VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2881 of 3949, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Dege,

I want to report four bugs regarding "Star Wars Racer 1 - Pod Racer".

1) Game crashes during startup if I do not have "Fast video memory access" enabled. When I check mark (enable) "Fast video memory access", the game starts and plays without any problems.
2) I am unable to replace game textures using Peixoto's AHK Injector. I am able to dump the textures but when I try to replace them they disappear.

3) Reshade3 is unable to access the depth buffer (z-buffer) through dgVoodoo. As a result, I am unable to apply Ambient Occlusion effects through Reshade3 since they need the depth buffer. Reshade3 is opensource and its source code is available on Github in case you want to check how it is trying to access the depth buffer.
4) There are double mouse cursors present in the game. One has the game mouse cursor icon and the other has the windows mouse cursor icon. Sometimes alt-tabbing out of the game and alt-tabbing back in fixes this double mouse cursor issue.

I am using dgVoodoo 2.53. I also tried dgVoodoo versions WIP28, 2.52, 2.51 and 2.50 but I experienced the same bugs on all of them. My system specs are the following: Laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Intel Core i7 CPU, NVIDIA Gefore GT 230M GPU.

Hi Peixoto,

I would appreciate if you can take a look at "Star Wars Racer 1 - Pod Racer" game and see if you can reproduce the texture replacement bug that I am experiencing. I don't know if this is a dgVoodoo or AHK Injector related bug.

Thanks for your help guys.

Edit: I added two more bugs. I also added WIP28 to the test list.

Reply 2882 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VicRattlehead wrote:

From what I understand, the DX wrapper already forces color depth to 32-bit, however I noticed that Slave Zero still runs with 16-bit color depth. It's known that the DX renderer of the game is limited to only 16-bit color, but I thought that dgVoodoo2 would have been able to work around that. And I know that the game does have 32-bit color textures because they appear as such with nGlide (dgVoodoo2's Glide wrapper fails to run the game!)

Well, dgVoodoo can run it. 😀
When I launched this game through Glide then it got into infinite loop.
Tracing down the cause showed that the 3dfx renderer of the game calculates that how many times 2MB the reported available texture memory is (+1). If it's not an odd number then the game gets into infinite loop when uploading textures (or sg like that). Cute, isn't it?
So, if you type 1MB or 5MB, or 9MB, 13MB and so on as 'memory size / TMU' on Glide tab in the dgv control panel then the game runs.
I can't see any difference between dgVoodoo and nGlide though. 16 bit textures in both cases, heavy banding is showing up on some of them.
I don't know when this game was released but Napalm version of Glide is needed (that is, at least a Voodoo4 as a hw) for 32 bit textures (Glide was traditionally pure 8/16 bit).

In DX mode 32bpp is available for me amongst the various resolutions. However I can't see differences compared to the Glide version. The same texture banding, so it's 16 bit again.
Forcing 32 bit rendering won't help if textures are just 16 bit.

VicRattlehead wrote:
I also noticed what appears to be some sort of LOD problem with certain games that seem to have some connection with the color d […]
Show full quote

I also noticed what appears to be some sort of LOD problem with certain games that seem to have some connection with the color depth. I first noticed this in Sacrifice. If the in-game color depth is set to 16-bit, graphical errors(?) like this appear:
16_bit_color_Sacrifice_exe_2017_01_13_17_03_58_2.jpg
This is much more noticeable in motion because those sharp shapes keep shifting while the camera or viewpoint is moving.
For comparison here is a screenshot with in-game color depth set to 32-bit:
32_bit_color_Sacrifice_exe_2017_01_13_17_02_23_0.jpg

I noticed something similar as well in MechWarrior 3, it's far less noticeable and only seems to happen with vehicles and mechs. Unfortunately for that game, it isn't possible to change the color depth in-game so I can't determine if it's related to the issue in Sacrifice. It's difficult to capture it in one screenshot so I took two to show how parts of the highlighted area are shifting.
mech3_exe_2017_01_13_17_21_40_151.jpg
mech3_exe_2017_01_13_17_21_41_354.jpg

Seems to be depth issues to me (Z-fighting).

Reply 2883 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dege wrote:

So, if you type 1MB or 5MB, or 9MB, 13MB and so on as 'memory size / TMU' on Glide tab in the dgv control panel then the game runs.

Looking into the Glide source, the original drivers gave back 'tex_memory size - texture_align (16 bytes)' as the max available texmem address, that's what does the trick for any texture memory size. I fixed it in dgVoodoo.

