VOGONS

DOS 7.1 Boot and Memory Problems

Topic actions

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
I was experimenting with standalone DOS 7.1 and unlike DOS 6.22 I have problems with loading all drivers and having enough free conventional memory. I also had freezes depending on the order the drivers are loaded.

At the moment config.sys says that:

device=c:\drivers\xmgr.sys
device=c:\drivers\umbpci\umbpci.sys
files=60
dos=high,umb
devicehigh=c:\drivers\xdvd2.sys /d:DVD

and autoexec.bat says that:

@echo off
prompt $p$g
path c:\dos
set temp=c:\dos
set sound=c:\drivers\sb16
set blaster=a220 i5 d1 h5 p330 t6
set midi=synth:1 map:e
lh keyb gr,,c:\dos\keyboard.sys
lh c:\drivers\usbdos\usbuhci.com
lh c:\drivers\usbdos\usbmouse.com
lh c:\drivers\usbdos\usbkeyb.com
lh c:\drivers\sb16\mixerset /p /q
lh c:\drivers\shsucdx.com /d:DVD
lh c:\drivers\ctmouse.exe /r2

I tried many different orders, a few memory managers... sometimes i have freezes... sometimes it says that there is not enough memory for the drivers loaded later...
And this runs perfectly in DOS 6.22 - i don't understand it.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 24, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit: thought I got it... But no... -.-
So problem persists.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 3 of 24, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No that didn't work

Reply 4 of 24, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If nothing changed in terms of settings, but you are getting memory errors, this sounds like some incompatibility between the memory managers and 7.1

Are there any known caveats when using umbpci or xmgr or any of the device drivers he utilizes in conjunction with DOS 7.1?

Is there a specific reason for you needing it? My money is on FAT32 support.

Reply 5 of 24, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Removing the usb drivers results no problem. So umbpci as well as xmgr seem to work with DOS 7.1 but as soon as usb drivers are loaded everything stops or something's not working...
But otherwise... whateva - looks like i've found a way. I rebooted now 20 times or so - and everything works with 615kb free conventional memory. I went back to the original dos memory managers.

config.sys now looks like this:

device=c:\dos\himem.sys /testmem:off
device=c:\dos\emm386.exe ram highscan ----- if i don't put in this highscan command i lose almost 40kb conventional memory
files=60
dos=high,umb
devicehigh=c:\drivers\toshv218.sys /d:DVD

and autoexec.bat:

@echo off
prompt $p$g
path c:\dos
set temp=c:\dos
set sound=c:\drivers\sb16
set blaster=a220 i5 d1 h5 p330 t6
set midi=synth:1 map:e
c:\drivers\usbdos\usbuhci.com
c:\drivers\usbdos\usbmouse.com
c:\drivers\usbdos\usbkeyb.com
c:\drivers\sb16\mixerset /p /q
c:\drivers\shsucdx.com /d:DVD
keyb gr,,c:\dos\keyboard.sys
c:\drivers\ctmouse.exe /r2

Reply 6 of 24, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My dear fellow comrades... I managed to get umbpci work with DOS 7.1 ... I went back to the scratch and wrote an all new config.sys using umbpci + Hiram + himem and got a total amount of epic 631K free conventional memory... I feel like one of the first humans made fire... 😀

Reply 7 of 24, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HIRAM has its source code released HIRAM19A.ASM. 😁
I added the same chipset code for enabling UMB and had HIMEM.SYS loaded in UMB. This freed up additional 1120 bytes and made 629KB of free conventional memory. There is nothing else to free. You've got 631KB and I wonder where else to shrink 2KB of DOS conventional memory footprint. I am using Win98SE DOS (4.10.2222).

Reply 8 of 24, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why do you need so much free conventional memmory? Most Dos applications/games will runon 620k or less. Having too much free can actually causew issues with some programs.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 24, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote:

HIRAM has its source code released HIRAM19A.ASM. 😁
I added the same chipset code for enabling UMB and had HIMEM.SYS loaded in UMB. This freed up additional 1120 bytes and made 629KB of free conventional memory. There is nothing else to free. You've got 631KB and I wonder where else to shrink 2KB of DOS conventional memory footprint. I am using Win98SE DOS (4.10.2222).

