VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 73, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Huh? Is it possible do that? I thought S/H address should match Credit Card billing address. Whose address are you using in the UK, by the way?

Nonetheless, a very interesting tip, thanks. 😁

No real address. I just entered:

Please do not use this address.
Please contact first. Thanks.

And since i don't pay with this address, it's no big deal.
The only thing that you must get is the right postcode because it's checked.
You can find a postcode with ease using google...

London EC - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EC_postcode_area
Using the first EC, google it and the pick a random postcode from a real address - http://www.city.ac.uk/visit/campuses/west-smi … rtholomew-close

Done.

Did the same for german ebay...

Reply 41 of 73, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Except the block does not apply to sellers who opt-in for the GSP program, which is hideously expensive from what I heard.

What is GSP program?

Reply 42 of 73, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
northernosprey02 wrote:

Except the block does not apply to sellers who opt-in for the GSP program, which is hideously expensive from what I heard.

What is GSP program?

Global Shipping Program. An ebay global shipping program isn't needed, though, because many sellers already ship globally without any help from ebay.

Reply 43 of 73, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Huh? Is it possible do that? I thought S/H address should match Credit Card billing address. Whose address are you using in the UK, by the way?

I'm using the real address to Buckingham Palace on Ebay UK if Ebay refuses me to make a bid 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 44 of 73, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

I'm using the real address to Buckingham Palace on Ebay UK if Ebay refuses me to make a bid 😉

Better to use Windsor Castle, since that's where the Queen actually spends most of her time.

Reply 46 of 73, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ebay has become more disgusting.

I really want to buy this CD, and the seller does not have restriction to ship to Indonesia AT ALL, only to Russian Federation. Heck, I can even calculate the S/H cost to Indonesia on the shipping page.

But when I tried to bid the item, I got the following error message:

Attention buyer

We are sorry but the item you selected may not be purchased due to Seller shipping restrictions, country specific import/export or other relevant restrictions.

I don't think it'll be useful to contact ebay customer service again, because I already knew what their response would be: making some FICTION that my country restrict Audio CD import and other shits, while trying to persuade me to buy other shits I don't need.

Fuck you ebay.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 48 of 73, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

It's most likely the country specific import/export regulations that are preventing you from buying the item and not ebay.

One thing for sure: Indonesia does not have import restriction on audio CD. Does the US have export restriction on used audio CD?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 49 of 73, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

It's most likely the country specific import/export regulations that are preventing you from buying the item and not ebay.

One thing for sure: Indonesia does not have import restriction on audio CD. Does the US have export restriction on used audio CD?

It probably has something to do with region coding and distribution rights within each region. If one company has exclusive distribution rights in your region then it is illegal for anyone other than that company to sell that material there.

Reply 50 of 73, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
sliderider wrote:

It probably has something to do with region coding and distribution rights within each region. If one company has exclusive distribution rights in your region then it is illegal for anyone other than that company to sell that material there.

Does region restriction even apply to audio CD? W

Reply 51 of 73, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Audio CD may not be region coded, but there may still be distribution contracts within regions. So if Distribution Company A located in your country obtains the distribution rights from Big Recording Company B then Distribution Company C located outside your country cannot distribute that material in your country because they don't have a contract with Big Recording Company B covering your country though they may have a contract to distribute in some other country. It even applies to used material imported from outside because some other distribution company reaped the profit from that CD and you being allowed to buy it from outside your country takes a sale away from the company that is licensed to sell it there.

So in other words, it's like when Electronic Arts obtained an exclusive contract with the NFL to license their imagery and players for Madden. Nobody else could produce a football game using that I.P. because of the exclusivity agreement. Your region or country is a protected territory for whoever holds the distribution rights to the material you are trying to buy and nobody from outside can sell that material to you.

Reply 52 of 73, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It even applies to used material imported from outside because some other distribution company reaped the profit from that CD and you being allowed to buy it from outside your country takes a sale away from the company that is licensed to sell it there.

Got any sources to back that up?

Reply 53 of 73, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

It even applies to used material imported from outside because some other distribution company reaped the profit from that CD and you being allowed to buy it from outside your country takes a sale away from the company that is licensed to sell it there.

Got any sources to back that up?

That's the whole reason for the existence of region coding. Duh!

"DVD region codes are a digital rights management technique designed to allow film distributors to control aspects of a release, including content, release date, and price, according to the region."

From wiki entry on DVD region coding.

Reply 54 of 73, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So then, no, you don't actually have any sources... you're just spouting unfounded bullshit as usual.

In most countries, it's perfectly legal to import CDs/DVDs/games/etc. for personal use, regardless of any region coding. (That is, of course, assuming that there aren't import restrictions for other reasons, like censorship laws or whatever.) Here is the relevant section of the law in the US... not gonna bother citing the laws for every country, but they're going to be mostly similar due to all the copyright treaties and such.

The resale of such items is also generally OK. Commercial distribution without permission is a no-no, as one would expect. However, many places have the concept of the first-sale doctrine, which basically assures that an item is wholly yours after purchase, and you can do whatever you like with it... and that includes selling it. In the US, the right of first sale has even been recently upheld to include importing items specifically for resale. The EU courts have also upheld first-sale, but went a step further to include digital media in addition to physical media.

