VOGONS

Pariah

Topic actions

First post, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Question about Pariah, playing with "Effects" (shaders) on (and of course dgVoodoo2).

Why in the video cutscene (XBox one?) the communication tower level "big blue light core" (?) has a powerful bloom and in game it's not there?

Pariah-2019-11-18-11-16-22-539.jpg

You can see the bloom applied to the "halo" but not to the core.
Shading issue or cutted feature in the PC release?

Reply 2 of 16, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Always in the tower (power generators section below) you can see this "depth fogging" problem playing with the shaders enabled (no issues disabling them) and walking around.
It's related only to some surfaces/textures/objects!

0.jpg

1.jpg

Reply 3 of 16, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can see it very well here (and it's not related to the MSAA, enabled or disabled the issue is there)
D3D8 engine of course.

Pariah-2019-11-18-12-22-45-938.jpg

It's not related to HasNVidiaTexM32Tex in the config file, that variable doens't make any difference with dgVoodoo2 (set to 1 is needed using standard or tweaked MS D3D8 on recent GPUs).

Reply 5 of 16, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

AFAIR I didn't debug this game so I can't say much about its rendering technique.

I remember you've tested it to fix z-fighting on some surfaces and cubemap issues about the lighting on the weapons skin ('cause I've already ask for this 😁 but now I'm testing with the FX - bloom & motion blur - shaders on)

Reply 6 of 16, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

And what about the XBox version? Is it present there as well? 😀
AFAIR I didn't debug this game so I can't say much about its rendering technique.

Ah, you mean the depth fogging? The fogging bug is NOT present in the PC version with MS D3D8.dll (standard or UCyborg tweaked one to get back the VSync).
It's dgVoodoo2 related.

Reply 7 of 16, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
You can see it very well here (and it's not related to the MSAA, enabled or disabled the issue is there) D3D8 engine of course. […]
Show full quote

You can see it very well here (and it's not related to the MSAA, enabled or disabled the issue is there)
D3D8 engine of course.

Pariah-2019-11-18-12-22-45-938.jpg

It's not related to HasNVidiaTexM32Tex in the config file, that variable doens't make any difference with dgVoodoo2 (set to 1 is needed using standard or tweaked MS D3D8 on recent GPUs).

Which level is it? I think I never get there. 😁
I only have a savegame, spawning me in the forest (2nd level).

Reply 11 of 16, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ay7xj3lj5qix90 … edGame.zip/file

Click "Resume"
You'll start in the tower, second part of the mission
Dispatch the 4 enemies on the ground floor
Go down the ladder
TURN 180° and here the dead end with the fogging problem

Reply 13 of 16, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:

Thanks! I've just fixed it. I remember somebody reported very similar fogging bug in FFXI. I hope it'll fix that as well.

Just how can you be so talented? 😁 You're incredible, man!

Having HasNVidiaTexM32Tex enabled is needed using dgVoodoo or not?
Setting it to "1" (like using MS D3D8) can create some problems?

Reply 14 of 16, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

Just how can you be so talented? 😁 You're incredible, man!

Having HasNVidiaTexM32Tex enabled is needed using dgVoodoo or not?
Setting it to "1" (like using MS D3D8) can create some problems?

Thanks, but it's not about talent. I debugged tons of games in the recent years, I have my established tools and methods for debugging, experience for what to guess and look for, and some bugs prove to be easy to fix. (On the other hand, there are very hard ones, almost impossible to debug.)

HasNVidiaTexM32Tex: I didn't yet look at what it changes.

Reply 15 of 16, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HasNVidiaTexM32Tex: I don't know what this option controls. Suggested by the name, I guessed it's the presence of the texm3x2tex instruction in the shaders. But it's all for the same what I set it to (0 or 1), the game creates shaders with texm3x2tex's either way.