I just tell what I am seeing. As soon as possible I will make a photo.

Caluser2000 wrote:

Why do you need so much free conventional memmory? Most Dos applications/games will runon 620k or less. Having too much free can actually causew issues with some programs.

Why climb a mountain - one can't breath so good up there and it's damn cild. But man. What a feeling to reach the top. It's just for fun.

Reply 11 of 24, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok ... Looks like I was early pleased... 😊 I was obviously to tired to look carefully. The shsucdx wasn't loaded properly. I will have a look later how proper loading of cdrom driver affects memory.

Reply 12 of 24, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Before reading anything:

DOS 7.1 has no boot and memory problems! If you experience any problems, the problem is you! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Now let's read.

Well, looks like most of your problems are solved. The questions I have:

1. Which system is this? Do you really need DOS USB drivers?
2. Do you plan to use Win9x on it as well?
3. Himem/EMM386 and standard IDE CDROM drivers + MSCDEX are apparently slightly more compatible than XMGR, UMBPCI, XDVD2 and SHSUCDX. The end result might be a little less free conventional memory (maybe down to 610-620K depending on how many extra drivers you need), but from a practical point of view it's still enough for all games.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 13 of 24, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Before reading anything:

DOS 7.1 has no boot and memory problems! If you experience any problems, the problem is you!

You should've read before. Then you would've noticed that I don't said anything else. You also would've noticed that it's me who has the problem not DOS itself. I am into this long enough to know that solving such problems is a matter of time, patience, gaining knowledge and thinking logical. This is the reason why I am here. So let's agree, that I AM not the problem but that I have the problem.

Reply 14 of 24, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That was all in jest, in case the three laughing out loud smileys did not make it clear. 😉

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 15 of 24, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Didn't want to start an argument. We are just writing and I am not very good in understanding indirect messages. Sry

Reply 16 of 24, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So here it comes:

IMG-20191120-114015.jpg

IMG-20191120-113947.jpg

IMG-20191120-114002.jpg

I cannot say for sure that I didn't make a mistake somewhere. But everything works - so... 631K.
The only thing that puzzles me is the questionmark in occupied xms memory.

dr_st wrote:
Well, looks like most of your problems are solved. The questions I have: […]
Show full quote

Well, looks like most of your problems are solved. The questions I have:

1. Which system is this? Do you really need DOS USB drivers?
2. Do you plan to use Win9x on it as well?
3. Himem/EMM386 and standard IDE CDROM drivers + MSCDEX are apparently slightly more compatible than XMGR, UMBPCI, XDVD2 and SHSUCDX. The end result might be a little less free conventional memory (maybe down to 610-620K depending on how many extra drivers you need), but from a practical point of view it's still enough for all games.

1. I am using an optical wheel mouse and I don't like the USB to ps/2 adapter. I extracted the DOS 7.1 from my Windows 98 SE so 2. No - I don't plan to do this for the moment. 3. Maybe - but momentarily I am focussing only on gaining as much memory as possible.

Reply 18 of 24, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No EMS with umbpci.

Reply 19 of 24, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazar81 wrote:

No EMS with umbpci.

There is an option for software-based EMS (LIMulator, EMS simulator etc.) if you leave enough free UMB block to fit the 64KB EMS page frame. Most of them are meant to be used with 80286 and if loaded in UMB, the EMS page frame stays in UMB, too. Most games requirement of EMS memory should work. It may not be a performant option, but if you are running ancient 8086/286 DOS games on Pentium or better CPUs, the CPUs should have more than enough spare cycles to simulate EMS memory with memcpy. Commercial variants such as TurboEMS, AboveDisk etc. have the options to locate EMS page frame, use XMS memory and load on-demand only when you need EMS memory.