VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which 3D games would you like to see in high resolution?

Reply 2 of 40, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IMG20231112234727-1.jpg
Would love to see these in SVGA.

They don't even need to be textured. If they had clean hi-res polygons like those in Su-27 Flanker, Hornet 3.0, or A-10 Cuba!, then I would be a happy camper.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 40, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-11-12, 16:58:
https://i.postimg.cc/R0DFCBnF/IMG20231112234727-1.jpg Would love to see these in SVGA. […]
Show full quote

IMG20231112234727-1.jpg
Would love to see these in SVGA.

They don't even need to be textured. If they had clean hi-res polygons like those in Su-27 Flanker, Hornet 3.0, or A-10 Cuba!, then I would be a happy camper.

ah yes, good choices - thats what i think of as high resolution (not 'remasters' like was talked about in Remastering games, is it really worth it?)

in fact lots of 3d games might benefit from some svga magic, especially those where the 'thing' being looked at is drawn (not scaled sprites) and hence the pixel count matters more

there's a limit, or rather a decreasing return in quality from having ever more pixels, but at this level and for these kinds of games it could work well

i cant think of many more from that period that would really benefit from it though (i mean there are plenty of games that could look better but wouldn't really be any better)

Reply 4 of 40, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to see the original Tomb Raider games with Square Enix / Crystal Dynamics "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" graphics. Just give me the classic tomb raiding game style with the modern graphics. Cut out with the survival stupid fights/shooting.

Plus modern Lara is a beautiful woman.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 8 of 40, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
God Of Gaming wrote on 2023-11-16, 14:42:

Road&Track Presents: The Need For Speed Special Edition

Perfect

NFS Super Special Edition 🤣

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 10 of 40, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2023-11-17, 04:24:

Terra Nova Strike Force Centauri

Very much this!

I hoped that Night Dive would also do a remake of Terra Nova after they did System Shock.. so far nothing, sadly.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 11 of 40, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2023-11-12, 16:37:

Comanche: Maximum Overkill

God Of Gaming wrote on 2023-11-16, 14:42:

Road&Track Presents: The Need For Speed Special Edition

No! NIet! Nein!

Comanche: The sense of depth at low resolutions is awesome! It doesn't need more resolution!
NFS 1 / NFS SE: Maybe that's nostalgia for me. The graphics were astounding for that era, I think that it deserves to be preserved as-is.

Also, keep in mind that both games would lose their charm if upgraded. Comanche would lose that unique graphics; NFS wouldn't look as advanced as it was. In the end, both games would be simply another helicopter game and another racing game. Nothing unique about them.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 12 of 40, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote on 2023-11-17, 18:27:

NFS 1 / NFS SE: Maybe that's nostalgia for me. The graphics were astounding for that era, I think that it deserves to be preserved as-is.

Also, keep in mind that both games would lose their charm if upgraded. Comanche would lose that unique graphics; NFS wouldn't look as advanced as it was. In the end, both games would be simply another helicopter game and another racing game. Nothing unique about them.

Every single NFS game starting with NFS II can be played on a modern PC at high resolution now, with the exception of NFS 1 SE.... the console ports of it can be emulated at high res but they have less content, so its less than perfect.... the PC version can only be played at 480p emulated in dosbox... it needs like a source port or something, to work on modern windows and linux and support high resolutions... I dont know why you are against that, no one is taking the old version away from you and forcing you to install the high res update, you can always play the original if you like it as is

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 15 of 40, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote on 2023-11-17, 18:27:

Comanche: The sense of depth at low resolutions is awesome! It doesn't need more resolution!

I tend toward that feeling about just about everything TBH, even back in the noughts when you'd get 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and 1600x1200 options, things looked bad at 640, but it was there so low end could play at all. Then 800 and 1024 were both looking pretty good, and you'd maybe prefer 1024... but 1600x1200... nah, even at solid framerates it just tended to make the unrealism more unreal rather than make the realistic bit more realistic, a flaw amplifier, not a jewel polisher.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 16 of 40, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hezus wrote on 2023-11-17, 08:05:

I hoped that Night Dive would also do a remake of Terra Nova after they did System Shock.. so far nothing, sadly.

TN:SFC likely has to be rigorously reverse engineered before something like this could even happen. I don't think any actual source code for the game exists as far as I know Night Dive only found the source code for Macintosh port of System Shock.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 17 of 40, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote on 2023-11-18, 20:29:
Hezus wrote on 2023-11-17, 08:05:

TN:SFC likely has to be rigorously reverse engineered before something like this could even happen. I don't think any actual source code for the game exists as far as I know Night Dive only found the source code for Macintosh port of System Shock.

i mean dont they keep that stuff backed up somewhere, maybe at the insurance company who took over after Looking Glass failed...
they were owned by averstar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AverStar

https://web.archive.org/web/19991103003801/ht … nfo/merger.html
hmm one year later they merged is the day LGS closed

iami