VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello!

I had a blast making win3.11 working fine with DOS7.10 (win98SE dos with FAT32 partition) , so I am sharing my experience 😊

1st problem:

DOS7.10 IO.SYS needs to be patched so that windows 3.x can be installed.
This can be done with Ralf Buschmann's OSR2fix package, the program needed is inside the WIN3X.BUG directory. It will backup and patch IO.SYS automatically. Be sure to check the documentation (basically you forget 32bit disk/file access)

2nd problem:

OK you got win3.11 installed but when you exit it you are greeted with this:

dh3hv4.jpg

The filesystem is fine but until you change a directory and make some file operation then you are stuck with phantom garbage files.
I have posted this problem over MSFN forums HERE and rloew came up with a small patch on win386.exe to stop it from corrupting the DOS directory pointers.
It works for both windows 3.1 and 3.11 , the changes needed are the following:

Patch SYSTEM\WIN386.EXE as follows:

Windows 3.1
0005EA26: 66 C7 46 49 FF FF -> 6A FF 8F 46 49 90
0005EC38: 66 C7 46 49 FF FF -> 6A FF 8F 46 49 90

Windows 3.11
00065A26: 66 C7 46 49 FF FF -> 6A FF 8F 46 49 90
00065C38: 66 C7 46 49 FF FF -> 6A FF 8F 46 49 90

I have made a small patch to apply this for win3.11 win386.exe, run it under DOS (win386.exe is located in the <windows>\System subdir).

Notes:
* Be sure to load IFSHLP.SYS from the windows3.x directory if you need networking, the win98SE one lacks the needed functions.
* For win3.x avoid the nvidia riva128/TNT driver since it will cause many stability problems.

Thanks for reading and enjoy!!! 😊

Attachments

• Filename
    osr2fix.exe
    File size
    29.53 KiB
    Downloads
    2097 downloads
    File comment
    Ralf Buschmann's OSR2fix package
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    win311-FAT32-compatibility-patch.zip
    File size
    604 Bytes
    Downloads
    2129 downloads
    File comment
    small .com to patch \system\win386.exe to improve compatibility with DOS7.1/FAT32
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

nice, thanks

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 20, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I recall, Windows 3.x can be installed in DOS 7.1 (Windows 98 original), but not run without a patch. I also don't recall getting that dir error. I believe I used w3xstart to get Windows 3.x running on DOS 7.1, and yes, it's on a FAT32 partition.

Reply 3 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes you are right about the w3start patch, it's used to run win3x not install it... anyways the FAT32 problem is there and is known for a long time... maybe AdamP your 3.x partition was a small one (~2-8GB?) and that's why you did not get it....?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 20, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Should be possible.

I have win95 and 3.11 under Dos 7.1

I have a config.sys with Selection which Windows to boot.Each windows has its own drive Letter and Folder-name.

But there a some Problems. Some Drivers for example install in the wrong windows.

So i learned, before make changes to the system, make backup first.

But ehen configured well, it works great.

Reply 6 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MS-DOS 7.x supports long filenames, correct? Is it possible to get those to show up in Win 3.x?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

MS-DOS 7.x supports long filenames, correct? Is it possible to get those to show up in Win 3.x?

Way back in the day, I had a utility that somehow patched the Win3.x File Manager to support long filenames. I guess that counts.

Win3.x is sufficiently unstable that I wouldn't want to do anything more in it than I absolutely have to.

Reply 9 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Be careful with utilities that don't support LFN and running them on filesystems that do.

I remember running pc tools defrag on my newly installed Windows 95 back in 1995.....not good.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 20, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Riva128 TNT?
does that apply to the m64 card aswell? re: win3.11 driver being buggy?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 11 of 20, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am currently working in that solution and found this thread. Perhaps I can figure it out.

40GB Harddrive:
02GB FAT16 Boot
06GB FAT32 Dosdata (mostly dosgames)
32GB FAT32 Windata (mostly wingames)

I install Win95b into the Boot-Partition and change the startupfiles so that win95b is always starting to the Dosprompt.
I install Win95b into "Win9x-Folder" and Win311 into "Win3x-Folder".

