VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 60 of 547, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apple cooling system didn't help much. It was just a heatsink with pencil carbon acting as the thermal paste and one chassis fan blowing over it at a distance on most of their desktops. I had to attach 2 small fans on the heatsink of my G4 ZIF and add Arctic Silver 5/OCZ Freeze to reach a stable 50MHz overclocking step-up.

Reply 61 of 547, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-17, 08:42:

The iPad Pro cpu A12 is pretty powerful . Faster than an intel quad core i5.

As usual your posts lack detail. What generation i5?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 62 of 547, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-19, 02:05:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-17, 08:42:

The iPad Pro cpu A12 is pretty powerful . Faster than an intel quad core i5.

As usual your posts lack detail. What generation i5?

And what exact benchmark?

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 63 of 547, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WWDC20 is today.
I can’t wait.

Set your YouTube reminder for 10am.

I am very curious about the NEW redesign iMac and ARM CPU’s.

Attachments

Reply 66 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-22, 10:50:
Let the CPU wars begin. It’s like the 1990’s all over again. […]
Show full quote

Let the CPU wars begin.
It’s like the 1990’s all over again.

Intel, AMD, ARM, etc....
Apple, Microsoft, Linux.

The more the merrier.

Have you even lived in the 90s? This is the dumbest thing I heard today.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 68 of 547, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-06-22, 11:07:

I remember seeing some benchmarks where Apple A13 was about the same as i9-9900K (non-0verclocked) in SPECint2006 and about 20% slower in SPECfp2006. Single core scores, I mean.

I will try to find the link.

People laugh but that iPad is the BIGGEST threat to the desktop and laptop market.
I saw it coming a mile away.

Reply 69 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-22, 11:16:
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-06-22, 11:07:

I remember seeing some benchmarks where Apple A13 was about the same as i9-9900K (non-0verclocked) in SPECint2006 and about 20% slower in SPECfp2006. Single core scores, I mean.

I will try to find the link.

People laugh but that iPad is the BIGGEST threat to the desktop and laptop market.

You just outdid yourself.

Reply 70 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Can you please tone it down? It's close to personal attacks and that is really not needed here.
If you disagree, say so. But paasive aggressive one-liners... please no

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 71 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The tablet market has been shrinking for several years, this year is likely to continue this trend. The iPad is doing relatively well (although not nearly as well as 8 years ago), but Android tablets are pretty much dead in the water.

Reply 72 of 547, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Problem with Microsoft tablet is it’s Graphical user interface ( GUI ).
It’s just cumbersome and Awkward to use compared to the iPad.
You really need to use a stylus in order to use the Microsoft tablet. It just isn’t designed to be used with your fingers.

The iPad is inexpensive. You cant build a computer with the same specs of the iPad for less.
The iPad has a high end Retina display and a built in UPS ( Battery ).
Auto backup of all your stuff to the Cloud and integrates perfectly with other Apple devices.
It’s the entire easy of integration between Apple devices that makes it so desirable.

I think the iPad is the Best computer Apple makes for too many reasons and it is Apples least expensive computer.
It’s the perfect size for a mobile computer at 9.7 inches.
It would help if it was a little lighter in weight.

Reply 73 of 547, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Considering that the iPad has been around for 10 years, it is being awfully slow finishing that last mile...

ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-06-17, 10:53:

Something like a mobile Core i5 has the nominal TDP of 15 W but it will consume and dissipate 50+ W when in all-core turbo.

Is that actually true and documented? I find it very hard to believe that such a huge and crucial difference between advertised and actual specs could slip without a class-action lawsuit somewhere.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 74 of 547, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-06-22, 13:27:
The Problem with Microsoft tablet is it’s Graphical user interface ( GUI ). It’s just cumbersome and Awkward to use compared to […]
Show full quote

The Problem with Microsoft tablet is it’s Graphical user interface ( GUI ).
It’s just cumbersome and Awkward to use compared to the iPad.
You really need to use a stylus in order to use the Microsoft tablet. It just isn’t designed to be used with your fingers.

The iPad is inexpensive. You cant build a computer with the same specs of the iPad for less.
The iPad has a high end Retina display and a built in UPS ( Battery ).
Auto backup of all your stuff to the Cloud and integrates perfectly with other Apple devices.
It’s the entire easy of integration between Apple devices that makes it so desirable.

I think the iPad is the Best computer Apple makes for too many reasons and it is Apples least expensive computer.
It’s the perfect size for a mobile computer at 9.7 inches.
It would help if it was a little lighter in weight.

Is there any android tablet that's comparable? To me the ipad's price still is kinda steep.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 75 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-06-22, 13:39:
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-06-17, 10:53:

Something like a mobile Core i5 has the nominal TDP of 15 W but it will consume and dissipate 50+ W when in all-core turbo.

Is that actually true and documented? I find it very hard to believe that such a huge and crucial difference between advertised and actual specs could slip without a class-action lawsuit somewhere.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13544/why-inte … ected-tdp-turbo

Reply 76 of 547, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thankfully nobody gives a shit about Mobile i5s now that Mobile Ryzen 4000 is here.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2020-06-22, 20:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 77 of 547, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-06-22, 14:02:

Thanks, I actually found and read this exact article 30 minutes ago. 😀

It doesn't mention anything specific about Mobile processors (and I couldn't find PL1, PL2 or Tau values for any Mobile Core i5); it does say however that the OEMs have the ability to set any of these values in firmware, and the recommendation is to set it according to the heat-dissipation of the design. It would seem prudent that anyone who designs a super-thin system with limited cooling would set PL1=PL2=TDP (or set PL2 just a tad higher and limit Tau to small values), and then you will not need to dissipate more heat than the TDP. However, you may lose in benchmarks to your competitors.

In any case, it would be better if Intel followed the advice set in that write-up in regards to publishing their numbers:

TDP (Peak) for PL2
TDP (Sustained) for PL1

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 79 of 547, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote on 2020-06-22, 11:19:

Can you please tone it down? It's close to personal attacks and that is really not needed here.
If you disagree, say so. But paasive aggressive one-liners... please no

[offtopic]
I think it's about time to start avoiding bold, provoking, factless statements rather than the answers to them. I'm not going any further with this of course, just had to say it once because it's been bothering me lately.
[/offtopic]