VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wanted to let everyone know that my attempt to build my own high-end computer is, so far, a success! (I'm even typing this message from it!) :D

Granted, it's not turning out "perfectly". The mouse is having an odd scroll-wheel problem which I've sent an eMail to Azio's tech support about. I'm also rapidly learning how loud various computer components are when your case is 50% ventilation holes, though the fans (short of the PSU fan whenever it comes on) are all actually really quiet.

Also, LEDs everywhere. You could light a room with this thing. XD

I haven't put this thing through it's paces yet as I'm still installing drivers and whatnot, and found out in the process that Dad's internet service is only 2.5 Mbps... which I'm pretty sure is half of what it should be. I thought maybe it was a dual-channel problem with my network card but even Dad's non-dual-channel wireless connection on his system is topping out at 2.5... gonna have to call tech support sometime tomorrow and figure out what's going on.

Lastly, Windows 8, so far, hasn't been THAT bad. I've managed to spend 99% of my time away from the Metro interface, which is easy when you use desktop icons. There are some weird things, like only being able to access the control panel while on the desktop, or how IE has both a desktop mode and a Metro mode. I was indeed able to get rid of all of those app icons too, so my Start screen Is basically the Desktop button and then anything else I want on there. :D

The thing boots up a heck of a lot faster than my XP system for sure.

Once I'm done with this message, I'm gonna go load up Minecraft for a first test, then maybe load up Skyrim and see how well that works. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 9, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only just got around to testing Minecraft now, with OptiFine modded in as well.

Constant 60 FPS with "Far" draw distance, even in massively complex areas like jungles. X3

...and I was only burning 25% CPU power the whole while...

I don't have any system monitors installed yet so I'm not sure how hot everything's getting under load, but I do know that, even with stock cooling, given that the PSU is completely isolated from the case internals, and there's two massive 200 mm fans (running surprisingly low RPMs), the idle temperature is 40c-ish according to the BIOS, give or take 1c depending. I also wasn't happy that the thing was auto-overclocking everything by default. I had to go into the BIOS and scour the settings to figure out why it was doing that, and tell it not to.

Oddly though, it's only detecting the RAM as 1600 MHz, not 1866, even though when I bring up the profile settings for the RAM, there's an 1866 XMP setting. I did a little research to realize what was going on here, so I guess I'll leave it at 1600 for now. System seems pretty fast even at that setting. ;)

I also find the mouse VERY comfortable, despite how odd it looks. Just hope the scroll-wheel thing is an easy fix and not going to require an RMA or anything... :/

One thing I'm kinda not liking though is the way the PSU fan works. It's designed to spin down to zero RPM if heat's low enough, but when it detects heat and needs to spin up, it briefly spins up to MAXIMUM RPM, (and is pretty loud, 40 dB if the box is to be believed), then slows down as it figures out how fast it really needs to be going... eventually stopping again and doing that same thing all over again. I'd much more rather it stayed at a comfortable level and only span up incrementally as heat increased, but I don't think there's much I could do to alter that behaviour...? *shrugs*

As for adding an SSD, I'm still not seeing the need. Once I see the Windows 8 logo on screen on bootup, I'm able to do anything I want after just 20 to 30 seconds. From there, everything loads pretty fast as it is. True, there's HD grinding for nearly several minutes after a reboot, but it doesn't seem to slow anything down. Compared to my XP system where HD grinding after a reboot brought everything to a standstill, that's a MASSIVE improvement. :o

And yeah... it'll be neat to see how well DOSBox stuff runs on here. I still haven't transfered anything over from my other system since I only have the one screen really right now. I have the old CRT for my Win 98 system still, but I'd rather just get a really cheap 1920x1080 screen for the XP system now, that way I can use both systems at the same time, for if I have friends over or whatnot.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 4 of 9, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are the specs?

I might invest in another SSD soon seeing as the prices are getting lower and they should last a bit longer now. I've had an SSD drive from OCZ and Corsair and both were crap (fast, but failed too quickly for my liking considering how much they cost!). It seems Samsung and Intel are highly rated for their SSD drives these days.

Reply 6 of 9, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PowerPie5000 wrote:

What are the specs?

After lots of advice from everyone here and on another forum, I went with this setup:

CASE: ThermalTake VN700M1W2N Full-Tower Gaming Case
PSU: Corsair GS700 700W
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4 GHz 8-Core
RAM: Kingston Hyper X Beast 16GB 1866 MHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX660 2GB GDDR5
HD: WD Black 1 TB
BLU-RAY WRITER: Asus BW-12B1ST 12x
WIFI: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Wireless-N Adapter
MOUSE: Azio Corp Levetron GM533U Gaming Mouse

I also brought my 23" Samsung LCD monitor and Logitech G110 gaming keyboard over from my previous system. I can replace the keyboard on it with the one it originally had, but I need to pick up a cheap 1920x1080 screen for it at some point. Once I do that though, both systems will be simultaneously operational. :)

I've yet to seriously tax this thing though. People were warning me that having 8 cores might decrease single-threaded performance, but even single thread performance on this thing is at least three times faster than on my previous system. :3

Ran into issues with Dad's internet only going 2.5 Mbps. Called the ISP, turned out to be a stupid mistake on their end, and in minutes got bumped up to 6 Mbps, where it was supposed to be at. So now my games on Steam are downloading properly. Still gonna be awhile before I can test anything truly demanding though.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 8 of 9, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

there's HD grinding for nearly several minutes after a reboot

This nicely sums up how fast win8 really boots ;)

Maybe... except that programs do load really quickly during this grinding period and function properly as well. Even background tasks like anti-virus and firewall programs are up and going well before this grinding is done.

Makes me wonder what exactly Windows 8 is doing during that whole period since everything is accessible and there's no delays caused by it. *shrugs*

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 9 of 9, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

After lots of advice from everyone here and on another forum, I went with this setup:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4 GHz 8-Core

not good enough advices it looks 😉
http://pctuning.tyden.cz/hardware/procesory-p … sktopu?start=13

anyway can you make a test from here
Suggested specs for a full speed DOSbox machine?
to confirm ?