Reply 2884 of 3949, by sionzee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I probably found bug.
When I minimize my game (avp2) (alt+tab) it crashes.

Configuration

General
Out API (DX11 (feat 10.1))
Enumerate refresh rates cecked.

DirectX
3D Accelerated Card (VRAM 256MB)
No MSAA
Application controlled fullscreen/windowed state
Apply Phon shading when possible
dgVoodoo watermark
Fast video memory access
These checkboxes are checked too.

(When I uncheck fast video memory access) = Crash on startup

What Am I tried: (and unsuccessfully)
Run game with every combination of checkboxes.
Change Output API
Change Videocard
Run in windowed state

Any ideas how to detect why it crashed?
There are no logs. :\

//EDIT
When I rename DDraw.dll, alt + tab works.

Tried on Latest Version + WIP version

Reply 2885 of 3949, by TomArrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Dege and others,

first off thanks a million for the work you have done. I have been wanting to replay SC1 for forever. Now I have the ability.

I have a question that is not related to your software directly and maybe someone else can help out too.

I am thinking about a video project in Splinter Cell style and since I am a little nitpicker, I was wondering if it was possible to get information about the exact algorithm used for creating the night vision effect in Splinter Cell 1. It's probably some kind of simple ambient light shader + glow + wiggling noise texture overlay but it'd be great to have the exact algorithm with the exact numbers etc, to recreate it "perfectly".

Tried finding it in the Echelon.u files, but I am a newbie and I have no idea whether such a thing would even be done in native code or with shaders or with Unreal Scripts or whatever. So any input would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Tom

Reply 2886 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TomArrow wrote:
Hello Dege and others, […]
Show full quote

Hello Dege and others,

first off thanks a million for the work you have done. I have been wanting to replay SC1 for forever. Now I have the ability.

I have a question that is not related to your software directly and maybe someone else can help out too.

I am thinking about a video project in Splinter Cell style and since I am a little nitpicker, I was wondering if it was possible to get information about the exact algorithm used for creating the night vision effect in Splinter Cell 1. It's probably some kind of simple ambient light shader + glow + wiggling noise texture overlay but it'd be great to have the exact algorithm with the exact numbers etc, to recreate it "perfectly".

Tried finding it in the Echelon.u files, but I am a newbie and I have no idea whether such a thing would even be done in native code or with shaders or with Unreal Scripts or whatever. So any input would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Tom

There's a thread dedicated to SC in this section!

Reply 2888 of 3949, by Destroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dege, I don't know who you are but without you and your dgVoodoo series the world would be a very sad gaming place.
Massive props to you for all your efforts!

I've been starting to get back into older games. One of them being my Uprising Join or Die game running within current Win10.

I've tried all sorts of settings with 52 and wip28.

Any help or comments are appreciated.
Thank you.

Below image is what I get with 3dfx exe(solid colored portion of main screen).
ctem5jb.jpg

Below is with it working properly in VMware ver6 within Win10 host using nGlide105. Which is great BUT frame rate is bad and mouse does not stay captured; so it's rather unplayable.
9zBu6UN.jpg

Reply 2889 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sionzee wrote:

Hi! I probably found bug.
When I minimize my game (avp2) (alt+tab) it crashes.

Hi,
yes, fix for Alt-Tab in dgVoodoo seems to have no effect for LithTech engine games under Win10.
It's a problem and should be fixed somehow.

Destroy wrote:
Dege, I don't know who you are but without you and your dgVoodoo series the world would be a very sad gaming place. Massive pro […]
Show full quote

Dege, I don't know who you are but without you and your dgVoodoo series the world would be a very sad gaming place.
Massive props to you for all your efforts!

I've been starting to get back into older games. One of them being my Uprising Join or Die game running within current Win10.

I've tried all sorts of settings with 52 and wip28.

Any help or comments are appreciated.
Thank you.

Below image is what I get with 3dfx exe(solid colored portion of main screen).
ctem5jb.jpg

Below is with it working properly in VMware ver6 within Win10 host using nGlide105. Which is great BUT frame rate is bad and mouse does not stay captured; so it's rather unplayable.
9zBu6UN.jpg

Hi, thanks!! 😀
Well, I'm sure it's a bug in dgVoodoo and there is no workaround for this with the current dgv versions.
All I can say is I'll check this game out or its demo and fix the bug.
(I hope it's not the same as with F22(?) where a strip from the sky looks through the cockpit. 😀 )

Reply 2890 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
As pictures seem to speak more here (heh) here's 3 things that bug me right now: […]
Show full quote

As pictures seem to speak more here (heh) here's 3 things that bug me right now:

Shadows Of The Empire - missing table fog. The GOG version looks like it has it, which makes me think they're using DXWnd or something else.

