VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 36, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

user made approximate total conversions of other games for other games is not a substitute for the real thing

It's actually the original contect directly ported to the Doom engine, he says it right there, and I personally experienced that it is. It's true to the original game, only better. Yeah I know I know, "it's not the original so its just a crappy mod", but i've never said this about ANY other TC revival before - It's seriously what Wolfenstein woulda been like if it was released 2 years later. There have been map editors around for years that have 100% support for loading both DOOM engine and WOLF engine maps/textures/sprites/etcetera, I used to be in on the Doom modding scene a while back. They are 100% feature complete, especially since the games become open source, and support 100% accurate porting that any man and dog can do.

You can even port Quake1 maps to the Doomsday engine with 100% accuracy these days.

It's not an approximate conversion, its the lovechild of an amazing genius with too much spare time. If you actually played it, you wouldn't be dissing it.... besides, Wolfenstien with a mouse and TWO actual strafe keys is a great way to reply the game if you want that (it's optional) - on the hardest difficulty!

I'm gonna play it right now actually. Damn there I go again!

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 23 of 36, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

When trying to download anything from the wolfendoom site it goes to Atomic Gamer. Most say "Parent Directory: Half-Life". This doesn't seem right.

I noticed this. I've been trying to find a mirror, I havn't downloaded them for ages and don't have my originals anymore 🙁

I'll edit this post when I do find a mirror - started searching again right now.

EDIT: Here ya go!

http://www.doomwadstation.com/main/wolfdoom.html

It has all epsiodes in one 33MB download, for PC only (no Mac version). I'm downloading it now, hope it works! Also, be sure to use the included sourceports - Doom Legacy, Zdoom, Doomsday, etc are apparently not 100% compatible - things like the Bosses not dropping keys and stuff. I remember getting it working on Doomsday once upon a time, and might look into it soon (Doomsday is the best sourceport by far).

EDIT2: There is a conversion of this very-old Wolfendoom to work on Doomsday found here - http://reilsss.crawl-forever.com/p4-projects.html but it only states it has the original episode and Spear Of Destiny. I'm still getting it though.

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 25 of 36, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. Neither can I.

Well, if you can wait 24 hours or so, i'm currently converting the entire Wolfendoom Series to the Doomsday engine, which is the most up-to-date sourceport for doom (Windows required, Linux and Mac OSX are OK but some manual editing will be required). All you'll need is you copy of DOOM2.WAD patched up to the latest version (I can help with the patching if needed), and everything else is downloadable.

I'll make a new thread when it's all up and ready =)

EDIT: Nah it's completely messed up... the original mods where specifically made for the sourceports they came with, i'm working on bringing them over to a new engine but it will take a long time. Doomwadstation is back up though, I deleted the originals too and only have the WAD and DEH files 🙁

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 26 of 36, by Keith03820

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Isn't there a little mean cause company's like sierra and steam are using the creators of dosbox and selling the games and making a profit from it. Cause they could never make a old game work for windows so they have to rely on people that make it for them...

Thats my own opinion.

Reply 27 of 36, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Keith03820 wrote:

Isn't there a little mean cause company's like sierra and steam are using the creators of dosbox and selling the games and making a profit from it. Cause they could never make a old game work for windows so they have to rely on people that make it for them...

Thats my own opinion.

One of the reasons why I NEVER make the software I develop Open Source.... yes it sucks. They probably got permission from DOSBox creators though I assume....? They should of donated a huge wad of cash to the dev's...

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 29 of 36, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah yes... tis true. Such a bold and intricate project would've gotten absolutely nowhere (I might mention that the stuff I create is nowhere NEAR as cool or useful, thus no need for community input).

Everything has its pro's and con's... as it is. Sierra... yeah.... they got really sour over the years. What used to be a small-time publish house of classic games, turns into a mass-production shite house.... such is the path of 'progress' in the world aye...! *cough* Electronic Arts *COUGH*

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 30 of 36, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
danielc wrote:

They probably got permission from DOSBox creators though I assume....?

They don't need it , nor asked it.

They should of donated a huge wad of cash to the dev's...

if wad == 0 then they did.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 31 of 36, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think if the DOSBox devs were worried about cash they would just fork the project and use the fork for businesses that still us MS-DOS apps. (or more likely stop wasting their time with DOSBox and concentrate on more profitable ventures.....like just working for a living 😉 )

Problem with adding patches for businesses into DOSBox is Qbix has stated before that businesses that have requested a feature and promised payment and then they implement the feature but never get paid. (Hopefully the devs didn't give them the software then.....but obviously the big deal there is the time wasted by the devs)

There are ALOT of businesses still using 16bit apps that could benefit from DOSBox (and some do use DOSBox) and they are in a tough position as far as upgrading. Do they go through the pain and frustration of trying to find a modern equivalent of their app or programming a new program, do they try to get the app running on new hardware with an older OS or do they try to use the program in a VM on new hardware/OS? The more naive people would just say "Upgrade\recode the app!" but that's easier said than done.

If DOSBox crew were able to charge game companies for usage of DOSBox then more likely those companies would never release the products or they would go elsewhere and use the freely available port (if there are any). Most companies would never bother to code a port themselves due to it requireing time and money to do so which could be used on a new game instead.

It's always about profit and most things that are "good for humanity" are NOT profitable so why "waste" money would you could be making it? Humanitarianism is for chumps. (Not my personal belief just the way it is)

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-04-12, 17:22. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 32 of 36, by Keith03820

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright qbix maybe you should help did sierra and steem even ask permission at all?

If so did you guys get a cut every time there is a sale cause there using your product well the creators product..

If it was my program and they wanted to use it cause they were too lazy to make the dos game to work for window's xp I would just laugh in there faces. Cause they would be able to just make a regular game like now only they just have to do is place the for example warcraft 1 game to windows xp game. Sorry I am not really a expert of thinking about this stuff haha.

Qbix wrote:
They don't need it , nor asked it. […]
Show full quote
danielc wrote:

They probably got permission from DOSBox creators though I assume....?

They don't need it , nor asked it.

They should of donated a huge wad of cash to the dev's...

if wad == 0 then they did.

Reply 33 of 36, by Keith03820

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I am not gonna jump the gun hear like they would really take a open source software then clam it for them self.

But they sure are lazy games from sierra all the kings quest games, police quest and space quest. They made alot of money off that using dosbox.

🤣 games had errors mess up problems with the sounds and other stuff people half of the time complain on there forum some of them didn't ran perfect. I remember calling sierra up asking for help caused I couldn't play kings quest 3 4 and 5 I was trying to get help.
And the person didn't knew what to do so he got the manager 🤣 and direct me too dosbox website cause he said "I am sorry sir but I cannot help you for your questions and answers go too http://dosbox.com/ and click the forum for further assistants." Right then I told him "look the company of sierra should of never try to make the games and using dosbox when you and your team don't have a clue to use it." He tried to calm me down haha I just went "it's not going anywhere I will just not buy anything by sierra good day" Then I hang up laughing...

DosFreak wrote:

go elsewhere and use the freely available port (if there are any). Most companies would never bother to code a port themselves due to it requireing time and money to do so which could be used on a new game instead.)

Reply 34 of 36, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Keith03820, at least they bothered to even acknowledge the games they made from years ago that arn't even available for retail sale.... many companies will pretend they never existed because they're "more trouble then they're worth" so I think you're pretty lucky.

In regards to DOSBox and the whole chairty thing.... yeah it's true, a pro bono production such as this has so many uses in the world, but I think the main point is that its for GAMING and it's also keeping alive things that many people would prefer to leave in history. I mean... for example... so many kids these days, if they see anything that's even 2D... let alone 8-bit low-res VGA... it's automatically "the shittest thing that ever existed"... retro gaming is still a niche and always will be....

...do you guys (DOSBox dev's/admin's) have any relationship with GOG.com? I've bought a couple off there =)

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 35 of 36, by Keith03820

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I rather do 8bit and other games from the past cause no matter how much you play it you want more... But sometimes remakes are good too well only if they don't change the story or the game how it was played. Then the remake it good..

Think about all the great games that you loved that were remade with better graphics but same story line and same game and everything else is the same. Just the graphics and they fix the bugs and other things in the game but it was still the same. I probably would buy it unless they have two options like remake and original game.

From the original poster rixasha I wouldn't buy any old games at all cause there isn't really a point. Ya I buy a game from steam download and they hardly work such as I have problems from hexen... So I rather found a person that has a rip cd copy of the game to download.

danielc wrote:

Keith03820, at least they bothered to even acknowledge the games they made from years ago that arn't even available for retail sale.... many companies will pretend they never existed because they're "more trouble then they're worth" so I think you're pretty lucky.

In regards to DOSBox and the whole chairty thing.... yeah it's true, a pro bono production such as this has so many uses in the world, but I think the main point is that its for GAMING and it's also keeping alive things that many people would prefer to leave in history. I mean... for example... so many kids these days, if they see anything that's even 2D... let alone 8-bit low-res VGA... it's automatically "the shittest thing that ever existed"... retro gaming is still a niche and always will be....

...do you guys (DOSBox dev's/admin's) have any relationship with GOG.com? I've bought a couple off there =)

Reply 36 of 36, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

{clichemode}They don't make 'em like they used to. It's all about the special effects these days.{/clechemode}

Keith03820 wrote:

From the original poster rixasha I wouldn't buy any old games at all cause there isn't really a point. Ya I buy a game from steam download and they hardly work such as I have problems from hexen... So I rather found a person that has a rip cd copy of the game to download.

I go to the effort to make sure the game is 101% aba***nw*re before downloading a version I didn't pay for. I don't feel bad about not paying for something when the money just goes to a corporation who had absolutely nothing to do with the original creators, but managed to get their greedy hands on copyrights....

*cough*

....I did a good job rocketing this thread off-topic. Apologies...

Regards,
CosmicDan