I create some Batchfiles in order to start either Win95 or Win311. Currently Win311 does not boot at all, Win31 does indeed boot but only with "/s"= Standard-Mode. I must have 386-mode otherwise my sound and graphic-drivers do not work correctly.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 13 of 20, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found one bug or is this normal behavior?
- Booting into Win95b command-line and executing win3x after installing the patches.
- When I quit Win31 I get back to C:, but I have to do a reboot because I always get the message "file-system corrupted on C:" if I do anything (like "dir") after quitting Win31.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 15 of 20, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I remember correctly there is some option for 3.x win.ini that directs it to use DOS for filesystem operations.
That was not the default behavior because of the performance penalty to enter real mode for every filesystem call.
Right now I do not remember the details, so I am not sure whether I am confusing that with the VirtualHDIrq thing.

Reply 16 of 20, by Delphis1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rhuwyn wrote:

Sorry for the Necro. But does this mean you can get Windows 3.11 working alongside Windows 98 as well?

Yes, it's possible, afaik in the same partition as well.
You have to make a bootmenu inside the config.sys to load the drivers needed for each OS.
Then inside the autoexec.bat you have to use the %config% variable to jump to the right section inside the autoexec.bat to make some preparations BEFORE starting Windows:
For example you choose to start Win98. Then in the autoexec you jump to the Win98-Section.
There are some commands to rename some folders.
For example rename the Windows Folder:

:MENU
IF %CONFIG%==WIN311 GOTO WIN311
IF %CONFIG%==WIN98 GOTO WIN98
GOTO EXIT

:WIN311
IF NOT EXIST C:\WIN311 REN C:\WINDOWS C:\WIN311
IF EXIST C:\WIN98 REN C:\WIN98 C:\WINDOWS
WIN

:WIN98
IF NOT EXIST C:\WIN98 REN C:\WINDOWS C:\WIN98
IF EXIST C:\WIN311 REN C:\WIN311 C:\WINDOWS
WIN
GOTO EXIT

:EXIT

Make sure to check, if the Folder was already renamed (for that reason I used the IF EXIST and IF NOT EXIST commands) to avoid renaming twice and therefore scramble both folders.
The programs folder doesn't need to be renamed.
Windows 3.11 uses C:\PROGRAMS, Windows 98 uses C:\Program Files (under Windows 3.11 shown as C:\Progra~1. DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING IN THIS FOLDER!!!).

Of course you have to adapt this commands to your needing, especially the names of the sections I used (WIN98 and WIN311).
They MUST match the section names used inside the config.sys for the bootmenu.

Reply 18 of 20, by Delphis1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a little bit of both.
Windows 3.11 has sporadically little issues regarding the memory management,
especially if you use FILESHIGH, STACKSHIGH, FCBSHIGH and BUFFERSHIGH.
You can get some problems of using 32 Bit Disk/File Access, too.
Usually you won't run into major problems, but still be careful, especially with system tools.
NEVER EVER use the DEFRAG or SCANDISK from earlier DOS Versions.
They usually shouldn't work at all, but for security reasons don't even try it, they CAN destroy the FAT.
Use the Defrag from Windows 9x instead.
If you really want to defrag from pure DOS, search for the norton utilities.

Last edited by Delphis1982 on 2023-09-11, 07:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 20, by johnnycontrario

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Delphis1982 wrote on 2023-06-24, 18:10:

It's a little bit of both.
Windows 3.11 has sporadically little issues regarding the memory management,
especially if you use FILESHIGH, STACKSHIGH, FCBSHIGH and BUFFERSHIGH.

Sorry if I'm off topic, but I have to thank you for pointing this out.
I was struggling with a 486 build that would crash with memory errors after exiting Win 3.11. I knew it was related to my network card (Netgear EA201) and I assumed I needed to get a different one. I didn't have FILESHIGH, STACKSHIGH, FCBSHIGH, or BUFFERSHIGH, but your comment pointed me in a new direction. It turns out, I fixed it by adding the 'NOTR' parameter to the emm386 line in config.sys. (NOTR tells emm386 to not search for token ring network adapters.)