Original with fog (running on old WinXP machine with Nvidia 7800GS+):
U7qGgRd.jpg

dgVoodoo version (with missing fog):
8pY72au.jpg

Colin McRae Rally - also missing fog (no idea if it uses similar way to display fog to Shadows Of The Empire or not):

Original with fog (hacked Win7/high colour menus exe version running on Win10 with Nvidia GTX 980):
bAMjLus.jpg

dgVoodoo version (with missing fog; also I'm not sure if the thick dark colour-keying around transparent objects is right or not, but it looks a lot better than the original version above!):
4CJbYXD.jpg

Baku Baku Animal - incorrect colours (needs 256 color mode to launch):

Left = original (running on Win98SE VMware machine) / Right = dgVoodoo version:
g9X7dU0.jpg

Hey Dege, regarding the ones I posted, might the fog in Shadows and the fog in McRae be using the same unemulated/unconverted table fog effect? Would fixing them fix other games perhaps? I know nothing FYI, just wondering 😁

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2891 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I already tried to check some of them.
Bakubaku interoperates with GDI (sets the game palette through GDI, not DirectDraw) and there is no way for dgVoodoo to have access to that palette. What I came to is patching the game itself is the only way.

I also wanted to look at ColinMcRae but I surprisingly experienced that it runs very sluggish on Win10 and even crashes when entering a race. 😢
I installed the patch for 16 bit menus but it didn't help, things even got worse. So, for now I don't know what to do. I'll try it on my Win7 machine I think.

BTW, do you have a savegame for Shadows Of The Empire? For that location.

Reply 2892 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few things for McRae:
1. If you're starting the game from Game.exe with Win98 compatibility (to see opening videos) then the menu will be slow and it did crash on loading a race for me.
2. Either use no compatibility on Game.exe, or launch the game from Rally.exe with no compatibility mode applied.
3. Turn off Motion Smoothing in game. On old systems this helped, but to access high FPS it needs to be off (I get 144hz!).
4. I did write a guide for it here: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/5343 … dated-for-win10
5. Someone else got it in widescreen via dgVoodoo, see further down this page: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/4740 … e-rally-1-in-hd (although I don't really care for faking widescreen with FOV hacks etc!)

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2893 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shadows of the Empire: this is just level 2, so if you complete the first level (pretty quick and fun!) then you can get to it. I can supply a save game but it only takes around 5 mins to do.

Reply 2894 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Baku a colour hack would be fine I think, it's ancient! I found this site, but I can't get Baku to appear in the most recent apps list in the Registry: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/927140-win … mment-593322376

Reply 2895 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Baku a colour hack would be fine I think, it's ancient! I found this site, but I can't get Baku to appear in the most recent apps list in the Registry: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/927140-win … mment-593322376

It doesn't have to show up in the recent apps list, you can get the id from the exe itself.

game-id.jpg
Filename
game-id.jpg
File size
124.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This tool does it automatically:
http://www.bitpatch.com/downloads/ddraw_color_fixer.zip

Reply 2896 of 3949, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Shadows of the Empire: this is just level 2, so if you complete the first level (pretty quick and fun!) then you can get to it. I can supply a save game but it only takes around 5 mins to do.

Using "R Testers ROCK" as pilot name will unlock all levels.

Reply 2897 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
teleguy wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

It doesn't have to show up in the recent apps list, you can get the id from the exe itself.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

It redirects here when run as regular user.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 2898 of 3949, by Jonny5isalivetm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings

Hello Dege

Firstly thanks for making dgVoodoo! 😀

On a fresh install on Windows 8.1 x64 I encounter an error while trying to play motorhead racing game..

It gives me a error about a missing file:- api-ms-win-core-crt-l2-1-0.dll even tho the file is present ever come across this ?

Cheers
Jonny

Reply 2899 of 3949, by Shing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to help you debugging Dege? Any games worth checking? Many games has that old-school fading fog effect and in my experience most of them are bugged with dgVoodoo. Tomb Raider 4-5 has a nice volumetric fog effect and it works perfectly in every situation.