User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-09-12, 12:10:

[..] A lot of software is lost to time.

Yep. That's what I'm afraid of.
I tried to explain that before, but apparently failed to do so. 😟

The early Windows days were not the same as the Windows 3.x days.
Early Windows programs are hard to find, because they are rarely marked as Windows 1.x/2.x applications.

It's not like going to SIMTEL and checking some index files.
As I tried to explain, FTPs like that collect the newest binaries only (in most cases).
So we won't find the wholw history of a specific application.

Discovering new old EXEs was a tedious process of trial and error.
I had to manually run each promising binary on Windows 2.x each time.
Sometimes I also had to use a Hex editor or the Borland Resource Editor.

Anyway, I'm pretty certain that some more Windows 1.x/2.x binaries existed. Why?
Because of the read.me files (change list). And the copyright.
Windows applications that also contain an older copyright code of '86,'87,'88,'89 do certainly predate Windows 3.0.

Lastly, there are visible differences.
Windows 3.0 Programs originally compiled against Windows 1.x/2.x did follow a different design philosophy.
- The Help item is located in a different spot, far on the right, for example.
- The About items is located on the upper left corner, were Windows programs have that boxy icon [-]
- The icons are monochrome
- The hot keys (underlined characters) are not appearing in the menu if you presd ALT
- The file open dialog is boxy, archaic without icons
- et cetera

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-12, 11:47:

We know what happened because we were there at the time. You are just wont to except that reality....
http://toastytech.com/guis/indexwindows.html

Are you just talking in third-person? 🤨

Edit: I've added a few pictures to help visualize the points mentioned before.

Attachments

• wins_menu.png
    Filename
    wins_menu.png
    File size
    23.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • wins_fileopen.png
    Filename
    wins_fileopen.png
    File size
    27.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • wins_underline_notepads.png
    Filename
    wins_underline_notepads.png
    File size
    19.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Jo22 on 2021-09-14, 08:27. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 61 of 69, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyway, I merely came back to this thread because I originally promised to test some more Windows 3.0 games on my XT.. 😞
Re: *The big list of 8086 real-mode Windows 3.0 compatible software - please contribute*

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 62 of 69, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-13, 05:55:
What is wrong with that? Every time I look in the mirror I see another me. Don't you? […]
Show full quote

What is wrong with that? Every time I look in the mirror I see another me. Don't you?

Edit: Nathan says hi.
Edit: Looks like story telling is obviously you forte.
Edit:I had to edit the edit..

You're calling me a liar? Seriously? 😕

Ok, fine. Here you have what you want.

But I won't provide any more of such private information. I hope you can understand.

Attachments

//My video channel//

Reply 63 of 69, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-09-13, 07:01:
You're calling me a liar? Seriously? 😕 […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-13, 05:55:
What is wrong with that? Every time I look in the mirror I see another me. Don't you? […]
Show full quote

What is wrong with that? Every time I look in the mirror I see another me. Don't you?

Edit: Nathan says hi.
Edit: Looks like story telling is obviously you forte.
Edit:I had to edit the edit..

You're calling me a liar? Seriously? 😕

Ok, fine. Here you have what you want.

But I won't provide any more of such private information. I hope you can understand.

You are a very unique vogons member.. Just like the rest of us.

EDIT:We don't see any XT class system shown. Why is that?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 64 of 69, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is what mine looks like:

Attachments

• IMG_20210914_072253.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210914_072253.jpg
    File size
    225.51 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 65 of 69, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-13, 19:26:

Nice looking rig 😀
I am very envious of that screen - I had clone one as a junior and still kick myself for getting rid of it
While I tested most of the real mode list on 86box my target XT's are a Sharp PC-7100 portable which has a screen that melts your eyes and a 5160 clone with VGA [Unicorn XT-10 Restoration Project]

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@techdistractions

Reply 66 of 69, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
4xtx wrote on 2021-09-16, 05:07:
Nice looking rig :-) I am very envious of that screen - I had clone one as a junior and still kick myself for getting rid of it […]
Show full quote

Nice looking rig 😀
I am very envious of that screen - I had clone one as a junior and still kick myself for getting rid of it
While I tested most of the real mode list on 86box my target XT's are a Sharp PC-7100 portable which has a screen that melts your eyes and a 5160 clone with VGA [https://www.lvogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t= … rn%20xt#p954844]

Excellent effort. Mine is running GeoWorks Pro 1.2 on top of MS Dos 5a. Runs very well on 640k.

