VOGONS

Common searches

Apple is getting off Intel CPU’s ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 41 of 547, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2020-04-25, 15:03:

Ohhh.... They are sweet machines. And they run Linux too. Switching to an ARM workstation, running Linux is very much apealing to me. As long as I can avoid cloud computing.

EDIT....
From 2018, still want this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buIE0tA_IyM

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 43 of 547, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote on 2020-04-24, 10:54:

If they move to ARM and stuff works, who freaking cares.
Especially Apple users/fanboys, as most of them only care for what is on the screen and what name it has.

Now quit complaining, unless it does not work.

let them switch, why not ?
their system is anyway not compatible from version to version.
Each upgrade breaks something.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 44 of 547, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not a long time user of Apple products. I had iBook G4 from 2003-2006, MacBook Pro from 2006-2009, and a Hackintosh from 2010 to present. So, I kind of missed out on some of their classic systems like the Apple ][, 68k and PPC macs. But, from my limited experience I feel that switching to Intel made their desktop PCs somewhat less interesting. Plus it was then easier to make direct hardware comparisons and see how badly you were being milked. I hope ARM brings something new to the table, but I think it might be too late if they were hoping to bring consumers back into the fold. A lot of normies now solely use their phones to conduct their business. Desktop PCs as a whole seem to be on the decline. Even traditional laptops don't seem all that common anymore.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 46 of 547, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote on 2020-06-17, 07:07:
let them switch, why not ? their system is anyway not compatible from version to version. Each upgrade breaks something. […]
Show full quote

Especially Apple users/fanboys, as most of them only care for what is on the screen and what name it has.

Exactly. If anyone know the pain of switching, it must be Apple people. And they do not really complain, after a year or so. I remember when they switched from m68k to PPC and then again when they switched from PPC to x86. Apple always provided some kind of software layer, to combat incompatibility to a certain degree. Because of that, Apple might be the number one experts on hardware architecture switch. The thing is. People who complain the most, are in reality non-apple centrists (Windows users and so on), that are not really planning to use Apple products anyway. Rosetta Stone layer, did work well enough, for developers to have time to eigter recompile their code or write the next version to a new architecture.

If it can be done on ARM in the future, then we will see colder running hardware and power saving in the end. That is way better for the earth.

EDIT:
Perhaps it would be wise for Apple, to offer both x86 and ARM versions of the newest incarnation of their products, for a short period of time. Like two versions of the same MacBook and so forth. And on the same time, they have a software compatibility layer like Rosetta Stone, for people who need to run older software for a short period of time, before they have enough money for a new version. That way Apple will give people more time to switch.

Reply 48 of 547, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote on 2020-06-17, 08:37:
let them switch, why not ? their system is anyway not compatible from version to version. Each upgrade breaks something. […]
Show full quote

Exactly. If anyone know the pain of switching, it must be Apple people. And they do not really complain, after a year or so. I remember when they switched from m68k to PPC and then again when they switched from PPC to x86. Apple always provided some kind of software layer, to combat incompatibility to a certain degree. Because of that, Apple might be the number one experts on hardware architecture switch. The thing is. People who complain the most, are in reality non-apple centrists (Windows users and so on), that are not really planning to use Apple products anyway. Rosetta Stone layer, did work well enough, for developers to have time to eigter recompile their code or write the next version to a new architecture.

If it can be done on ARM in the future, then we will see colder running hardware and power saving in the end. That is way better for the earth.

I am not a fan of Apple in general, but moving to ARM would make sense for them and likely their users. Maybe we'll stop hearing about overheating/throttling high-end MACs . The environmental aspect is a significant one as well, not to mention the cost of electricity.

Reply 49 of 547, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-06-17, 08:46:

I am not a fan of Apple in general, but moving to ARM would make sense for them and likely their users. Maybe we'll stop hearing about overheating/throttling high-end MACs . The environmental aspect is a significant one as well, not to mention the cost of electricity.

Yeah... Who does not remember first gen Socket-775 Pentium4's? The box/stock cooler that Intel provided in the box, was horrible. They added a copper core later on, however the first 6 to 12 months is a painfull memory. On that, I feel sad for Apple users. Something at a premium price, that you makes a noisy work environment. Dang. 🙁

Reply 50 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-06-17, 08:46:

Maybe we'll stop hearing about overheating/throttling high-end MACs . The environmental aspect is a significant one as well, not to mention the cost of electricity.

Honestly, it's not Apple's problem, it's Intel's problem. Something like a mobile Core i5 has the nominal TDP of 15 W but it will consume and dissipate 50+ W when in all-core turbo. If you go to r/ThinkPad, you will see a lot of whining about overheating/throttling etc simply because it's impossible to effectively dissipate 50+ W in a laptop which is just 14mm thick.

