VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's the question. This is one of those things that has been on the back of my mind for a long time now and the idea of tweaking with BIOS files has always seemed like an interesting thing to do, along with the troubles it can save me when wanting to try different things out.

Hardware is nice, but having the right tools is just as important.

So I have basically 2 questions:
Which ones should/could I get and which ones would be advisable? It can't be too costly though, I really can't spend €300 on such a thing (no idea if the cheaper ones can be worth it).

I'd prefer to buy one form a shop in The Netherlands (I'd only ebay one if I really can't get around it).

Please feel free to share your experiences with them to me, this can help me make a decision 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I have a Genius G540, I used it for flashing BIOS chips.

Flashing BIOS chips is actually my main reason why I'm contemplating getting one. Thanks, I'll take a look at the one you have.

Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TL866CS: cheap and supports GAL burning as opposed to willem programmers and their usb derivatives.

http://www.autoelectric.cn/minipro/miniprosupportlist.txt

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

TL866CS: cheap and supports GAL burning as opposed to willem programmers and their usb derivatives.

http://www.autoelectric.cn/minipro/miniprosupportlist.txt

Thanks! Checking this one out also now.

I'm also reading up a bit and it seems I have quite a lot to learn. I do recognize the hardware but the software and technical data is mostly new to me, so feel free to tell me all you know! 😜

Edit:
Yours seems to come with a load of adapters as well, seems very handy!

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-01-22, 19:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I sent you a PM with an early access, for VIP, video 🤣

Lol, ok 😜

Do you by any chance happen to have a vid about using a tool like this? 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Tetrium
nah, rom burning is easy if you make sure the programmer supports the device you want to burn and you have the needed adapter (IF necessary).
I have both a GQ-3X and the 866CS , both need adapters for some bigger eproms (or eproms that are not DIP sized) but the 866CS does not need external PSU, supports more devices (GALs!!!!) and has 74xxx logic IC testing functionality. It's a winner for me.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 18, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am no expert here. Never personally owned one. Have been shopping/reading up on them though.
TL866A is what I've been looking at. Same as TL866CS but additionally supports ICSP.
The reason is it seems to support the widest range of ICs and I wanna play with more than just BIOS.
This one comes with -all- the adapters. http://www.ebay.com/itm/201448006503
Been on my shopping list a while but I probably won't buy until I actually need it for something.
The Genius G540 looks pretty good too if it does the ICs you want.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 9 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not needing external PSU is a nice bonus (I noticed I liked my external non-PSU'ed HDDs and ZIP drives a lot more than the ones that have an external PSU).
Obviously I'd want as much compatibility as possible, but I'd mostly want one that can handle the older chips of, say, roughly (s)s7 area (both mobos and graphics cards) but I'd prefer one that can handle 486 and s939-era stuff as well (if only for extracting the flash file).

The one posted by PCBONEZ seems like the one to have, but it's quite costly (I'd need to eat bread for a couple weeks 🤣) though I do know that sometimes it's better not to skimp on an investment.

Thanks you 2 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well, for retro reasons you don't need the A model (meaning the ICSP port - there is a hack to convert the CS to A model btw 😉 ) or all these expensive adapters. A single CS and a couple of PLCC adapters will cost 60-70$ and you can get adapters on a per-need basis.
All programmers mentioned here have no problems with old 8/16bit eproms. Any will serve you well.

Reply 12 of 18, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The adapters are more costly if bought separately later on (assuming they are still available) plus you have to wait again.
I'd rather save up and get the whole kit-n-caboodle in one shot.
(Look! I used caboodle in a sentence!)

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 13 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:

The adapters are more costly if bought separately later on (assuming they are still available) plus you have to wait again.
I'd rather save up and get the whole kit-n-caboodle in one shot.
(Look! I used caboodle in a sentence!)

This is very true. I'll need to see when and where I will be getting one, so I have ample time to see which one I will be needing to look out for, cheers all! 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 18, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just happened to have purchased a TL866A myself, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm hoping it will make it a bit easier to flash EEPROMs for things like XTIDE. I'm also wondering whether it will be possible to test 4164 DRAM chips in it, because I have an 8-bit VGA card with faulty video memory, so it'd be nice to have a way of testing out those chips so that I only have to replace the likely one or two that don't work.

Reply 15 of 18, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used my TL866CS to diagnose my 486's faulty cache (managed to narrow it down to the TAG RAM chip), and if I remember correctly, there are some DRAM ICs in their app's list.

Reply 16 of 18, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go for the TL866CS. I have a Genius G540 and although it works well and supports a lot more devices i will ever need its software is subpar and has problems with fast machines. Fortunately it still works well with my core 2 duo desktop but i could never make it work on I7 PC's.

TL866's seem to have frequent software updates.

Here's a review from EEVBLOG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLG03f_ua5g

Reply 17 of 18, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Get one of these, then sell it to me 😎

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 18 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Now I have a much better idea what I should be getting 😀

Lo Wang wrote:

Get one of these, then sell it to me 😎

But can it run Unreal? 😁

Report spammers here!