should be 3.3V […]
Show full quote

Voltage of the power mosfets? If you have a P-120 Vcore and Vi/o should be 3.3V

https://www.arl.wustl.edu/projects/archive/gi … X_Datasheet.pdf

http://www.dickhardtstrasse.org/Hardwarehandb … ml?cpu_486.html

This should help with pin identification.

Post pics of the board, hq if possible, for visual inspection. Here some have eagle eyes 😀

w4wcxz.jpg
o8hw8s.jpg
there's only one mosfet on the board, i'll check the voltages tonight. apologies for late reply, i put the computer aside for a while. but back to troubleshooting now.

Reply 14 of 15, by devicemodder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2024-04-03, 03:02:

Pull the cards out. Change multiplier setting to 1.5x, move ram sticks to other slots or try different sticks, unplug drive cables, re seat cpu, check power supply voltages, check cpu voltage, and clear cmos.

still beeps and won't post