VOGONS

First post, by arnovdheiden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

first of all, thank you all for being a treasure trove of good old retro information. It's great there is an active community for this. If I used the wrong section for this question, sorry for that. Feel free to move this topic to the right one.

I have a pentium 133 system with 64MB ram, and a clean installation of Windows 98 SE NL (Dutch language). What happens is that when i have an open folder, and I have to restart windows after for example a software installation, the folder that was open before the restart, reopens when I enter windows after restart. This is quite annoying behaviour, and it would be great if there is a solution for that.

things I found online like adding a registry entry which adds a folder option to disable this behaviour, did not do anything. So the main and only solution i could find using google, did not work.
I also tried a different ISO of WIN98NL and reinstalled Windows, but that did not change anything.

The weird thing is, is that this problem is already there after a fresh instalaltion, so is it "default" for this windows version? I can't remember this being this way back in 1999.

is there someone that has the same issue and found a good solution?

thank you in advance and best regards,

Arno
Gouda, Netherlands

Reply 1 of 5, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There should be an option accessible from explorer that opens a window where you can set various folder/file related options. One of them is about restoring folders that were open during a shutdown. This window looks something like this: http://www.clubinnovations.com.au/training/te … 98_1/files.html

Last edited by Peter Swinkels on 2022-02-07, 10:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 2 of 5, by arnovdheiden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2022-02-01, 10:02:

There should an option accessible from explorer that opens a window where you can set various folder/file related options. One of them is about restoring folders that were open during a shutdown. This window looks something like this: http://www.clubinnovations.com.au/training/te … 98_1/files.html

Thanks for the suggestion. I read about that, but i don't have that option. I tried to add that option in the registry but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Reply 3 of 5, by Kalle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The weird thing is, is that this problem is already there after a fresh instalaltion, so is it "default" for this windows version? I can't remember this being this way back in 1999.

Yes, it's like that for the whole 9x series, including ME.
From what I could find, MS changed that behavior with IE6. I tried installing IE6 in a VM, and it did disable that behavior of restoring folders on startup. Then also the PersistBrowsers registry entry had an effect and lets you switch that feature on and off as desired.

Reply 4 of 5, by arnovdheiden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kalle wrote on 2022-02-01, 11:54:

Yes, it's like that for the whole 9x series, including ME.
From what I could find, MS changed that behavior with IE6. I tried installing IE6 in a VM, and it did disable that behavior of restoring folders on startup. Then also the PersistBrowsers registry entry had an effect and lets you switch that feature on and off as desired.

that is a great suggestion. I will try to install IE6 NL and see what happens. Thanks!