CuteMouse not working properly

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2018-10-28, 14:00:

Here's another mouse driver to try. ~4KB, I think.
Hope it works for you! Good luck! 😀

Just posting this as information as your mileage may vary. This mouse driver seems to have incompatibilities on my Zenith 386 running Wing Commander, the mouse (serial) only worked on half the screen. It is fine with other mouse drivers.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 21 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote on 2023-11-28, 12:23:
Jo22 wrote on 2018-10-28, 14:00:

Here's another mouse driver to try. ~4KB, I think.
Hope it works for you! Good luck! 😀

Just posting this as information as your mileage may vary. This mouse driver seems to have incompatibilities on my Zenith 386 running Wing Commander, the mouse (serial) only worked on half the screen. It is fine with other mouse drivers.

Sorry to hear. Thanks though for the feedback, I'm a fan of Wing Commander, too! 😃

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 25, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me, the latest version of Microsoft Mouse does the job despite the large memory usage and not supporting the third mouse button. Handles nicely the mouse settings and doesn't have the compatibility issues that CuteMouse has while maintaining good performance.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 24 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-12-01, 23:32:

For me, the latest version of Microsoft Mouse does the job despite the large memory usage and not supporting the third mouse button.
Handles nicely the mouse settings and doesn't have the compatibility issues that CuteMouse has while maintaining good performance.

I think the same. The original MS Mouse driver by Microsoft is still worth a try, even if it's a bit large.
I guess it's not easy to write a good mouse driver, because of several reasons.

Some games running in 320x200 need a different treatment than a 640x460 applications.
The distances and speeds are different for each resolution. A good mouse driver takes care of that.

Then there's the odd MS Mouse protocol with its uneven packet size that causes jerky motion.
The later MS Mouse drivers do take care of this, the supplied Windows driver, too.

I suppose CuteMouse was being designed to be free, to be shipped with something like FreeDOS.
It was being written in the late 90s, early 2000s and was forward-looking.

I suppose that maybe this was the reason that the driver has some problems with legacy hardware and software.
When CuteMouse was new, we had PS/2 wheel mice already. Serial mode was already deprecated.

So it makes sense that the authors didn't have the resources to test CuteMouse on an equally large variety of different configurations
than what the old mice drivers (MS Mouse, Genius, Logitech etc) had been running with.

The standard stuff worked fine, but PCs with odd pre-Pentium BIOSes or ISA multi i/o cards were already museum's pieces.

So yeah, if CuteMouse works, it's usually doing okay. If not, MS Mouse or Logitech driver are an alternative.
The latter exists in a cloaked form (~6.50 up) and technically can run past the 1 MB barrier.

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=702&menustate=0

Edit: The Microsoft Mouse Driver 9.01 isn't on Vogonsdrivers yet, so I can't post a link here.
But there's also the Sigma Mouse driver. Re: How do you get a serial mouse working

Edit: Attached a screenshot of the cloaked mouse driver, as seen by MEM.
Edit: The parts seen are the stubs, which do "remote control" the real drivers in extended memory. CACHECLK is a replacement for Smart Drive.

Attachments

• cloaked.gif
    Filename
    cloaked.gif
    File size
    8.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Jo22 on 2023-12-08, 02:22. Edited 3 times in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 25 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have been using DRMOUSE.COM from dr-dos for some years now and never had to load another driver... At ~7kb memory consumption I have not found anything better that does not cause issues.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website