VOGONS

First post, by mt777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to make multiple instances of W98 in one HDD and each system will have specific settings (for quickly testing cards etc).
So I will make a fresh install of W98 + initial setup like drivers. Then clone partition to X partitions and change boot menu with proper title.
What's the best way to achieve it to avoid corruption of OS in another partitions? I prefer via USB/ATA interface.

Reply 1 of 8, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I plan to use CF cards to achieve that. One card per setup.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 8, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You'll probably need GRUB or similar boot loader to be able to select which partition to boot to. For cloning you could use Clonezilla running from either a CDROM or thumb drive.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 3 of 8, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mt777 wrote on 2020-07-18, 22:57:

I want to make multiple instances of W98 in one HDD and each system will have specific settings (for quickly testing cards etc).
So I will make a fresh install of W98 + initial setup like drivers. Then clone partition to X partitions and change boot menu with proper title.
What's the best way to achieve it to avoid corruption of OS in another partitions? I prefer via USB/ATA interface.

What I would do is: install the first copy of windows 98 as the base. Then, clone it as many times as you need (can't exceed 4, an HDD cannot have more than 4 primary partitions and win98 does not seem to like booting from an extended partition) and finally, use some boot manager (I use masterbooter 3.7 which is open source, but there are several options) to choose which one to boot. The catch is that your boot manager software should be able to hide partitions on the fly and then boot the OS you chose. I do that for multibooting DOS, win95 and win98 on the same PC, it works perfect.

Reply 4 of 8, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

20 years ago I was using Ghost for DOS, and I still use it now. It's very reliable, never had an issue with it. It usually takes less than a minute to restore the system partition for another motherboard (I have 20+ images for multiple motherboards/chipsets).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 5 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh back in they day we used the boot manager that came ghost for that exact reason. had 4 images for testing.
Win98 Office 2k
Win 98 Office XP
Win2k Office 2k
and yep
Win2k Office XP

Reply 6 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2020-07-19, 08:14:
Yeh back in they day we used the boot manager that came ghost for that exact reason. had 4 images for testing. Win98 Office 2k W […]
Show full quote

Yeh back in they day we used the boot manager that came ghost for that exact reason. had 4 images for testing.
Win98 Office 2k
Win 98 Office XP
Win2k Office 2k
and yep
Win2k Office XP

I hope you had matching copies of Visio 2000 and Visio 2002 for those MS Office versions. 😁

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2020-07-19, 18:46:

I hope you had matching copies of Visio 2000 and Visio 2002 for those MS Office versions. 😁

Nah was used for testing version compatibility for internal CRM system Office add-ins
Back in the early days when no one really knew what a CRM was so updates often broke something else 😉

Did have Visio on my laptop though 😀