VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's official, Widodo's administration, through the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology (also known as KOMINFO), has blocked Steam. I have confirmed it myself.

Widodo-s-government-blocks-Steam-THUMBNAIL.jpg
Negative content that violates Indonesian law?

Websites like Steam are blocked because they haven't registered for a new set of licensing rules. Problem is, according to the new rules, government authorities can force platforms to disclose certain user data and take down content deemed unlawful or "disturbs public order". "Disturbs public order" is a vague definision, making the new rules vague law. In developed countries, vague laws are unenforceable due to vagueness doctrine. But in third world countries --mine included-- vague laws are tools for the authority to supress dissent.

At first, the rules targeted social media platform like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. It doesn't surprise me, since most dissents against the government come from social media platforms. For example, during 2019 Presidential election, the government took an oppressive approach on the people who protested against alleged electoral fraud, and it was social media users who protested against such heavy-handedness, as welll as broadcasting videos of related incidents (mainstream media version like this one is heavily censored though). Nonetheless, Facebook and Instagram eventually yielded to the new rules, and registered accordingly.

Me, I'm generally apolitical, an introvert who lives in my own world of retro computer games, sci-fi, superhero comics, and audio gears. But now the administration starts blocking PayPal for not registering with the new rules, then it starts affecting me directly.

So, the question is, what is the safest VPN for PayPal?

I've been using the free version of Turbo VPN since 2019, especially since WhatsApp and many other social media platforms were mysteriously inaccessible during the later part of the protest against the alleged electoral fraud (no, I don't have Facebook, Twitter, nor Instagram, but I always need WhatsApp to communicate with clients and employees). However, I have never used VPN for services that require username, password, and credit card number. I'm quite concerned about shady VPN services who intercept my login data and sell it to hackers.

What is the safest VPN for payment services like PayPal? What would you recommend?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 7, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Proton VPN has a reputation of a safe and reliable service. Just like it's other product - Proton mail. But I havent's tried it myself.
I have Psiphon installed on my smartphone, and I'm happy with it. Yet, haven's used it with any banking or payment application as I had no need for that.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 3 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bondi wrote on 2022-08-01, 16:08:

Proton VPN has a reputation of a safe and reliable service. Just like it's other product - Proton mail. But I havent's tried it myself.
I have Psiphon installed on my smartphone, and I'm happy with it. Yet, haven's used it with any banking or payment application as I had no need for that.

Thank you.

The free version has a strict no-logs policy, which is just what I need. The paid version is also interesting, though I hope they allow consumers to pay with anything other than PayPal.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 4 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-08-01, 16:12:

I think you can just you use proxy for Steam.

I don't even have a Steam account --not interested in DRM. What concerns me is the blocking of Yahoo and PayPal. My primary email is still a Yahoo mail account, since it has 1 TB of space. However, at worst I can easily use VPN for Yahoo Mail. However, for something like PayPal, I'm quite concerned.

Reply 6 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your Paypal account is linked to a credit card or bank account registered in your country, won't that eventually be an issue as well, from either a functional (if financial institutions are forbidden to interact with Paypal) or a legal one for you ( if "circumventing" the law in the way you suggest exposes you to some kind of liability) ?

Reply 7 of 7, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That sucks, man. Politicians making decisions that make life for ordinary people less fun. 😕

I know some people here might roll their eyes when I mention Bitcoin and crypto, but censorship and complete government control over digital payments are exactly the problems that decentralized cryptocurrencies were intended to solve.

I know this still wouldn't be a direct solution for ordering services and goods from sites that currently don't accept cryptocurrencies, but you have friends here on Vogons, some of whom you probably have built a good level of trust with over the years. 🙂 Maybe you could arrange with some of them to accept crypto from you, order something with Paypal for you, and then have it shipped to you.

As for VPN providers, some of them accept Bitcoin as payment.

To be clear, I'm not well-versed with the legalities of cryptocurrencies in Indonesia, and the responsibilities and risks of using them (not just the legal aspects, but also price volatility and such) are yours to bear alone.

I'm not advising you to break any laws or anything. I'm just saying that strictly from a technical point of view, this would be a realistic option.

Oh, some other advice: install Signal on your phone. Yes, WhatsApp claims to be end-to-end encrypted, but ultimately it's controlled by Meta/Facebook, and the WhatsApp source code, unlike Signal's, is closed-source, make WhatsApp difficult if not impossible for independent parties to audit for backdoors and such. You don't have to choose between the two services. You can have both installed on your phone. But Signal is good to have on hand as a backup, especially if you can convince others to install it beside (or in place of) WhatsApp as well.

Good luck, and take care.