Reply 55 of 73, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have purchased audio CDs from Taiwan on ebay before. Overseas sales are quite common for such items as collectors usually seek out rare region specific releases. Whats interesting is that seller is in mainland China, but has the auction priced in US Dollars. He is obviously targeting the US market.

Reply 56 of 73, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Audio CD may not be region coded, but there may still be distribution contracts within regions. So if Distribution Company A located in your country obtains the distribution rights from Big Recording Company B then Distribution Company C located outside your country cannot distribute that material in your country because they don't have a contract with Big Recording Company B covering your country though they may have a contract to distribute in some other country. It even applies to used material imported from outside because some other distribution company reaped the profit from that CD and you being allowed to buy it from outside your country takes a sale away from the company that is licensed to sell it there.

So in other words, it's like when Electronic Arts obtained an exclusive contract with the NFL to license their imagery and players for Madden. Nobody else could produce a football game using that I.P. because of the exclusivity agreement. Your region or country is a protected territory for whoever holds the distribution rights to the material you are trying to buy and nobody from outside can sell that material to you.

Even if what you said is true, I highly doubt it's the case here. See, another overseas buyer suffers the same problem with mine, and when she/he contacted ebay, the customer service said that it is a technical problem related to android ebay app, despite the overseas buyer got the problem on Windows PC.

The sellers says he hasn't got any restrictions for overseas buyers. It's one of those "new type" listings where additional cost […]
Show full quote

The sellers says he hasn't got any restrictions for overseas buyers. It's one of those "new type" listings where additional costs are mentioned with one of those "i" icons.

The Ebay helpdesk thinks I have problems with my Iphone because I've mentioned the Ebay android app (gives error code 12310)
And they recommend trying a PC while I've mentioned the error message is from a PC...

Anyone else had this problem?

See? If it's truly because of region restriction for copyrighted materials, ebay would have said so. But ebay didn't say that. Instead, it blames android app despite the problem happened on PC.

So I suspect this is another ebay's disgusting attempt to punish sellers who are not joining their money-raking GSP program. That is, by blocking buyers from certain countries outside the seller's knowledge and consent. The said buyer's problem is exactly the same as mine:
(1) the overseas buyer comes from non-restricted country, and so do I (in my case, the only restricted country is Russian Federation, while my country is Indonesia).
(2) when the said buyer complained, ebay told her/him some fiction about faulty android ebay apps despite the error happened on PC; when I complained the first time I suffered the problem some months ago, ebay told me some fiction about Indonesia banning computer game imports - which is laughable.

Old Thrashbarg wrote:

So then, no, you don't actually have any sources... you're just spouting unfounded bullshit as usual.

In most countries, it's perfectly legal to import CDs/DVDs/games/etc. for personal use, regardless of any region coding. (That is, of course, assuming that there aren't import restrictions for other reasons, like censorship laws or whatever.) Here is the relevant section of the law in the US... not gonna bother citing the laws for every country, but they're going to be mostly similar due to all the copyright treaties and such.

The resale of such items is also generally OK. Commercial distribution without permission is a no-no, as one would expect. However, many places have the concept of the first-sale doctrine, which basically assures that an item is wholly yours after purchase, and you can do whatever you like with it... and that includes selling it. In the US, the right of first sale has even been recently upheld to include importing items specifically for resale. The EU courts have also upheld first-sale, but went a step further to include digital media in addition to physical media.

I couldn't have said it better.

Not to mention the CD I want to buy is located in China instead of the US.

So it's either ebay is still strongarming sellers who are not joining their money-raking GSP program, or ebay is sucking up to media companies by restricting legal media sale, or both. Doesn't really matter which, it's equally disgusting anyway.

Reply 57 of 73, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some new shit from ebay.

From the September 11, 2013 Update to the Ebay User Agreement: Updates to listing conditions. To further create a marketplace where buyers find what they want and drive positive user experience, we updated the provision regarding listing conditions to recognize that the appearance and placement of listings in search and browse results will depend on a variety of factors. So, in some situations a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of sort order.

"Positive user experience" my arse. Is that positive user experience when buyers can no longer buy the items they want? Is that positive user experience when the wanted items no longer appear on buyers' search result? Is that positive user experience when a buyer's search result is flooded by things she/he has never bought and never looked for?

Is ebay deliberately trying to insult its loyal customers by using the phrase "positive user experience"? I'm frankly fed up with this corporate PR bullshit. You know, when a corporation tells the customer to go fuck themselves using nice-sounding phrases, it's really an insult.

Reply 59 of 73, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Take a deep breath dude, it's just a website!

Unfortunately it's a website that has reached sufficient critical mass to be one of the largest source of the things we want to buy. I have tried other sources: Good Old Games for games, Beatport for music, etcetera. And trust me, if I can buy the Puya album I want on Beatport, I would definitely buy it there instead of ebay. Unfortunately, Beatport is not still big enough to sell sufficiently wide collection of music.

Besides, I've been ebay's loyal customer since 2004. So this is how corporations treat their loyal customer.