VOGONS

Common searches

iPad Windows Alternative ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 100 of 109, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-16, 14:14:

@Caluser2000: Good luck using third party non-certified car parts in your car. It will be fully your fault if the car decides to stop in the middle of a road, not BMW or Mercedes fault. However I do agree that if a computer fails while in the warranty period, it has to be serviced or replaced free of charge by Apple. I never let third parties to mess with my Macs, only authorized Apple assistances.

Have done for years, over 40 in fact. Same with all the motorcycles I have owned over that time. 🤣 I can buy a whole host of non OEM parts for my 1976 Honda CB550F Super Sports motorcyce from the US and have them here in a week. Even with this Covid 19 thing going on. I'v e bought parts from Amazon for it. Just recently I bought LED light bulbs for it to replace the helogen bulb that that is in the 7" headlight assembly that replaced the original sealed beam headlight assembly the m/c was sold with in 1976.

A bit of history about the old girl and some pics https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-small-so … -350cc.1465241/

Did a 360km ride last Sunday and she never missed a beat. Starts first press of the starter button and is still on points ignition.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 101 of 109, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah yes this thread.

The smugness on both sides of the conflict are endlessly amusing. Keep up the good work. You know who you are. 😉

I will say this: A Dell XPS laptop issued to me by my employer in 2017 has developed quirks in the trackpad and keyboard. My girlfriend's 2018 Acer laptop has developed intermittent WiFi. These are not old computers. My 2011 Macbook Pro still runs and .... er... inputs (?) near perfectly, with reduced battery life being the only real sign of its age. It's nearly 10 years old.

The Macbook 2011 was bought on a whim during a holiday to the USA, when the Australian dollar was quite strong, so the 13" MBP presented an incredible value proposition. Not just on the hardware itself, but the included iMovie software, which I used to begin my content creation adventure. In those days, I'd have been looking at paying money for video editing software on a Windows PC, whereas for the price of "free", iMovie is incredibly capable, leagues ahead of Windows Movie Maker of the time.

I'm no fanboy, but the value proposition couldn't be beaten then, and is definitely still there today.

Horses for courses, guys. Just because you always need to shell out to git clone* and containerise your nodes* on a second's notice, doesn't mean there is no place for devices that only serve a few needs in somebody's non-computer-focused life.

* 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 102 of 109, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You could replace the battery 😉
(I think on a 2011 one that is fairly easy)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 103 of 109, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It bothers me, that besides Apple, no other manufacturer seems to make a 4:3 tablets anymore. The problem I've had is that OneDrive functionality isn't as seamless (obviously) on an iPad as it is with Windows/Android. Also transferring files to apps in the iPad doesn't seem to be as well implemented as it could be, you are almost forced to use iTunes and iCloud for simplest of tasks. The last one for me is the total lack of support for WebM. I'm sure many of these are because of the security, but I've always wanted to try everything I possibly can with a device and not let the manufacturer dictate what I can or can't do. So now I'm stuck with an iPad because it has the perfect screen format for reading, but many other things makes me yearn for my old Mi Pad 2.

Reply 105 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote on 2020-11-17, 12:09:

Also transferring files to apps in the iPad doesn't seem to be as well implemented as it could be, you are almost forced to use iTunes and iCloud for simplest of tasks.

I use AirDrop to transfer files between my iPad, Mac and iPhone. No cables, no iTunes, no iCloud. I have OneDrive too working flawlessly. iCloud Drive is disabled in favor of OneDrive because I have a free 1TB account on OneDrive otherwise I’d have paid fot more storage on iCloud.

As for WebM. It’s not totally Apples fault. Browser war and their companies don’t want to make an agreement about a common web video standard since decades ago, so each company supports their preferred video standard. Blame it on them not just Apple.

I enabled experimental VP9 support in Safari although I only work with MP4 and h.265

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 106 of 109, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Caluser2000: Good luck using third party non-certified car parts in your car. It will be fully your fault if the car decides to stop in the middle of a road, not BMW or Mercedes fault. However I do agree that if a computer fails while in the warranty period, it has to be serviced or replaced free of charge by Apple. I never let third parties to mess with my Macs, only authorized Apple assistances.

Hmmm... Not sure if serious. The only time I use dealer parts on my vehicles is when 3rd party parts are not available or when the price difference is not a factor. To top it off, the warranty on most 3rd party parts is exponentially longer for 3rd party parts.

This is coming from someone who started working on cars with my Dad when I was around 8. By the time I was 12, I was helping do stuff such as replacing major engine parts, rebuilding transmissions, etc.

Rebuilt my first motorcycle engine when I was 14... By myself.

When I got my first car, I had to rebuild the engine.

Have easily over 500k miles on vehicles I have maintained with 3rd party parts over the years.

So don't go spreading the misinformation that 3rd party parts are somehow inferior to dealer parts...

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 107 of 109, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-17, 16:12:
Hmmm... Not sure if serious. The only time I use dealer parts on my vehicles is when 3rd party parts are not available or when t […]
Show full quote

Hmmm... Not sure if serious. The only time I use dealer parts on my vehicles is when 3rd party parts are not available or when the price difference is not a factor. To top it off, the warranty on most 3rd party parts is exponentially longer for 3rd party parts.

This is coming from someone who started working on cars with my Dad when I was around 8. By the time I was 12, I was helping do stuff such as replacing major engine parts, rebuilding transmissions, etc.

Rebuilt my first motorcycle engine when I was 14... By myself.

When I got my first car, I had to rebuild the engine.

Have easily over 500k miles on vehicles I have maintained with 3rd party parts over the years.

So don't go spreading the misinformation that 3rd party parts are somehow inferior to dealer parts...

Exactly. The new replacement Lcd panel I'm geting from Australia for the Compaq CQ62 I was given has a 3 year warrenty.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 108 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that’s not misinformation, third party parts are inferior. most of them come from China, in bad quality.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 109 of 109, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Closed.

These forums aren't for this. Go elsewhere for this kind of idiocy.

Everyone has different wants, needs and perspectives
Use what you like even if you are "wrong", just don't spread it

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline