VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As developers were struggling to transition from pure DOS to Win95 type games, some real stinkers were released. What was the worst game (or two) from this era you can remember giving a try?

As for me, I remember Westworld 2000 being a real dog. Also, a somewhat ambitious SegaSoft game called Vigilance was a total mess when released.

Last edited by digitaldoofus on 2010-09-01, 12:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 1 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

swamp buggy racing :
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/164/164234p1.html

Harley-Davidson: Race Across America

Last edited by Davros on 2010-09-01, 12:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 10, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

swamp buggy racing and Harley-Davidson: Race Across America

At one time I had thought about buying the Harley game...but fortunately I read a review before buying, and was able to spare myself from it. 😁

Reply 3 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing :
"For one, the AI's vehicles completely lack AI and cannot move off the starting line. In addition, there are no signs of the police that the box art shows the player running from

Big Rigs was planned to include a whopping total of five tracks, of which only four worked. The fifth track crashes the game. All the playable tracks completely lacks any sort of collision detection, allowing the player to drive through trees, trucks, buildings, and up and down terrain without any loss of speed. Bridges that appear in the game are also not solid, letting the player fall through them into the water, which also fails to slow truck."

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Big Rigs was XP-era, not 95-era

Microforum's 1995 titles are a trainwreck to behold. Expect No Mercy... mmmm third-rate cheesy MK2 ripoffs. 😀

Cyberdome is a very bad game too, but its problems are excused by "OMG!!! ITS THE FIRST 3D ACCELLERATED FREEWARE GAME!!! WE ARE GODS YOU ARE SUCK YOU GOT IT FOR FREE YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE FOR NOT LIKING IT.". 1/5 stars from CGW.

Parroty Interactive's titles often magnetted the gaming press snark at the time, but I wouldn't consider them the worst ever. PYST is particularily hated. It's common to find persons pissed at PYST.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 10, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Microforum's 1995 titles are a trainwreck to behold. Expect No Mercy... mmmm third-rate cheesy MK2 ripoffs. 😀

Wow. I just looked up the Mobygames screenshots and just... wow.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 7 of 10, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Slightly later is the infamous Streets of Simcity. Nuff said

When I first heard of Streets of SimCity, I thought "That sounds like a cool concept". I never bought the game though.

So was literally everything about it crap, or just a couple major flaws? Did it eventually get patched up to any level of adequacy?

Some Win95 games ran VERY slowly when first released (and were perceived as CRAP) but then later on when "average" PC processor speeds increased, they became quite playable...sometimes even EXCELLENT! (Rocket Jockey, for example)

Reply 8 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digitaldoofus wrote:

So was literally everything about it crap

the only good thing about it is the radio stations.

The touted "realistic" car physics seem non-existent, the collision detection will send your car in so many directions and possibly up in the air, it's more broken than Stunts.

Also each new version of Windows makes the game even more buggier. Play it in Win95 or die 😀 really it's bad, and there's no magic patch that unbads it all. To note, it was a very rushed product - it had it's 'unveil' in e3 '97 then suddenly came out in the early fall of that same year. It's a quick retool of SimCopter which was released in the November before, so if you consider the production schedules for this one, "rushed" is right.

Strangely, the marketing for it happened in early 1998, along with a demo release at the time - perhaps someone really screwed up out of order at EA. Maybe if they didn't push it out early it would have been truly finished for March 1998 which seems more realistic for that product - but that's not how it came to be unfortunately. 🙁

It's not a 'couple of flaws'- it's the entire execution of the game. The performance of the game is quite fast but when your turning is super sensitive and your truck's driver's view level is like 'prone to the ground' you know it's not finished.

It'd probably be better if someone did a from-scratch "source port" implementation of this game that has everything done right the first time around. Something I76ey on your old .sc2s online is still potentially a fun idea even in today's times when you're locked to stock content in every game ever.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 10, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually kinda like sim streets i played it alot. i remember making a lot of custom tracks for it. I got in a pack with sim tower, sim island and sim safari.
the games aren't horrible just kinda small time killers in way. i liked them for what they were. I still need to install them on my 98se laptop.

Reply 10 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SOCC was indeed total crap... a skateboard feels more like driving a car than the game did.

SimCopter on the other was a real gem IMHO 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net