VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 4120 of 52786, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ You funny guy, This is what I suspected at this point. Granted I did not know most of these cards to begin with, but after it was revealed what they were, this whole story was just too silly to be true.
But then you never know... 2 years ago I found a collection of N64 carts in a dumpster, including Harvest moon 64. And a guy on Assembler forums claims he recently bought a box of SNES games for 15$ at a flea market and it had earthboumd and chrono trigger in it ( Maybe he was trolling too ). But still, sometimes people do not know what they are chucking away.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4122 of 52786, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't played Harvest Moon for the N64 in like 14 years o.o (getting old) anyway went to a local shop and scooped up a Thermaltake Golden SECC2 and a boxed VF770 alcu for $5 each.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4123 of 52786, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the plastic is the only domed part of the capacitor on my ST (I was able to depress it)... but the drop trick didn't work, and I'm no closer to figuring out what the dickens is going on with it. Hmm. I also dissembled the Inspiron 8100 laptop, and my goodness, it's like a giant Meccano set - far more complicated than it needs to be (and I wasn't able to fix the screen by reseating the cable either.) On top of all of this, I've ordered a 6.4GB hard drive for the Powerbook, and a 40GB drive for whatever I feel like putting it in 🤣

Oh, and I'm glad that the graphics card incident was just some drunken trolling.

Reply 4124 of 52786, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Lukeno94

you should really change this cap and see what happens , once you open the machine up and inspect it

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4125 of 52786, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

@Lukeno94

you should really change this cap and see what happens , once you open the machine up and inspect it

As I've said before, I have neither access to a soldering iron, nor any soldering skills; my hands are not steady enough for such a fairly precise task.

EDIT: What's that Avid Technology PCI graphics card, VoodooMan? Looks like a serious bit of kit.

Reply 4126 of 52786, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VooDooMan wrote:
Haha, gotcha :D You've been punked :P […]
Show full quote

Haha, gotcha 😁 You've been punked 😜

Of course I still got ALL of those cards!!! 😀

And I haven't found them in a dumpster...

I spent fortune to get them….
Some people(including me) have been looking for those cards in years!
How could one find such treasures in one place?
The chances are bigger that you would win in a lottery...

When I was writing the first post I thought that nobody is gonna believe me, that it is so obvious... But you did not catch my joke on the first time so I stared to have fun 😜 I wrote that I got rid of them ( sorry I was not sober at that time...) and there was even more fun 😁 But now I feel kind of "bad" cause some of you FINALLY got suspicious 😜 So I decided to tell the truth...

I know, I know... I've got a specific sense of humor. I know that it was kind of cruel, and some of you probably hate me by now but I hope you gonna forgive me eventually 😀 I will try to compensate my mistake: I will test all those cards and share with the results. I have been testing that Neon for a week now, more info here:

Ultimate PowerVR SGL card/rig/games?

I appologise once agian, and thank you for all the private messages 😉

I was wondering if this wasn't the case - 🤣. I was thinking it would be kind of odd to find such a specific collection of ~2002-3 videocards in one bag, but then again, stranger things have happened. 😊

Out of curiosity - do you have multiples of the 5800U/S3 card (or is it multiple pictures stacked)? And on your 5800U, what does the nVidia driver panel report for "Board Info" (you may need NvTweak to enable that panel)?

Reply 4127 of 52786, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Nicely played Voodooman, nicely played. 🤣

Thanks – I like to play with people from time to time 😉

obobskivich wrote:

Out of curiosity - do you have multiples of the 5800U/S3 card (or is it multiple pictures stacked)? And on your 5800U, what does the nVidia driver panel report for "Board Info" (you may need NvTweak to enable that panel)?

Yes of course, I have got several of those 😉 I had the fourth 3S but it went to Slaventus this year 😁 Those are 2 256MB versions, and 1 128MB version. The one with replaced capacitors is just a spare one left for trade 😀 you can see on the pictures that those are different cards, not just stacked pictures.

I have got some problems with running those 5800 Ultra cards – they do not want to boot. Perhaps my power supply is too weak for it’s powerful engine… 🤣… but my girlfriend has already dried her hair with it, so in the worst case I will have another hair drier in the house 😁

Lukeno94 wrote:

EDIT: What's that Avid Technology PCI graphics card, VoodooMan? Looks like a serious bit of kit.