Still have the original 3.5" disks and manual I bought to use on my new 286/16 system I got in the early '90s.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-09-18, 00:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 67 of 69, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-16, 05:14:
Nice looking rig :-) I am very envious of that screen - I had clone one as a junior and still kick myself for getting rid of it […]
Show full quote

Nice looking rig 😀
While I tested most of the real mode list on 86box my target XT's are a Sharp PC-7100 portable which has a screen that melts your eyes and a 5160 clone with VGA [https://www.lvogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t= … rn%20xt#p954844]

Excellent effort. Mine is running GeoWorks Pro 1.2 on top of MS Dos 5a. Runs very well on 640k.

Still have the original 3.5" disks and manual I bought to use on my new 286/16 system I got in the early '90s.

GEOS was always impressive with resources, I had the the c64 version and was always impressed with how it managed to run despite some severe limitations.
I might give GW a shot on the sharp, wonder if it runs
The ensemble releases afterwards were pretty damn good, I think the last version is now open source PC/GEOS

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-09-18, 00:38. Edited 1 time in total.

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@techdistractions

Reply 68 of 69, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
4xtx wrote on 2021-09-16, 05:41:

[..]

Thank you for the list and congratulations on a job well done!
It must have been a lot of work, really. Love your dedicaton here. ^^
Same goes for your restoration project - well done.

Since you mentioned Windows 3.0.. It could benefit from either an UMB card or an EMS board, I think.
For some akward reasons, Microsoft overhauled Real-Mode support in Windows 3.0.
It can now use Expanded Memory for Windows programs and itself.
Windows 2.x, including Windows/386, did only provide DOS programs with extra memory.
If EMS is available, Windows 3.0 will allow choosing wallpapers in Real-Mode, too.

You can check some of my 286 videos, if you like, in which I experimented with chipset EMS and Win 3 RM.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCM_rzw6WcXibc7 … MS%2BWindows%20

[..] Mine is running GeoWorks Pro 1.2 on top of MS Dos 5a. Runs very well on 640k.

Looks interesting.
It could run even better with an EMS board, I imagine.
Free contiguous memory is always welcome by such environments, I assume.

Too bad PCem/86Box never implemented one, I think.
That would make doing benchmarks/smoothness tests more easy.

GEOS was always impressive with resources, I had the the c64 version and was always impressed with how it managed to run despite some severe limitations.

I believe I had got a C128D and a copy of the C128 version, too, at some point. And a mouse.
It was really impressive, yes.
Especially, considering the low resolution (-C64 calls it "hi-res"-) of 320x200 that the C64 version had to work with.
The CGA on PC/XT had got 640x200 in monochrome, by comparison, which was still not quite enough to properly fit most GUIs.

Imagine, the C64/C128 had gotten a hardware port of the Hercules card in its heyday.
PC/XT bus for Commodore C64/C128
That would have been so cool! 😎
The USER port could have been used for that.

//My video channel//

Reply 69 of 69, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GEOS was always impressive with resources, I had the the c64 version and was always impressed with how it managed to run despite […]
Show full quote

Nice looking rig 😀

Excellent effort. Mine is running GaoWorks Pro 1.2 on top of MS Dos 5a. Runs very well on 640k.

I might give GW a shot on the sharp, wonder if it runs
The ensemble releases afterwards were pretty damn good, I think the last version is now open source PC/GEOS

Yeah the owner Breadbox Ensemble sadly past away and the PC/GEOS source code is available o n github. https://www.osnews.com/story/30908/pcgeos-sou … che-20-license/
There was a code change between 1.x and 2.x. Version 2.x up was a bit less responsive because of that. IIRC it was compiled on NT based systems later on.

GeoWorks doesn't need any extra memory to load wallpapers. Also it creates a swap file during installation. Initially 4 megs but can be increased or decreased if the user wanted.

Edit: Added bits 😉