VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 49, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Either 1950s jazz or World War II-era big band.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 21 of 49, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Firtasik wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Sort of off-topic, but is that Nivek Ogre in your avatar? It looks like one of the getups he uses when performing live.

Yes, it's from the Ain't It Dead Yet? video. 😀

I knew it! 😁 I've seen parts of it on YouTube, and I've listened to the album version about a million times. It's a shame they never made a properly mastered DVD version. Two printings of it were released, where one was missing a certain amount of footage, and the other suffered from audio dropouts. I actually want to get my hands on a good quality VCR along with a VHS copy some day just so I can have the "good version".

Reply 22 of 49, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

What are your favourite modules? I downloaded some from modarchive, but it's usually hit and miss. What sound equipment do you use for playback? Is it Sound Blaster or Covox?

I use a SoundBlaster Vibra16 (the model with a real YMF262 chip), and Impulse Tracker's ITSB16.MMX driver. The machine running it is a Pentium 2 processor (same one that's overheating alot and I haven't been able to fix that problem)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 24 of 49, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to play modules via AWE32/64 in Cubic...

though it's hard to work on a PC while listening to modules since that was the PC that plays them 😜

I do still listen to modules during production sometimes, but random shuffle from a zip file of over 28,000 of them. If something comes across as nice or freaking weird sounding I copy those mods to the appropriate playlist.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 25 of 49, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends where I am working.

In my room I have either the stereo playing radio, or my old CD collection in the 110+1 changer or just my main machine playing something from the archives (MP3 top 100 for each year 1970-2000 or just CD rips). We have 80's weekends here on one of the local radio channels and with my directional rooftop antenna I get channels from all over (Cleveland and Pittsburgh).

In the basement lab I usually just listen to the radio on the bookshelf stereo. Was going to connect my old 80's era Technics stereo up but lack room and motivation.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 26 of 49, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A haphazard playlist full of modern chillout music (Bonobo, Com Truise, etc), 80s pop (A-Ha, Huey Lewis and the News, Kim Wilde, etc), 90s dance (Darude), Classic Rock (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Guns n Roses, etc), baroque classical, and chiptunes.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 27 of 49, by Holering

User metadata

VGM. I like video game music (mazedude is one of my favorites from OCremix). Don't mind classical either. I actually hate lyrics (no joke), unless it's some good opera or Sqa ("Mighty Mighty Bosstones" comes to mind). Oh yeah, and I love midis of course; love making my own pat sets and using them through Timidity++.

Reply 28 of 49, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Firtasik wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Sort of off-topic, but is that Nivek Ogre in your avatar? It looks like one of the getups he uses when performing live.

Yes, it's from the Ain't It Dead Yet? video. 😀

I knew it! 😁 I've seen parts of it on YouTube, and I've listened to the album version about a million times. It's a shame they never made a properly mastered DVD version. Two printings of it were released, where one was missing a certain amount of footage, and the other suffered from audio dropouts. I actually want to get my hands on a good quality VCR along with a VHS copy some day just so I can have the "good version".

There's a remastered bootleg copy called Version 3.1 from 2006. Probably the best release, it contains the infamous Worlock video clip as a bonus. 😀

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 30 of 49, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Firtasik wrote:

]There's a remastered bootleg copy called Version 3.1 from 2006. Probably the best release, it contains the infamous Worlock video clip as a bonus. 😀

Nice! 😁 I'll have to look it up.

Reply 31 of 49, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Snoop, dr dre, too short (my favourite rapper of all time) , 2 pac, rappin' 4 tay, Metallica, some Jan hammer and a bunch of Miami vice music, old school Warren g, and the best band in the world...pearl jam

Reply 32 of 49, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can be anything from 1900 to the early 90s. Sorta stopped following music after mid 90s.

Classical, jazz, classic rock, R&B, funk. There's so much in my collection I can't list it all.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 33 of 49, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofanatic wrote:

Snoop, dr dre, too short (my favourite rapper of all time) , 2 pac, rappin' 4 tay,

🤣 the last time I listened to westcoast gangsta rap was 1998. I had recently tried to remember some of the artists i've heard then to replace the hiphop radio station in Saints Row The Third with stuff i'm more familiar with from that era.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 34 of 49, by swampfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Chiptunes, tracker music, MIDI music (mostly from games).

Right now I'm listening to my YM tunes collection. Very nice 😀

Same here for the most part.
I have a lot of Protracker and Scream Tracker III modules from BBS archives on cd.textfiles.com

Also a variety of MIDIs, ranging from game music to usual pop/rock. Like to play them back with Bisqwits' OPL3 emulator, adlmidi, using either his own instrument map, or the DMX map from Doom, with 25 emulated chips for high polyphony and full stereo panning.
If they are well sequenced/composed MIDIs, I might go for my favorite realistic-sounding soundfont, SGM-v.2.01, with the BASSMIDI synthesizer.

Swampfox's Computing - Google+ and YouTube: https://plus.google.com/108854180391399268575

Reply 36 of 49, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man I know the main theme from Castlevania (NES) by heart 🤣. I used to play that, Super Mario 3 and Double Dragon all the time. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 37 of 49, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:

Snoop, dr dre, too short (my favourite rapper of all time) , 2 pac, rappin' 4 tay,

🤣 the last time I listened to westcoast gangsta rap was 1998. I had recently tried to remember some of the artists i've heard then to replace the hiphop radio station in Saints Row The Third with stuff i'm more familiar with from that era.

🤣 I know, 1998 to about 2004 was pretty much the epitome of my gangsta rap listening days, but I am always trying to relive those days... 🤣 ...I really do like it still though

...BTW even though Nas and Gangstarr are on my playlists as well, I still do prefer westcoast stuff over east... 🤣

Listening to some Moby now

Reply 38 of 49, by Holering

User metadata
swampfox wrote:

If they are well sequenced/composed MIDIs, I might go for my favorite realistic-sounding soundfont, SGM-v.2.01, with the BASSMIDI synthesizer.

SGM-V2.01 is a terrific soundfont. It might've been made with the Sound Blaster Live! in mind. I've never heard a soundfont exploit the Live card as well since the late 90s. Lots of stereo and special effects. I swear it was made specifically for the Live card. Also noticed a lot of instruments are used with SNES games, but they're much higher quality with SGM-V2.01. It's also one of my favorites. It's perfect with Dosbox (I'm sure some midi sounds way better than CD audio equivalents).

Reply 39 of 49, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh man, I usually listen to either demoscene music (PC & Amiga are my favorites), house, hip hop, or gangster rap. I listen to a lot of jungle but usually when I'm gaming.