VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well what I thought would be 2 old PC's turned out to be just two broken CRT monitors. The one Nokia monitor turns on, but snaps if you leave it on. They both were wet. Can I fix this somehow? Probably not, but whatever.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 2 of 14, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I heard if you touch the thing inside it could kill you. I guess I'll let it dry and if it doesn't work, it's off to the dump with them.

Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 5 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you do not know how to deal with the high voltage, you are probably not capable of fixing the monitors on your own. Too many thrift stores around with ancient CRTs to pay to get them fixed.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 14, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe stick 'em near a dehumidifier for a good chunk of time? *shrugs*

But yeah, don't screw with high-voltage stuff if you don't intrinsically know what you're doing. CRTs are the second-most dangerous consumer-grade electronic device to work on, followed only by microwave ovens. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 9 of 14, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd agree with dumping them. You'd probably be better off going to the nearest thrift store/Goodwill and buying one instead of trying to fix those broken CRTs.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 11 of 14, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well... none for wet soggy CRT that are so easily replaced by better. Nope, none.

I ought to add that if he's just 'south of Buffalo' then he's just entering real-snow-country Winter -- it's not going to be good drying weather where he is for several months. Sometimes it's best to punt. This is that time.

Reply 12 of 14, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Goodwill and Best Buy take them for free: no questions asked. 😀

Vintage computer stuff is very common upstate so you can pick up lots for cheap anyway so why bother with drying / repairing and so on.

Reply 14 of 14, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, i just dumped em both today, but i got a packard bell in its place!