VOGONS

First post, by Dirilu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hallo..

I have made a retro pc with windows 98 and using a MSI GeForce MX 4000 (AGP 8x, 64MB) with newest driver.
But I get this weird color error glitz when I try to play my old original shadow warrior. please see screenshot. anybody know that error.?
I have tried to install duke3d and that game is running perfectly fine.

https://imgur.com/a/WQcFd

Reply 2 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

paletted textures?

Likely.

I have little exerience with playing DOS games on 98SE (game is the '97 release ?)
but maybe it helps to set the Windows desktop to 256 colours.

I remember Windows XP had an option for that. At least for Windows programs (*.lnk shortcuts).
DOS programs in 98SE used PIF files as program shortcuts and to store settings, right ? 😕

I vaguely remember there was that "dynamic ROM emulation" setting or how it was called.
Disabling that should let the real VGA BIOS do the job.

Edit: http://www.netwiz.com.au/appnotes/2780.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"paletted textures" refers to a 3d acceleration feature which in this isn't relevant as the game's software rendered entirely in 256 colors anyway.

The renderer in SW should initialize the same way as Duke3D does.

And do NOT use "newest driver" when it comes to win98 and the GF2/GF4MX. You'll just get problems. Use an older driver.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware related questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 10, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Twice have I seen something like this; first time while figuring out how to get SW3DFX to work with an older version of GliDOS and the second time with vanilla sw.exe on XP, which I resolved by right-clicking sw.exe, going to Properties/Screen and changing "Usage" to Full-screen.

Obviously 2 completely different situations, but something's definitely corrupting the palette.

If SW's working ok under pure DOS (you didn't say but I'm assuming yes), then it's got to be a Windows thing, though changing your desktop's color depth as suggested above is quite unlikely to yield the desired results because the video hardware is being accessed in 2 completely different ways if you're indeed using the official drivers. Not that you shouldn't try, though.

Reply 6 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure you're running the game in MS-DOS, not the command prompt.
Try changing the game graphics options in setup and/or modifying the game config file.
Try running the game with NOLFB.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 10, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree on the nolfb.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 8 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

though it's cool playing sw in real dos und much cooler with glide-support, but I did not manage to get it to work with dgvoodoo and on the other hand,
playing with win98 and the jonof-port in 1024 is the best option for me. The sound-problems are gone if I use the wdm-drivers in win98 instead of
the vxd-drivers for the ess-solo1.

Attachments

• Filename
    jfsw_20051009.zip
    File size
    827.58 KiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines