VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone.

It has begun, it seems. There will be graphics cards that don't support older D3D anymore (natively).

A wrapper must be used, so that a newer (supported) Direct3D API can be used with DirectX 1-9 titles.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xe-ar … o-dx9-emulation

Until now, Windows 8-11 could support multiple DirectX runtime versions in parallel (DirectX 9, 10/11, 12?).
Applications/games could use them as needed and depending on what DDI version the GPU driver supported natively.
Running a DX9 game via DX10+ runtime wasn't completely unheard of, depending on how the game was coded.

Anyway, it's no big deal likely. To us, I mean.
Full PC emulators running Win98/XP do a better job sometimes than today's Windows.

Except.. Well, if someone has special needs. Say, running a multi-monitor setup for an older flight simulator. Or uses 4k/8k resolution. Things like this.

In that situation, the wrapper works well enough hopefully.
I mean OpemGL to Direct3D wrappers did an okay job in the XP/Vista era.

And software emulation can be okay, sometimes, too.
OpenGL 1.0-1.2 was done in software on old OSes by default. Windows NT 4, Windows 98SE..

Edit: Correction. NT 3.5=OpenGL 1. 0, NT 4.0= OpenGL 1.1, 98SE=?
https://retro.swarm.cz/nt4-opengl-mini-client … ti-rage-ii-pro/

Best regards,
Jo22

Edited. X2.

Edit: I just noticed that Dosfreak created a similar thread just a few hours before. My bad.
This one here can be closed soon, thus, if needed.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2022-08-16, 00:37. Edited 2 times in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 13, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-08-15, 22:43:
Hi everyone. […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone.

It has begun, it seems. There will be graphics cards that don't support older D3D anymore (natively).

A wrapper must be used, so that a newer (supported) Direct3D API can be used with DirectX 1-9 titles.

Until now, Windows 8-11 could support multiple DirectX runtime versions in parallel (DirectX 9, 10/11, 12?).
Applications/games could use them as needed and depending on what DDI version the GPU driver supported natively.
Running a DX9 game via DX10+ runtime wasn't completely unheard of, depending on how the game was coded.

Full PC emulators running Win98/XP do a better job sometimes than today's Windows.

Except.. Well, if someone has special needs. Say, running a multi-monitor setup for an older flight simulator. Or uses 4k/8k resolution. Things like this.

OpenGL 1.0-1.2 was done in software on old OSes by default. Windows NT 4, Windows 98SE..

Best regards,
Jo22

Edited. X2.

With dgvoodoo2 as Wrapper we have a rly good one so iam not worried to much.

Reply 2 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-08-15, 23:53:
Jo22 wrote on 2022-08-15, 22:43:
Hi everyone. […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone.

Best regards,
Jo22

Edited. X2.

Thanks you for the tip! 😃👍

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-08-15, 23:53:

I forgot to mention.. In the past, early 2010, I used to use DXGL on Windows XP/Vista/7.
It was a wrapper, too, but translated to OpenGL instead of Direct 3D 10/11.
https://dxgl.org/

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 13, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intel is bringing back DX9 support for some games, mostly popular FPS, by implementing DX9 in the latest drivers. I say some games, because the driver only recognizes a few at this time. A more comprehensive, general DX9 implementation will likely come in the future, allowing many more games to get the full power of ARC GPUs.

Reply 5 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-12-08, 02:56:

Intel is bringing back DX9 support for some games, mostly popular FPS, by implementing DX9 in the latest drivers. I say some games, because the driver only recognizes a few at this time. A more comprehensive, general DX9 implementation will likely come in the future, allowing many more games to get the full power of ARC GPUs.

Is there a reason why your post sounds like an advertisement?
Heard they are using DXVK but rumour is they aren't giving them any credit but people poked through some files and noticed that's what they are using.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 13, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When people say they dropped DX9 support,I don't see the information complete, what about the older DX?

Do you see DirectDraw acceleration Disabled when you open dxdiag.exe? What is there under DirectDraw devices in DxCapsViewer? Months have passed but these information haven't been filled in. Probably every purchaser out there is a modern day gamer.

Are they using WARP? Did they throw DDrawCompat or WineD3D into the files like DXVK? Is old OpenGL 1.0 still working?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 7 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When people say they dropped DX9 support,I don't see the information complete, what about the older DX?

If it's DXVK they using, all older DX versions are included into DX9 wrapper. Probably very broken anyway and low priority. They fix it on per game basis, i.e. something that is popular and played to this day.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 13, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-12-08, 04:53:

If it's DXVK they using, all older DX versions are included into DX9 wrapper. Probably very broken anyway and low priority. They fix it on per game basis, i.e. something that is popular and played to this day.

DXVK doesn't handle anything for things older than D3D9. I tested this on a VM, I renamed d3d9.dll, d3d11.dll and dxgi.dll and ran games that need DX5 to DX7. The only thing I needed to restore was dxgi.dll, and it was expected. All games worked fine without any issue, regardless of having DXVK in a folder or not.

Reply 9 of 13, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DXVK is present in the driver files, but the latest DxCaps info says Intel instead reused driver code from the Intel HD Graphics GPU drivers to implement DX9 API functionality. Several DXVK devs work for Intel, so it's inclusion in the driver is not surprising and it may be there to simply cover the DX9 bases, from a driver feature development standpoint.

Reply 10 of 13, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-12-08, 06:16:

Is old OpenGL 1.0 still working?

OpenGL doesn't work like D3D. In OpenGL, each ICD (including the shader compiler and T&L routines) is done entirely by the hardware vendor and driver updates can affect it directly. In D3D, vendors only provide the DDI and the DX libraries takes care of the rest.

Intel clearly dropped support for DDI version 9 with their recent GPUs, no matter whether discrete or integrated. Dropping support for older OpenGL on an ICD requires forcing the core profile internally which lacks the "immediate mode" functions used on very old software.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 11 of 13, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-08, 15:04:

and driver updates can affect it directly.

So how is it now?

Reply 12 of 13, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-12-08, 17:28:
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-08, 15:04:

and driver updates can affect it directly.

So how is it now?

AFAIK, nVidia and AMD cards still has the legacy functions when using the compatibility profile (older programs use it by default) in OpenGL. Haven't checked if the recent Intel's OpenGL ICD still has that profile though.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 13 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Early OpenGL's all about extensions, it's a feature chimera. I have an "OpenGL 2" renderer using GLSL very much in the same codebase to go back to 1.1 for working on the very GLSL-lacking not-even-GL1.0-compliant PowerVR PCX2. Fragment shaders or not, it's all to the same opengl32.dll much like those Win95 OSR2 3d screensavers were. This differs from DirectX's many different Direct3D APIs.

apsosig.png
long live PCem