VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed that Golden Axe was very sensitive to the CPU it was bound to. I am using an Pentium1 120 mhz and disabling the cache dont cut it, so I have to rely to SLOWDOWN.EXE 3.10 by Bret Jonhson to make the computer slow enough for the game. But now I realize that the game speed will be relative to the speed of the CPU.

For instance here you can see the first verse of Wilderness using SLOWDOWN at 286 @30mhz then @20mhz and you see the music progressively drifting off for being slightly slower:
goldenaxe_wilderness_286.png

Which bring me to the question; On what computer in 1990 SEGA (John and Kenn Sanderson, really) expected us to play that game exactly ?

Reply 1 of 9, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The biggest hint is that the minimum system was a genuine IBM PC 5150 8088-4.77mhz

Golden Axe PC - DOSbox performance (setting up)

Up through 1990 most games would at least work on true “base pc hardware “
even in 1990 A few games still didn’t work correctly on faster hardware.

So optimal might be anything from 4.77mhz to 25mhz but usually developers didn’t expect you to have much over 10mhz at home with a few exceptions.

Pushing boundaries came later

Reply 2 of 9, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2023-10-22, 07:31:

The biggest hint is that the minimum system was a genuine IBM PC 5150 8088-4.77mhz

Technically it'll "run" on such a system but it's totally unplayable. Back when the family's turbo XT was new, I remember timing the dwarf's lightning spell- it took 14 MINUTES to complete, and that was with turbo on using the least demanding video mode (CGA). 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 9, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileR wrote on 2023-10-22, 07:51:
rmay635703 wrote on 2023-10-22, 07:31:

Technically it'll "run" on such a system but it's totally unplayable. Back when the family's turbo XT was new, I remember timing the dwarf's lightning spell- it took 14 MINUTES to complete, and that was with turbo on using the least demanding video mode (CGA). 😀

And on a 486sx25 the ai was unbeatable, so for proper speed must be inbetween turbo XT (unplayable ) and 486sx-25 unplayable for a different reason .

Maybe 286-12 ?

Reply 4 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think 286-12 would be too slow. The music seem to be too slow even on the 286-20 setting. I used to be playing the game on my 386sx16 thinking it was perfect, but of course I had nothing else to compare, when I upgraded to an 386dx40 I though it became way harder and, as mentioned on reference post, some fighting trick where just not working anymore. I did want to keep my original post concise but I'm not even playing the game, I'm just going to the option/sound-test and play the music. I want to do an audio recording to compare the music from the three major port of the game : Genesis, Arcade and PC. I guess now my only option would be to compare audio with the arcade version and find a SLOWDOWN.EXE settings that work.

Thank you for your input, rmay635703 and VileR ! I'll try to remember to get back and post my result if I find something conclusive.

Reply 5 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The playable Golden Axe DOS experience I remember was on a 386SX16 (VGA and SB). A lot of old arcade ports face that ISA bottleneck so it'll never be perfect, and VGA panning wasn't a thing many bothered with.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It heavily depends on the video mode used, on VGA it lags even on a slow 386 during crowded scenes. 2-player mode also has a big effect.
Although I was playing it on an 8088/CGA back then by today's standards I consider it perfect on at least a 386DX/33 with cache.

Reply 7 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once again, the outcome of my observation was unexpected. It seem that everything from my Golden Axe soundtrack comparison project do not go as planned. What I realize is that the soundtrack would be affected by cpu speed up to something around an 286@90mhz or a 486@45mhz. At this point I could even run the game at full speed of the pentium@120mhz with all cache, using CGA and the music would still be capped the same.

Now what's interesting is that even at maximum capped speed, it's still a bit slower than the arcade reference. But validating other music from the game I found how much the PC music feel butchered in comparison. And that the marginal speed difference is not significant compared to the obvious alteration that where done, such as whole part of a music that where cut. I've always though that the PC version was the superior one, but the more I compare with the genesis/megadrive and Arcade version, the more I start to believe it was in fact the worst one.

So thank to everyone that chipped in my thread, all your input did help me understand more the particularity of this game timing issues. I think now I have all what is necessary to wear my music critic hat and begin my comparative analysis of the game soundtrack on the ym2151, ym2612 and ym3812.

Reply 8 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

music slowness is probably because the game runs music off system timer directly, which by default is at ~18.2ms, giving about ~56Hz update rate, compared to arcade and MD version which are almost at 60Hz.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 9 of 9, by soupapes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This was one of my favourite games. I used to play it on an IBM PS/1 486 SX25 with 2mb ram. Never noticed any issues with the speed.

- IBM Aptiva 2176/P166/Matrox Millenium 4Mb/Voodoo1 4Mb/48Mb/8Gb+8Gb SD-IDE/SB16/Win98SE
- 486 DX2 66/CL-GD5424/32mb/HD 600mb/Mozart601/Dos6.22+Win3.11
- P166MMX/S3VirgeDx/96Mb/8Gb SD-IDE/SB16/Win98SE
- P4 3GHz/FX5700/2Gb/HD 80Gb+160Gb/Win XP