VOGONS

PCMCIA Sound Cards

Topic actions

Reply 540 of 579, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could someone please upload Tuple data of Panasonic CF-VEW211 or CF-VEW212?
DOS enabler panasnd.exe uses Panasonic CF-VEW211 and CF-VEW212 Tuple data. Maybe panasnd.exe can be modified to use FMV-J451 also if using that Tuple data.
Tuple data can be optained using dtpl.exe tool (dtpl.exe -r > dump.txt)

Thanks

Reply 541 of 579, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’m travelling now, and will be able to upload vew211 data on monday. Unless someone does it before that.
Also looking at Fujitsu card data, it seems to have unmodified card name. I’m not sure why it doesn’t work. Did you try loading card and socket services?
Also it can be the controller problem. Is it Intel 82365 compatible?
Another thing to check is emm386 driver. It’s better not to load it, or exclude some memory areas according to card’s recommendations, if there are any.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 542 of 579, by nach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to help with the CF-VEW212 but unfortunately i do not have the drivers disk. I hope you can reslolve the issue soon.

Roland MT-32, Roland SCP-55, Roland SC-88, Roland MT-90U, Casio GZ-70SP, Casio GZ-50M, Yamaha MU90B, Yamaha MDP-5, Panasonic CF-VEW212, TDK Digital Music Card 9000, Kawai Gmega

Reply 543 of 579, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nach wrote on 2023-07-07, 14:46:
I won an auction today of a device that I'm not sure if it could be considered a PCMCIA sound card itself. It is called "IBM Ext […]
Show full quote

I won an auction today of a device that I'm not sure if it could be considered a PCMCIA sound card itself. It is called "IBM External 4X PCMCIA Stereo CDROM Drive with sound box". It is a complete one in box and luckily it has all the parts as almost always is missing the pcmcia card.

It is a normal PCMCIA portable cdrom drive as but it has attached a sound card module (the so called "sound box")in the bottom with even a game port (and integrated speakers). It seems there are drivers for dos, win 3.1 and windows 95 so It seems it is also compatible with DOS games? Maybe is it a sort of IMB 3d sound card?

I found a webpage in english and it says "Additional features - With 16-bit stereo audio support for SoundBlaster-compatible applications, FM music synthesizer and a joystick/MIDI port, the PCMCIA stereo CD-ROM Drive is perfect for playing games or even composing music."
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/e21a.htm

I also found a manual but it doesn't mention anything about sound blaster compatibility, only how to instal the dos 5.0 or later drivers.
https://ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/archive/ps2supersit … ns/d3qu9mst.pdf

Does anybody know or has this device? Is it real DOS mode compatible? could it be considered a PCMCIA sound card per se?
I will try is as soon as possible when it comes but i have no time so it might take a while to discover it my myself.

I think this cd-rom was discussed earlier in this thread. It has ESS sound chip and IIRC sound/joystick portion works in Windows (3.x, 9x) only, while cd-rom is supported also in DOS. Still a very nice find!

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 544 of 579, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2023-07-08, 06:44:
I’m travelling now, and will be able to upload vew211 data on monday. Unless someone does it before that. Also looking at Fujits […]
Show full quote

I’m travelling now, and will be able to upload vew211 data on monday. Unless someone does it before that.
Also looking at Fujitsu card data, it seems to have unmodified card name. I’m not sure why it doesn’t work. Did you try loading card and socket services?
Another thing to check is emm386 driver. It’s better not to load it, or exclude some memory areas according to card’s recommendations, if there are any.

I tried with card and socket services and also without loading emm386.exe and all does not work with No SoundCard message.
As for controller, it is Ricoh RL5C476 and it seems it is compatibile with i82365SL (Compliant with i82365SL compatibile register set / ExCA TM in PC Card-16 Bridge section of data sheet)

I read release DOC file of panas13.lzh and there is note that this enabler check Tuples of inserted card and initialize CF-VEW211 and CF-VEW212. I suspect some parts of Tuples of CF-VEW211 and FMV-J451 are different and the enabler check them. If in that case, I hope it works for FMV J451 if modify those parts.

Thanks a lot

Reply 545 of 579, by nach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2023-07-08, 07:27:
I won an auction today of a device that I'm not sure if it could be considered a PCMCIA sound card itself. It is called "IBM Ext […]
Show full quote

I won an auction today of a device that I'm not sure if it could be considered a PCMCIA sound card itself. It is called "IBM External 4X PCMCIA Stereo CDROM Drive with sound box". It is a complete one in box and luckily it has all the parts as almost always is missing the pcmcia card.

It is a normal PCMCIA portable cdrom drive as but it has attached a sound card module (the so called "sound box")in the bottom with even a game port (and integrated speakers). It seems there are drivers for dos, win 3.1 and windows 95 so It seems it is also compatible with DOS games? Maybe is it a sort of IMB 3d sound card?

I found a webpage in english and it says "Additional features - With 16-bit stereo audio support for SoundBlaster-compatible applications, FM music synthesizer and a joystick/MIDI port, the PCMCIA stereo CD-ROM Drive is perfect for playing games or even composing music."

I also found a manual but it doesn't mention anything about sound blaster compatibility, only how to instal the dos 5.0 or later drivers.

Does anybody know or has this device? Is it real DOS mode compatible? could it be considered a PCMCIA sound card per se?
I will try is as soon as possible when it comes but i have no time so it might take a while to discover it my myself.

I think this cd-rom was discussed earlier in this thread. It has ESS sound chip and IIRC sound/joystick portion works in Windows (3.x, 9x) only, while cd-rom is supported also in DOS. Still a very nice find!

Thank you! My bad as i didn’t check the entire thread, only checked using the search engine and couldn’t find it.

By the way still not able to find the DOS drivers you asked me, i will try to ask the japanese guy on youtube who has several sample videos of super rare sound cards/modules. Maybe he could have them

Roland MT-32, Roland SCP-55, Roland SC-88, Roland MT-90U, Casio GZ-70SP, Casio GZ-50M, Yamaha MU90B, Yamaha MDP-5, Panasonic CF-VEW212, TDK Digital Music Card 9000, Kawai Gmega

Reply 546 of 579, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ychh0 wrote on 2023-07-08, 08:09:
I tried with card and socket services and also without loading emm386.exe and all does not work with No SoundCard message. As fo […]
Show full quote
I’m travelling now, and will be able to upload vew211 data on monday. Unless someone does it before that. Also looking at Fujits […]
Show full quote

I tried with card and socket services and also without loading emm386.exe and all does not work with No SoundCard message.
As for controller, it is Ricoh RL5C476 and it seems it is compatibile with i82365SL (Compliant with i82365SL compatibile register set / ExCA TM in PC Card-16 Bridge section of data sheet)

I read release DOC file of panas13.lzh and there is note that this enabler check Tuples of inserted card and initialize CF-VEW211 and CF-VEW212. I suspect some parts of Tuples of CF-VEW211 and FMV-J451 are different and the enabler check them. If in that case, I hope it works for FMV J451 if modify those parts.

Thanks a lot

I attach the dump of VEW211 as promised, but it's identical to Fujitsu.
It's the controller that prevents the card from working with the point enabler. I have a Thinkpad X60s that has same chip and my VEW211 is not detected by panasnd.exe - same error No sound card. However with CS/SS loaded and scenable.com driver all works fine.

Filename
VEW211.TXT
File size
2.47 KiB
Downloads
57 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 547 of 579, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nach wrote on 2023-07-08, 09:05:
Show full quote

Thank you! My bad as i didn’t check the entire thread, only checked using the search engine and couldn’t find it.

By the way still not able to find the DOS drivers you asked me, i will try to ask the japanese guy on youtube who has several sample videos of super rare sound cards/modules. Maybe he could have them

ESS based cards can be very useful in Win 9.x. I tested several cards here Re: PCMCIA Sound Cards
Would be interesting to see what the IBM one is capable of. I should probably add it to the chart too.
And thank you for trying to help with the drivers!

EDIT: found my own link to the FAQ for this device http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/47a6.htm
It states that there is no support for DOS applications in Windows environment. But I'd test it anyway.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 548 of 579, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2023-07-10, 07:02:
I attach the dump of VEW211 as promised, but it's identical to Fujitsu. It's the controller that prevents the card from working […]
Show full quote
I tried with card and socket services and also without loading emm386.exe and all does not work with No SoundCard message. As fo […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Thanks a lot

It's the controller that prevents the card from working with the point enabler. I have a Thinkpad X60s that has same chip and my VEW211 is not detected by panasnd.exe - same error No sound card. However with CS/SS loaded and scenable.com driver all works fine.
VEW211.TXT

Thanks a lot!

I did't know that chipset is not compatible....
It should be better if panasnd.exe works considering memory usage...Anyway thanks a lot for your confirmation.

BTW, sound out to laptop speaker is very useful feature but the sound is too loud for my laptop (X41 Tablet).
It's too loud and sound is distorted. I wonder if there are any way to lower sound volume.

Reply 549 of 579, by nach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2023-07-10, 07:12:
ESS based cards can be very useful in Win 9.x. I tested several cards here Re: PCMCIA Sound Cards Would be interesting to see wh […]
Show full quote

ESS based cards can be very useful in Win 9.x. I tested several cards here Re: PCMCIA Sound Cards
Would be interesting to see what the IBM one is capable of. I should probably add it to the chart too.

EDIT: found my own link to the FAQ for this device http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/47a6.htm
It states that there is no support for DOS applications in Windows environment. But I'd test it anyway.

Thank you for the info!
I could check it today on a Libretto 50 with an english windows 98 although it may be the same with other systems and languages and definitely it doesn't with even a dos window on windows 98. The sound chip is an ESS ES1688 AudioDrive.

However, I don't know why but it worked perfectly with the DOS version of the game "Z" on a windows98 dos window. I also have distorted digital sound test on the Duke Nukem 3D setup program and more than a half of the games seem to initialize or seem "aware" of the card because i hear a click in the headphones when I start them.

It is a shame because in fact on windows 98 it uses address 220 - IRQ 5 - DMA 1 (this one under the ESS Audodrive DMA emulation) but there is no General Midi, MPU-401 setting nor adlib 388 on dos and auto detection doesn't detect anything on any setup program (except the game Z as i mentioned earlier)

I would need more time to be able to check it with a japanese windows 95 although I'm afraid the results will be the same.

Anyway it works super fine as an exclusive Windows 9x crdom drive + sound card! And it is super fun to listen all windows 9x events and games sounding through the built in speakers.

Reply 550 of 579, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ychh0 wrote on 2023-07-10, 13:21:
Thanks a lot! […]
Show full quote
Bondi wrote on 2023-07-10, 07:02:
I attach the dump of VEW211 as promised, but it's identical to Fujitsu. It's the controller that prevents the card from working […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Thanks a lot

VEW211.TXT

Thanks a lot!

I did't know that chipset is not compatible....
It should be better if panasnd.exe works considering memory usage...Anyway thanks a lot for your confirmation.

BTW, sound out to laptop speaker is very useful feature but the sound is too loud for my laptop (X41 Tablet).
It's too loud and sound is distorted. I wonder if there are any way to lower sound volume.

It's either chip is not 100% compatible or the way it's implemented on Thinkpads. Actually none of the point enablers (that are supposed to program the controller directly) I tried worked with this Ricoh chip.
As for the noisy output, yes, it's the same on my X60s. However it sounds much better on older Thinkpads.
All in all these newer machines are not really optimal for use with pcmcia sound cards. I'd rather consider using SBEMU emulator which works fine on x60s and is much more compatible with DOS games and supports both digital and FM sound.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 551 of 579, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nach wrote on 2023-07-11, 10:14:
Thank you for the info! I could check it today on a Libretto 50 with an english windows 98 although it may be the same with othe […]
Show full quote
Bondi wrote on 2023-07-10, 07:12:
ESS based cards can be very useful in Win 9.x. I tested several cards here Re: PCMCIA Sound Cards Would be interesting to see wh […]
Show full quote

Thank you for the info!
I could check it today on a Libretto 50 with an english windows 98 although it may be the same with other systems and languages and definitely it doesn't with even a dos window on windows 98. The sound chip is an ESS ES1688 AudioDrive.

However, I don't know why but it worked perfectly with the DOS version of the game "Z" on a windows98 dos window. I also have distorted digital sound test on the Duke Nukem 3D setup program and more than a half of the games seem to initialize or seem "aware" of the card because i hear a click in the headphones when I start them.

It is a shame because in fact on windows 98 it uses address 220 - IRQ 5 - DMA 1 (this one under the ESS Audodrive DMA emulation) but there is no General Midi, MPU-401 setting nor adlib 388 on dos and auto detection doesn't detect anything on any setup program (except the game Z as i mentioned earlier)

I would need more time to be able to check it with a japanese windows 95 although I'm afraid the results will be the same.