Reply 51 of 547, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Am I the only one who hates the turbo boost/core "feature"? It just seems like a convenient way for AMD and Intel to obscure the true thermal characteristics of their crappy CPUs.
Sometimes I feel like my systems are going to burst into flames if they run turbo mode too long.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 52 of 547, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-06-17, 14:01:

Am I the only one who hates the turbo boost/core "feature"? It just seems like a convenient way for AMD and Intel to obscure the true thermal characteristics of their crappy CPUs.
Sometimes I feel like my systems are going to burst into flames if they run turbo mode too long.

After 40 odd years of continuous evolution, cracks are really starting to show in x86's armor . Backward compatibility is generally a good thing, but maybe it has helped to create a monster this time .

I wonder how much overhead is due to this compatibility requirement .

Reply 53 of 547, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless I am compiling stuff, I keep Turbo Boost permanently disabled on my computers.

Reply 54 of 547, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-06-17, 15:03:

After 40 odd years of continuous evolution, cracks are really starting to show in x86's armor . Backward compatibility is generally a good thing, but maybe it has helped to create a monster this time .

I wonder how much overhead is due to this compatibility requirement .

It's astonishing, though, that it has lasted that long. I consider x86 a long time experiment.
In some way or another, it's a bit akin to technology's counterpart to evolution of mankind.

Ironically, x86 has lived so long because it never gave up on its roots (never denied its heritage).
Some wise man said, that you need to know your past in order to find your destiny/find your future..

If that's true, then x86 is on a good way. ARM on the other hand, while ancient too, never held true to its principles in the same way.
Current generations are just as messy, and proprietary, too.

RISC-V or another open architecture would make more sense, I think.
There's a reason Raspberry Pi people consider at least supporting at some point.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1412361

By the way, the core x86 instruction set (i386) is very simple and should not take up much silicon in modern x86 CPUs.
It was implemented in an "emulation" type of form multiple times, also. Transmeta Crusoe, Nexgen NX586, Intel Itanium..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 55 of 547, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brownk wrote on 2020-04-24, 10:31:

Btw, when I switched back to linux, the first things that hit me were how fucking gorgeous and unbinding its console was, and how equally flimsy its GUI system still was. Oh, God...

That's what I noticed when I first started using Linux for work. Simple features in the GUI are very flimsy, lacking features that were present two decades ago in Windows 3.x. The goddamn mouse driver with precision and "is this button pressed or not?" issues is my pet peeve; it really sucks - and whoever thought that a mouse driver should only have adjustable acceleration and not adjustable speed should be shot... (and don't get me started about the "If you don't like it, you can change it because it's Open Source"-bullshit - as a regular user I should not need to be a developer to get basic features in an OS right).

Exactly. If anyone know the pain of switching, it must be Apple people. And they do not really complain, after a year or so. I remember when they switched from m68k to PPC and then again when they switched from PPC to x86. Apple always provided some kind of software layer, to combat incompatibility to a certain degree.

Yeah, but where the compatibility layer for 68k lasted 15 years (the last PPC Macs can still run software from 1990 in Mac OS X via Classic), the compatibility layers for PPC Macs lasted only through OS X 10.5's subversions.

And given that modern Macs unfortunately have become the stereotype of Macs in the PPC era (overly expensive with too much focus on design and too few features, bad support - which was untrue in the PPC era, but unfortunately not now), I completely expect Apple to simply slam the door to users of Intel Macs rather quickly.

Reply 57 of 547, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

PPC compatibility was available for 10.6, too.
So Apple supported it from 2006-2011. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software)
and from what the rumors tell us, Apple won't switch this year. This year only a MacBook "will" arrive with ARM (but rumors, we will know more soon).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 58 of 547, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2020-06-18, 20:54:

Wasn't overheating the reason Apple originally switched away from PPC? History would be repeating.

One way to put it. The PPC was at it's highest clock frequency, performance/speed/heat-wise. It did not deliver enough, when going faster, compared to x86.

Reply 59 of 547, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2020-06-18, 21:19:
Errius wrote on 2020-06-18, 20:54:

Wasn't overheating the reason Apple originally switched away from PPC? History would be repeating.

One way to put it. The PPC was at it's highest clock frequency, performance/speed/heat-wise. It did not deliver enough, when going faster, compared to x86.

PPC from that era also seems to just run hot no matter what you do. Even the Slim versions of the PS3/360 end up in the upper 60s if not lower 70s regularly.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png