Those chips on the card are 2x Number Nine Ticket to Ride and the card itself is called Avid Meridien II if I remember correctly 😉 Haven’t seen much of those around…

Here some more pictures and a bonus:

0afdf8e4da56.jpg

96865090ce92.jpg

8b4bab33a2f4.jpg

2d013177978e.jpg

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 4129 of 52786, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaxWar wrote:

I have found a card with a similar chip in a dumpster. Is it worth anything?

<snip>
<snip>

It's a number nine card so they're sort of nice, but it's just the S3-chipped ones, which are sort of "meh". The ones with the actual number-nine chips and ticket-to-ride edition are worth lots of cash.

Reply 4130 of 52786, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ still it has an IBM ramdac so it must have a nice output quality 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4131 of 52786, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaxWar wrote:

I can't tell if people are kidding about dumpster findings now... 😜

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4132 of 52786, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
MaxWar wrote:

Actually, I think I found this one in a box of junk parts that someone had left on the sidewalk. So not technically a dumpster but close enough :p
You can tell by the bent connector plate and bent header pins that this card was unloved in the past.

I checked a bit about that S3 chipset. I see that it does not do 3d but if it has a nice output as Keropi said, might be a good companion for a voodoo or voodoo2?

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4133 of 52786, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

If it means anything, I had a dream last night about finding like 20 motherboards in a dumpster and they all worked and I was the happiest person alive.

Reply 4134 of 52786, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
MaxWar wrote:

Haha this made me laugh so much 😁

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 4135 of 52786, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3DFX Voodoo - Canopus Pure3D LX 6MB PCI (Boxed) (1996)
iszuw.jpg
6woa.jpg

ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32MB AGP (R100) (NOS) (2000)
b2yi.jpg

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB AGP (R350) (NOS) (2003)
nx646.jpg

ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro 128MB AGP (R350) (Boxed) (2003)
f8mt3.jpg

Creative CT1330A Rev. 5 (Sound Blaster Pro 1.0) ISA (Boxed) (Complete) (1991)
0z4u.jpg
l7ioi.jpg
wlny.jpg

Creative CT1600 (Sound Blaster Pro 2) Deluxe Edition ISA (NOS) (1991)
k45e.jpg

Creative CT1600 (Sound Blaster Pro 2) Value Edition ISA (NOS) (1991)
4601q.jpg

Creative SB0240P (Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum) (NOS) (2002)
e4cbm.jpg

STMicroelectronics Kyro II (PowerVR3 4500) - Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64MB AGP (NOS) (2001)
qm9r.jpg

Western Digital 100GB IDE 7200 RPM Hard Drive (NOS) (2002)
sls9.jpg

Western Digital 120GB IDE 7200 RPM Hard Drive (Special Edition - WD1200JB - 8MB Cache) (NOS) (2003)
zpid.jpg

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4136 of 52786, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jesus Christ, Artex. Where do you keep finding these things.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 4138 of 52786, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ebay (Worldwide) & Craigslist primarily.... If Bristlehog would stop finding the good stuff.... 😎

I bagged the sealed Radeon 9800 Pro, sealed Audigy2 Platinum and both sealed hard drives from a single Craigslist posting. Got somewhat of a deal on that stuff for the bundle, not so much on some of the others. I'm primarily filling up some holes in my collection - replacing out-of-the-box hardware with boxed stuff here and there.

The Canopus LX card is relatively rare by itself, and I don't think I've seen too many boxed (complete) versions - the guy surprisingly accepted my offer that was much lower than he started the original BIN.

Admittedly, I did "Artex" the sealed SB Pro 2.0 Deluxe Edition. I stumbled across the eBay listing literally 3 minutes after he posted it. It wasn't a BIN but I really needed the card so I messaged him and offered what I thought was fair (since it was sealed and relatively rare to begin with). I already had the Basic and Value Edition - just needed the "Deluxe" version for the 'sealed trio.' 😀 Now I just gotta collect the different box-art variants...

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4139 of 52786, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

I've yielded ZERO results from that... not surprisingly I guess. I have had some people contact me asking why in the hell I would want that stuff. People don't 'get' our hobby.. 😀

LihnlZ.jpg