Anyway it works super fine as an exclusive Windows 9x crdom drive + sound card! And it is super fun to listen all windows 9x events and games sounding through the built in speakers.

Ah, good to know there are still some signs of life in Windows DOS session. it's always a mystery why some games have sound and some don't. Did you try any of the games that I tried in the link above? Wonder if there are any matches.
Regarding distorted sound in Duke3D, can it be just to heavy for the CPU to do this kind of software sound processing? Libretto 50 has a weak P75, if I'm not mistaken.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 552 of 579, by vespirah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Needing a tad assistance

The system I have is a compaq n400c with multibay dock the operating system is windows 98 second edition things I have done so far is aquire the drivers for it from here i had extracted the contents of cfvew211.rar and popped in the pcmcia when prompted for drivers I had redirected it to the the following directories cfvew211\sndw95\pc98 the device does get what I assume found and installed correctly except I don't get any sound from it no programs can seem to find like winamp

Reply 553 of 579, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vespirah wrote on 2023-09-02, 08:14:

I had redirected it to the the following directories cfvew211\sndw95\pc98 the device does get what I assume found and installed correctly except I don't get any sound from it no programs can seem to find like winamp

You need to use the drivers in sndw95/dosv.

Pc98 is for the old japanese PC standard which while based on the same Intel processors is not compatible with IBM PC clones.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 554 of 579, by vespirah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2023-09-02, 08:55:
vespirah wrote on 2023-09-02, 08:14:

I had redirected it to the the following directories cfvew211\sndw95\pc98 the device does get what I assume found and installed correctly except I don't get any sound from it no programs can seem to find like winamp

You need to use the drivers in sndw95/dosv.

Pc98 is for the old japanese PC standard which while based on the same Intel processors is not compatible with IBM PC clones.

Yes ! Success 🙌 thank you so much 😉 I'm guessing that's all I need or do I need to do anything else ? I noticed my quake doesn't have sound effects is there anything I need to do to make that work or does the card not have dos digital sound compatibility?

Reply 555 of 579, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vespirah wrote on 2023-09-02, 12:58:

Yes ! Success 🙌 thank you so much 😉 I'm guessing that's all I need or do I need to do anything else ? I noticed my quake doesn't have sound effects is there anything I need to do to make that work or does the card not have dos digital sound compatibility?

No that's all you need.
That card only supports fm sound in Dos, no digital sound.
I suggest you play with winquake or one of the others Windows native port if you want digital sound.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 556 of 579, by vespirah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2023-09-02, 16:39:
No that's all you need. That card only supports fm sound in Dos, no digital sound. I suggest you play with winquake or one of th […]
Show full quote
vespirah wrote on 2023-09-02, 12:58:

No that's all you need.
That card only supports fm sound in Dos, no digital sound.
I suggest you play with winquake or one of the others Windows native port if you want digital sound.

It's been along time since I played quake which is what kind of sparked the whole idea and 🤣 yeah I think somewhere in my brain was like wait a minute wasn't there winquake and gl quake and I wanted to play quake 1 and 2 like I would have in its original form any way you have been a lot of help 😉 I sure appreciate this forum it keeps the retro games and the vintage technology still going and the driver section is amazing ! Thanks again lolo799

Reply 557 of 579, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2023-07-12, 17:18:

All in all these newer machines are not really optimal for use with pcmcia sound cards. I'd rather consider using SBEMU emulator which works fine on x60s and is much more compatible with DOS games and supports both digital and FM sound.

I second that approach. An added benefit of adding support for these PCMCIA devices to SBEMU would be that it would work with both real mode and protected mode games in DOS, without having to run such DOS games in a virtual DOS session under Windows.

Reply 558 of 579, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digger wrote on 2023-09-03, 18:23:
Bondi wrote on 2023-07-12, 17:18:

I second that approach. An added benefit of adding support for these PCMCIA devices to SBEMU would be that it would work with both real mode and protected mode games in DOS, without having to run such DOS games in a virtual DOS session under Windows.

Yes, I asked crazii to add support for PCMCIA sound cards, in particular SB deirect mode. But could not convince him 😀
However there is another salvation underway. I think yyzkevin is very close to announcing his sound card. The design is finalized afaik, and he has the PCBs and stuff. It's now more or less about assembling them.
And from what I know it doesn't have the limitations of SBEMU, and is overall more compatible and has more functions.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart