VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The list I maintain on PC Game Compatibility is here: PC Game Compatibility List

I started the list during Beta 3?? of Windows 2000 way back in 1999. There really wasn't much point in maintaining an NT4/98 list since I just ran all of my Windows games in Windows 98SE, Rebooted in DOS for DOS games, and booted into NT4 to get work done since I couldn't really do anything with 98 except play games.

Anyways I've noticed 87 downloads today since 8-27-2006. That's only 11 days! 😁

So obviously the list is somewhat popular. I was wondering if there was some subject that I'm not covering in my list that people would like me to research?

Things I'm NOT going to work on for awhile:
VISTA
BARTPE (probably not ever....I'm thinking about deleting it).
Any version of NT below v4. Although it would be cool to see DosBox on NT3.51......
Any version of Windows below Windows 98SE. (Windows 98 is on the list to actually make sure that the games that don't work in newer operating systems actually do work).
Web based version of the list. (This is bugging me more and more but excel is perfectly functional and I don't need the complication of SQL/HTML for my list).

You've probably noticed that there are tons of categories but not really that much information in them. The list is primarily about compatibility and that's been my focus and will be for quite some time, occasionally I get around to updating the different categories of information but it's alot of work and not really that usefull for the goal of the list which is to help people get their games working.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I tend to check your list to see if the dosbox compatibility has improved

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 5, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DosFreak, your list is awesome, keep it up!

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I need to work more on the DosBox list.

Things I hate about my list:
I only keep my list updated with the newest CVS that I used to test.....so I don't have any comparison of earlier CVS's, and it's not like I go through all of these games every time a new CVS comes out. (I only do that when official versions are released).
Thinking about a DosBox Official list and a DosBox CVS list.......

Also I need to work on Sound\Networking compatibility on the DosBox list but these are low priority for me since I want to "finish" 2003 testing.

Reply 4 of 5, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah its a good list. I also think a wiki devoted to each game and its required settings/problems/patches/manuals would be a fun idea, and one I've comtemplated, but it would be tons of work.

Reply 5 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's one: http://wiki.classicdosgames.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Problem with something like this for me is I have my own list that's a PITA to work on, I don't have time to bother with someone else's project. Also I like my list because I KNOW that the games that I say work and do not work because I test each.

It is extremly difficult to list a game as "working" on my list, whereas "No working" games are given such a designation at the drop of a hat. (If I'm pissed off that day and the install is going way to slow I'll just list it as not working and move on. 😉 ).