VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to post some recordings of DOS game music from different GM wavetables that I own. What's the best website for hosting these 1-2 minute recordings?

And what's the best audio format for saving these recordings? Thanks for all advice.

Reply 2 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SoundCloud works of course, but the audio quality is low enough that you'll definitely notice the compression.

You could just use Google Drive and post the recordings as FLAC or high quality AAC/MP3.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

SoundCloud works of course, but the audio quality is low enough that you'll definitely notice the compression.

You could just use Google Drive and post the recordings as FLAC or high quality AAC/MP3.

Opus is the new hotness when it comes to lossy sound compression.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 11, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SoundCloud does allow you to host raw WAV and I believe FLAC is supported. You don't get to stream in this format but you can allow downloads.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 6 of 11, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've decided to go with MP3 (320 kbps) and Soundcloud for now.

Although I will be starting a new thread for these recordings, here's the first one.

It is the Silicom Wavemaster 64FGP. Although this is not a very common OEM, the AdMOS QDSP 1000 wavetable it uses finds its way onto a lot of inexpensive boards.

Here's Descent: https://soundcloud.com/user-306991531/descent-64fgp

Reply 7 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why not just put the file on your server? At least in Chrome, it should play directly from within the browser?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 11, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Why not just put the file on your server? At least in Chrome, it should play directly from within the browser?

I don't have a server. Also, I'd prefer to keep these off my Dropbox/One Drive/Google Drive, which I use mostly for work. Soundcloud seems to maintain the fidelity reasonably, and I like how I can add comments to note the card and the synth it uses.

Reply 9 of 11, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

320k MP3 is a real waste. It made some kind of sense a long time ago, when compatibility was a pressing concern. You're using a lot of bandwidth for a lossy recording; if you can't do ~900k bitrate lossless for all its benefits of bit accuracy including transcoding to other formats, the optimal rate is below 200k and preferably a more advanced lossy format than MP3 (OGG or AAC).

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 10 of 11, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
firage wrote:

320k MP3 is a real waste. It made some kind of sense a long time ago, when compatibility was a pressing concern. You're using a lot of bandwidth for a lossy recording; if you can't do ~900k bitrate lossless for all its benefits of bit accuracy including transcoding to other formats, the optimal rate is below 200k and preferably a more advanced lossy format than MP3 (OGG or AAC).

I kind of figured since Audacity rates that bitrate as "insane" or some such. I went ahead and recorded using OGG at the highest setting (10). Maybe I'll switch to lossless if it's not too much of a hassle. When this gets to seem like work, I'll stop.

Soundcloud seems to convert the audio to its own format, so I'm not sure how much that process degrades the audio. But it's okay for now.